stevebo

520 Onan Oil Filter Number ?

stevebo

I know I should know this and saw a post about a year ago but I cannot find it while searching it. I need a cross over oil filter that I can get at a parts store as I need to change the oil. Fram, Wix, purolator etc. Can anyone help me out? Thanks!

P3x

In case you want options to purchase/cross ref. compatible oil filters here's some additional PNs:

Toro: NN10143

Onan:122-0800

Sten:120-517

Wix-51762

ben06351

I know it's a bit late but... I just rebuilt my 520HC with the Onan 20 it was a total tear down broken connecting rod, anyway

Fram----------------PH3600

just put it on my 520hc With Onan 20hp :thumbs2:

stevebo

I tried the Fram 3600 but it was too long and I could not get it to fit. I ended up with a mobil filter for $13.

MalMac

Off the top of my head I can't remember but I have a 90 520 and a 94 520 one takes a shorter filter than the other. I found out the hard way. I think it's the 90 that takes the shorter one. I ask a Toro dealer about this and he confirmed that yes there is some that take a shorter filter.

mrc

hi steve, i use and have used car quest #85764. the nice thing about this filter is it has fit every onan 20 hp engine i ever had. it is a bit longer thus holding more oil. (more is better in my book) AND it has a 1 inch nut welded to the back side for easy snugging up and removal. hope this helps you. mike in mass.

SAM58

:thumbs2: THIS IS A LIST OF PARTS THAT I HAVE USED...

Engine Oil filter WIX 51762

Transmission filter WIX 51410

Main Drive Belt 114895

Mower Drive Belt 113072 48" DECK

Mower Belt 112449 48" DECK

Mower Blades KIT 112947

Fuel Filter WIX 3133 - MANY DIFFERENT ONES WILL FIT

Air Filter WIX 46094

Spark Plugs Champion RH14-YC .025 inch gap

Fuses

System Fuse 30 Amp

Gauge Fuse 25 Amp

Light Fuse 15 Amp

HorseFixer

:banghead: THIS IS A LIST OF PARTS THAT I HAVE USED...

Main Drive Belt 114895

Mower Blades KIT 112947

Air Filter WIX 46094

Fuses

System Fuse 30 Amp

Gauge Fuse 25 Amp

Light Fuse 15 Amp

Sam on the Spark Plug dont you mean a Champion # RC14-YC instead of a RH14-YC ? :D My Parts doode doesnt show those and not much on a Google Search either. :thumbs2: On the RC's there are over 10 pages on the RH only 2. The reason why I ask is cause I need a set for my 520H.

Thanks for the other grocery list. :banghead: Oh and on the Wix filter does it have an ANTI drain back valve? I wouldnt use it if it does cause the toro's dont have them and the ant drainback valve restricts flow.

~Duke

cheesegrader

Napa 1762, Napa 1374

Wix 51762, Wix 51374

The Fram 3600 at 4 3/4" was on when I got it.

A little too long to fit perfectly, but possible to get in if you are willing to bend things just a bit.

I believe the Napa Gold filters do not have the anti drain back seal.

HorseFixer

Napa 1762, Napa 1374

Wix 51762, Wix 51374

The Fram 3600 at 4 3/4" was on when I got it.

A little too long to fit perfectly, but possible to get in if you are willing to bend things just a bit.

I believe the Napa Gold filters do not have the anti drain back seal.

On the Napa filters you listed above they do have anti drain valves ( had a friend of mine just now physically check ) and that is good because they are engine filters. What I am referring to is the tranny filter, for some reason toro does not have a Anti drain valve in them, I know cause I cut them open along with a few others. For some reason, and I would suspect that reason was they didn't was to restrict the flow. :banghead: I just had my Nappa guy pull the Wix 51410 and it does not have a Anti drain back valve so this number is good in my book! :thumbs2: Cost $ 10.21 cents which is $ 5.91 Cheaper that the toro one. :banghead:

Read about this and see the Filter Cutaways on a prior thread of mine.

Hydro Filter Discussion and Cut Away Pictures

Cheers ~Duke

:D

jimbotelho

hi Guys, can you help me out too steve bos dad, I need the oil filter # for a 417a hydro filter thanks Big Jim :thumbs2: filter is for the tranny /transaxle

HorseFixer

hi Guys, can you help me out too steve bos dad, I need the oil filter # for a 417a hydro filter thanks Big Jim :banghead: filter is for the tranny /transaxle

Jim the one I have listed above which is the Wix 51410 that one will work just fine. Should be cheaper too. :thumbs2:

~Duke

jimbotelho

Thanks very much duke!!! :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

Thanks very much duke!!! :banghead:

Your welcome Big Jim! :thumbs2:

~Duke

SAM58

:banghead: THIS IS A LIST OF PARTS THAT I HAVE USED...

