Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

C-161 How much is this worth?

CRE1992

I went and bought two decks today from a guy not too far away from me and he had a C-161 that the engine needs a rebuild. Here are the pictures and how much do you think it would be worth the way it is? And how much do you think it would be worth with a rebuilt engine? Its all original and has a slot hitch...

9-9-2011005.jpg

9-9-2011006.jpg

9-9-2011007.jpg

9-9-2011008.jpg

9-9-2011009.jpg

02sierra

its worth around 100 175 around here

can whlvr

probally the same here,and it wont be worth what the engine will cost to rebiuld,usually when someone rebuilds a motor its for them selves,then they know they have a good motor for many years,it can cost 3 to 500 hundred to rebuild and really the tractor would only be worth around that,even with a rebuilt it might fetch 600,and you dont know whats wrong with the engine,hopefully its rebuilable,but as for a buisness venture it would only be a parts machine imo

CRE1992

I know about the motor, the previous owner decided to change the oil so he drained, and then realized he didn't have the right oil, so he left to go get oil and his wife, now ex-wife decided to move it because he changed the oil behind her car and she couldn't leave, so the engine is now seized because she didn't think to check the oil! No wonder they got a divorce! :thumbs2::banghead:

:banghead:

Charles

That's a nice one even if it needs a rebuild. Here in the South, a really clean one like that is a tough find. It's got the hitches - just no deck or mule drive. I really like that tractor, and if he lived down the street from me I'd go over there throw down $250+ for it right now and we'd still be friends over it as well.

CRE1992

That's a nice one even if it needs a rebuild. Here in the South, a really clean one like that is a tough find. It's got the hitches - just no deck or mule drive. I really like that tractor, and if he lived down the street from me I'd go over there throw down $250+ for it right now and we'd still be friends over it as well.

The reason it has no decks, is because I bought them. I bought both of them, 42" RD and a 1991 42" RD with recycler insert that looks to have been used one. The pullies have no rust on them and the paint is perfect.. It has a snowblower and possibly a snow cab and wheel weights.

Brrly1

I have to believe in a rebuild. I know thats what I would be doin'. Good Luck. :thumbs2:

:banghead:

Yep, I like it. Imagine putting around in the yard with it all cleaned up. Your neighbors with their plastic Crapsmans will be drooling with envy over that flashy red iron. :thumbs2:

What's with the front wheels? Are they 'toed out' a bit or is that just the perspective of your camera lens? Looks weird, but the tie rods seem unharmed.

CRE1992

I took the pics with my iphone, just the angle, don't worry. I would love to rebuild it, however I don't have the money to buy it and figured I would help out the seller. He's a nice and honest guy.

corn53

Id score it!!! Maybe u`ll get lucky and can unseize the motor with a lil Marvel oil!!!

rmaynard

Did anyone else notice that he is putting too much oil in the K341AS?

9-9-2011009-1-1-1.jpg

The K341AS only hold 1-1/2 qts.

WH854

Did anyone else notice that he is putting too much oil in the K341AS?

9-9-2011009-1-1-1.jpg

The K341AS only hold 1-1/2 qts.

Hummmm My repair manual says 2 Quarts for all the big block engines. (But engines with the A type oil pan, 1 to 1 3/4 Qts . On these add 1 quart of oil, check level, then add oil as necessary to bring oil up to full).

Chas

CRE1992

The tractor was sold to a fellow redsquare member. They intend on rebuilding the engine and keeping it to use :thumbs2:.

-Charles

tommy3horse

Hello;

I have one just like this one. Came to me looking really good but the motor had a broken rod. I paid $150 for it and spent another $400 on a rebuild. So, I have a total of $550 in her and I am really satisfied with it.

Tom

:thumbs2:

jpmcleod

I look at tractors the same way I look at old vehicles. I would rather have a good body with a blown engine than a good engine in a rust bucket, Engines can be bought or rebuilt but a rusty old relic can get expensive.

That tractor sure looks good and with a good used engine would save you money and save one more Wheel Horse. I would not part it out.

Good luck.