Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

Stator/coil

bo dawg

Having hard time finding the exact stator/coil part off the K301s 12hp 68 charger 12.

OPE engines is trying, I sent them the pic's, he's going to try and match it up, #s off of the engine cover dont jive up. :whistle:

Question: The guy is saying the coil should come off (is this correct?), and I shouldn't need to buy the stator cause it wouldn't have anything to do with not getting spark at the plug/points. Just need to replace coil. I dont know :WRS: what to do. If it does separate do I just get the coil or both?

Thanks

Bo

Attached Image

post-3-1213627988.jpg

TT

IF it's still there, there should be a small wire bail that snaps over the plastic of the coil. Once you unclip the bail, the coil PULLS off of the armature "post". You might need to CAREFULLY work it off the armature with two small screwdrivers alternating from side to side. Don't use too much force or you could bend the laminated armature.

The Kohler part number should be cast in to the coil - usually on the same end as the spark plug wire.

Here a not-so-close picture of one with the coil removed. (you can see the bail in the top left corner.

magign301.jpg

bo dawg

Well thats cool :whistle: So if I can get the coil to remove... then I really dont need to replace the stator. The stator is still good, correct?

Bo

TT

If the stator was good, it should still be good. :whistle:

The stator has nothing to do with the ignition system on this particular model.

perry

dont forget to check the points and condenser. make sure all connections and points are cleaned. and make sure your coil wire isnt shorting out causing no spark.

just some good things to do before replaceing the coil. :whistle:

bo dawg

Well since I already have it tore down and out, I will go ahead and replace the coil only.

I don't know for sure that the stator was good... I dont even know what all the stator does :whistle: As you can tell I didn't know anything about the electrical systems till lately since I've been talking to you guys. :WRS: TT you've helped me alot, along with everybody else.

Thanks

Bo

Kelly

The stator charges your batt. You may want to do the conversion to batt. ign. after you price some of the parts you need, it's not that hard to do.

bo dawg

The stator charges your batt. You may want to do the conversion to batt. ign. after you price some of the parts you need, it's not that hard to do.

Kelly, what does it take to do the conversion to batt ign?

I played around with the stator/coil today, tryed to take off the coil. I don't see no wire clip holding it on, it's like its molded to it, can't pull the plug wire out either. Its no where close to the picture OPE engines.com sent me.

If I can make change for the better I might try.

Thanks

Bo