Main Drive Belt 114895

Mower Blades KIT 112947

Air Filter WIX 46094

Fuses

System Fuse 30 Amp

Gauge Fuse 25 Amp

Light Fuse 15 Amp

Sam on the Spark Plug dont you mean a Champion # RC14-YC instead of a RH14-YC ? :thumbs: My Parts doode doesnt show those and not much on a Google Search either. :thumbs2: On the RC's there are over 10 pages on the RH only 2. The reason why I ask is cause I need a set for my 520H.

Thanks for the other grocery list. :banghead: Oh and on the Wix filter does it have an ANTI drain back valve? I wouldnt use it if it does cause the toro's dont have them and the ant drainback valve restricts flow.

~Duke

Duke,

You right about the spark plug, typo... :thumbs:

The Wix filter DOES NOT have the anti drain back valve.

I bought my first 520H last Feb. and read a lot about the filters before I decided to try them.

Should be the same as a Toro OEM filter. Mine had worked great without any problems. I have changed it twice so far.

Thanks for the correction :D

HorseFixer
:thumbs2: THIS IS A LIST OF PARTS THAT I HAVE USED...

Nick

Never seen a discussion of anti drainback valves on the hydraulic filters. I thought that more importantly the hydraulic filters had no by-pass valve.

HorseFixer

Never seen a discussion of anti drainback valves on the hydraulic filters. I thought that more importantly the hydraulic filters had no by-pass valve.

:banghead::thumbs: Well that is important, but I guess :D / Toro whatever thought it importand not to install an anti drainback valve, as I mentioned before in a prior post. Anything thats in the way of that oil is restriction thats most likely is why the engineers at Toro dont deem it neccesary to install one. :thumbs2:

:banghead: ~Duke

Nick

If Toro didnt use an anti drainback valve its probably not a bad idea to do the same even if its not a problem. I did notice though that the WIX site says an anti drainback valve can improve oil flow. http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

HorseFixer

If Toro didnt use an anti drainback valve its probably not a bad idea to do the same even if its not a problem. I did notice though that the WIX site says an anti drainback valve can improve oil flow. http://www.wixfilters.com/productinformation/index.html

Examining the picture below of an AMSOIL cutaway most filters have the same Basic construction Nick (I like my diagram better cause it names the parts!) :thumbs2: Anyway lets first look at how the oil flows, The oil enters the small outer holes then has to open the Anti Drain Valve which opens like an umbrella the oil then enters the filter chamber goes thru the filter through that Tube screen that keeps the filter from colapsing and out the center hole. If the filter is plugged then it pushes against the bypass valve applying pressure to the end spring opening the bypass valve and out the return hole same as before. Now I'm not an enginner but I am a Pipe fitter, and I know damn well anytime a substance (any substance) flows thru anything there is friction. In this case the pressure that it takes to open that Anti Drain Valve. I'm not arguing with you Nick, but rather the Idiots who wrote that misleading incorrect data for WIX, They need to go see the WIZARD OF OZ and get a brain cause the Ole' Duke aint buying it. Everything has friction even air flowing thru ductwork when I had my HVAC buisness when designing a furnace system air flowing thru ducts and pipes were measured in Static normally .01 in a residential system. This is how we determin the pipe or duct size and number of outlets for a certain amount of CFM. :banghead:

OilFilterBreakAwayView.jpg

• Like 1

junebug

I know this is an old post but in case someone needs the info. My manual says that my 1990 520H takes a RS14YC not RH ! I don't know if the manual is a typo or not haven't had time to see what's in the mower yet ! But did call a couple of automotive stores and they couldn't tell me what it took because had no listing for it.. I just got a 520 myself and have been checking into it.. also..was wanting help on the oil filter to !! Now I know thanks guys for the input !   :confusion-confused:  

:thumbs: THIS IS A LIST OF PARTS THAT I HAVE USED...

Main Drive Belt 114895
Mower Blades KIT 112947
Air Filter WIX 46094
Fuses
System Fuse 30 Amp
Gauge Fuse 25 Amp
Light Fuse 15 Amp

Sam on the Spark Plug dont you mean a Champion # RC14-YC instead of a RH14-YC ? :dunno: My Parts doode doesnt show those and not much on a Google Search either. :scratchead: On the RC's there are over 10 pages on the RH only 2. The reason why I ask is cause I need a set for my 520H.

Thanks for the other grocery list. :notworthy: Oh and on the Wix filter does it have an ANTI drain back valve? I wouldnt use it if it does cause the toro's dont have them and the ant drainback valve restricts flow.

~Duke

Tankman

I know it's a bit late but... I just rebuilt my 520HC with the Onan 20 it was a total tear down broken connecting rod, anyway

Fram----------------PH3600

just put it on my 520hc With Onan 20hp :popcorn:

I'm using Fram also, a good fit, inexpensive too. :smile:

The filter I removed (brand unknown?) was too long, a bit difficult to get out. Fram from now on for my 520-8.

bobert94

The short version of the fram filter is 3614

rick

Re: spark plugs  Champion RS17YX seems to be the latest recommendation for the P216G and P220G, gap still .025