Will G

1979 C-111 not charging

Will G

Hey there this is my 1st post here and I need some help with my 1979 C-111 that I got recently. It appears that the battery is not charging while the motor is running (motor is an 11 hp Briggs model 250000 with a dual circuit alternator) I am using a known good battery but every couple of weeks I need to charge it in order to start the motor without a jump pack. I have done a visual inspection and it appears that a previous owner has done some "customizing" to the wiring harness, removing the ignition light, the fuse on the dash panel, and the seat switch. The headlights are working, indicating that the AC side of the stator is most likely functioning. I will test the outputs of both sides and report back with my findings. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that they can post for me, as I would like to rewire the tractor to factory configuration. Any other ideas on what else to check?

rmaynard

:thumbs2: Glad to have you aboard.

First thing we need to do is find you a wiring diagram. Since the C-111 is a bit of an oddball, the 1979 B,C,D manuals don't seem to cover the wiring on the C-111, only the B-111, and I don't think it is the same.

I am hoping that one of our C-111 owners can share a wiring diagram. I will keep looking through my archives.

rmaynard

Okay, I found my copy of the wiring diagram. I knew I had copied one at some point, it was just a matter of finding it. This should be a starting point for you.

C111_WD.jpg

Will G

Thanks so much for the wiring diagram!

Will G

Looks like it was charging all along, at 3600 rpm I get 14.5 VAC out of the AC side of the stator and when I checked the battery voltage at 3600 rpm it was over 13 volts.

Swift Arrow

Thanks so much for asking this question Will!  I was just at my wit's end, having looked through the wiring diagrams in the manuals and noticed that they didn't match with what I had!

My tractor (also a C111) is not starting - it keeps blowing the fuse.