Sign in to follow this  
CasualObserver

Wheel Horse 9-0511 Two place snowmobile trailer

CasualObserver

Let me just start this with, this weekend I nearly passed out. :whistle:

I started Saturday out in not too good of a mood. I was already missing the auction I posted about Friday afternoon. (The one with the Raider 12 and mid-mount grader) I woke up with a pounding headache and the baby had given me and my wife a horrible night. But the reason I was missing the auction was because I had to help get ready for some family coming up. My two brothers-in-law and their respective significant others were coming to see the baby. One of the two had been a firefighter in Marshalltown, Iowa and wanted to take the long way to Minnesota via an annual farm consignment they had their just outside of town. They called in the middle of the afternoon and said they were longer than they planned at the auction and taking pictures of flooding in that area, so they'd be along after while.

A few hours later, we were sitting out in front of the house and hear the familiar sound of a Ford Focus and bouncing snowmobile trailer. (My brother-in-law calls it his "poor man's truck") He gets great mileage with the Focus and it can easily handle anything he can fit on the snowmobile trailer. Well, I lean forward to see them pull up, and nearly fell out of my chair. My jaw hit the concrete. He didn't even have the car in park, and I could see the big smiles on everyone's faces. There on the trailer was what I thought was a mythical creature! The Two Place Wheel Horse Snowmobile Trailer!!! I know of two of the single place trailers, but in my three years of researching the Wheel Horse snowmobile line, I've NEVER been able to find anything more than the brochure picture of this trailer! No one I talked to had ever seen one or had one, and most people had never even heard of it! Now there's one sitting in my driveway!!! It's in great shape, and for some reason has been brush painted green. <_ but all the decals are still intact can see outlines and it should be a nice easy restore. i don think have time to get done for show in leseuer central wheel horse events club debut here pictures... as currently sits.>

snowmobiletrailer001.jpg

snowmobiletrailer002.jpg

snowmobiletrailer007.jpg

rustbucket

OMG sweet find

Buzz

Bravo Jason , it looks like you have found the holy grail. :whistle: Now all you have to do is buy the Snowco trailer off John (Brrly1) and you'll have the market cornered :WRS:

nylyon

Jason, you beat me to it, I was going to ask for some pictures in the gallery, but you're on top of that already! Nice find, even better when it just shows up.

T-Mo

Congratulations, Jason, on such a nice score. I'm still looking for a Snowco trailer close to home and that wouldn't cost me an arm and leg. Nice trailer.

Rollerman

Very nice find Jason & look forward to seeing the ppics of the restore project when you do it. :whistle:

Brrly1

Hey Jason And you where sending me an e-mail about my single place trailer. I guess now I will have to watch for one of those. Any day of the week two horses are better than one. Congrats on the find. Definitely jealous. John :whistle:

Curmudgeon

There on the trailer was what I thought was a mythical creature! The Two Place Wheel Horse Snowmobile Trailer!!! I know of two of the single place trailers, but in my three years of researching the Wheel Horse snowmobile line, I've NEVER been able to find anything more than the brochure picture of this trailer! No one I talked to had ever seen one or had one, and most people had never even heard of it! Now there's one sitting in my driveway!!!

Well now. I'm one of the latter, never knowing Wheel Horse made snowmobile trailers. Then again, I'm a firm believer in the concept of if it's too cold to do it naked, I'm not gonna do it! Hence, I'm not to up on this whole nutty snowmobile craze..........

Great score Jason, and just think, all you had to do was sit on your front stoop and wait for it to fall in your lap! Your jaw did anyway.

Call me prejudice, but I do hope it makes it to LeSeuer!!

CasualObserver

Thanks guys... I'll definitely post the pics when I work on it. :whistle: I still have goosebumps right now.... or it could be because the a/c is on so high it's 60 in my office this morning! :WRS: The trailer wasn't actually made BY Wheel Horse, but by SnowCo in Omaha, Nebraska. The trailers were an available aftermarket piece for years before and after through SnowCo, but when WH made snowmobiles, (Wheel Horse bought the "Sno-Flite" snowmobile factory from C.E. Erickson Co. in Des Moines, IA in April of 1969, they finished production of the yellow Sno-Flites that year, and changed to making red Wheel Horse Safari Snowmobiles in 1970) they had batch of trailers "re-badged" and given a "Wheel Horse Idenity" (WH model number) There were two available. The single trailer was model 9-0501 (637) and the double 9-0511 (863) - the model number in parenthesis is the Snow Corporation model number. There's not much to be found on SnowCo any more... like Wheel Horse, the company has changed hands a few times, and most documentation has been lost or forgotten somewhere. Last place I was able to track them to was BullDog who makes jacks. I think they might also still make SnowCo tractor umbrellas, but the trailer line is long gone.

This is the page from the "Snowmobile Accessories" brochure from 1970

trailers.jpg

Curmudgeon

Like the chipper/shredder or much less common fence row mower, (which I don't think was ever actually offered by Wheel Horse, just made for them), which weren't manufactured by Wheel Horse, who cares! To me, they are all part of the companies history and worthy of being included.

I love having a fence row mower, and it doesn't even have a Wheel Horse badge! LOL

Teddy da Bear

Am I missing something? How did a trailer apparently bought by your in-laws suddenly become yours?

Is that the "possession is 9 tenths of the law" thingy??? :whistle:

It's in great shape, and for some reason has been brush painted green.
Perhaps a roaming John Deere vandal with paint? :WRS:

CasualObserver
Teddy da Bear said:
Am I missing something? How did a trailer apparently bought by your in-laws suddenly become yours?

Is that the "possession is 9 tenths of the law" thingy??? :WRS:

I guess I never mentioned that part... he bought it, and I bought it from him. He collects mostly green anyway, and wants the other JD version of the SnowCo trailers. 

Curmudgeon

Family is good like that! When my brother and I were both into Wheel Horses, we found, and swapped, a lot of stuff for and with each other.

When his personal particulars changed, and he sold everything, I bought a lot of it, and everything that was red that he couldn't sell, I inherited. Question now is, who's going to inherit what I can't sell? Price of scrap is pretty high these days.....