Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

K181 Broken on the workbench and

BairleaFarm

Ive brought it up in a previous topic but I thought my 181 had a knock. I busted the belt today and replaced the solenoid. While I was doing that I turned the crank and felt what I thought was to be a slap. I could turn it left and jerk it right and feel the slap. I decided Id pull the motor to find out what it looked like on the inside. When I pulled it apart I for this in the oil pan. What is it? sorry for the crappy pic.

DSCF1968.jpg

dgjks6

looks like a piece of metal :whistle:

sorry I guess I am no help

Greg

BairleaFarm

My head gasket was leaking maybe so I decided to pull that as well. The cylinder looks great. There is alot of left and right play in the wrist pin. The conn rod was worn where is meets the crank. After removing the piston I spun the crank and everything seems well. It does seem to catch at what I think is TDC. I plan on replacing the conn rod, rings, and head while im in there. How far should I tear this down? Do they sell rebuild kits fo the fuel pumps?

catman81056

Do yourself a big favor and take it to a reputable machine shop and have them check it out. You can't just look at the cylinder and tell if its good, it has to be measured with precision instruments against factory specs.

It might cost alittle now, but it could save alot of money and misery in the future.

Just my .02

BairleaFarm

You can't just look at the cylinder and tell if its good, it has to be measured with precision instruments against factory specs.

Ive got ever tool known to man having to do with engine r/r. Ive rebuild everything for ALCO 251's, Cat D398's, Cummins VT903M's, Chevy 350's, and others. Ive never rebuild anything this small but SURLY if I can get a 3576 shaft hp motor running and in spec I can handle something like this. So it will be in specs before I reassemble (i hope).

dgjks6

No idea, but have you checked the toro parts master viewer

I looked and could not find an answer to your fuel pump question

here is the link

Then do a search for

wheel horse

riding products

year of your tractor is 1973

https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...1&partsviewer=1

Greg

sorekiwi

Cant really tell from the picture, but that's not part of the cage from one of the ball bearings is it?

linen beige

Cant really tell from the picture, but that's not part of the cage from one of the ball bearings is it?

You took the words right out of my mouth! The pic is fuzzy, but it does look like just about enough cage to hold three, maybe four balls. That might explain the "thump" when the crank is turned.

The Toro site probably won't show any Kohler parts, but Kohler's site will. I can't post a link, but if you Google Kohler it comes up.

Stigian

Do yourself a big favor and take it to a reputable machine shop and have them check it out. You can't just look at the cylinder and tell if its good, it has to be measured with precision instruments against factory specs.

It might cost alittle now, but it could save alot of money and misery in the future.

Just my .02

Thats good advise Tim :whistle:

I wish i had of done that when i put new rings in my Raider 10's engine.

Instead i now have an engine that has locked itself solid :WRS:

KyBlue

David, if you need a good machine Shop, Davis Machine in Paris is quick, and very reasonable on the cost ... Theyve done work for me in the past and its always been a good experience.

Dont forget Scott's they are a Kohler dealer..

BairleaFarm

Ive decided to do a complete tear down and rebuild. I will re use parts that are in spec.

HorseFixer

You took the words right out of my mouth! The pic is fuzzy, but it does look like just about enough cage to hold three, maybe four balls. That might explain the "thump" when the crank is turned.

The Toro site probably won't show any Kohler parts, but Kohler's site will. I can't post a link, but if you Google Kohler it comes up.

I would say you guys are correct :whistle:Kohlers website here!

Good Luck!

Duke