sorekiwi

Started on my Lawn Ranger

Brian1045

There's nuttin' better than a good looking Ranger :hide:

Good show. :D

bell

Nice work Mike! That looks GREAT! :hide:

Rollerman

BTW, you recognise the belt guard Stephen?

No I don't...that one is too shiny & nice. :hide:

kpinnc

Gators just done a K into a L-157, but I dont know how he did it...

Well, I hate to even show mine next to Mike's, but here it is:

muledrive026-1.jpg

This K181 is from a C-81. An S/G type would probably work better, because a full sized battery will not fit in correctly due to the location of the gear tooth starter.

But, I'm not sure a S/G belt guard would fit under the hood either. You got the gas tank to contend with...

I'm gonna use a smaller battery. The box is already made up, and the battery is charged:

m070.jpg

The K181's do look very nice under the hood, Wheel Horse police can kiss my foot. :hide:

muledrive025-1.jpg

Nick was the first person I've seen with a K181 on his Load Ranger. From my side at least, I owe him credit for the idea.

Dang Mike, you need to get that thing dirty... :D

Kevin

sorekiwi

But, I'm not sure a S/G belt guard would fit under the hood either. You got the gas tank to contend with...

I'm gonna use a smaller battery. The box is already made up, and the battery is charged:

The K181's do look very nice under the hood, Wheel Horse police can kiss my foot. :hide:

Dang Mike, you need to get that thing dirty... :D

Kevin

Funny looking foot, Kevin, it's got a crack right down the middle.... :hide:

Love that battery box, nice job! Is that a motorcycle battery?

What did you do to hold the gas tank up there? or does that model mount the tank to the hood?

I will get it dirty (gotta get it running first!), I'll probably just use it to mow though. I've never used an old gear drive deck - do they cut any good?

I got this Ranger for my daughter whose 4 1/2 now. She lives with grandma in Ohio, and loves going to Grandpa's farm. I thought it would be cool is she could follow the big tractor around with the Ranger, but now I realise she will just hurt herself - she has trouble not hitting stuff with her tricycle. So I'll keep the Ranger for a few years and see if her driving skills improve...

CasualObserver

I've never used an old gear drive deck - do they cut any good?

I always liked the look of the cut from my 36 inch gear drive deck under my Commando 8, especially after I put two NOS blades on it. I had a very small front lawn and it always looked like carpet.

Butch

Looks good Mike!! How does the paint feel? Can you buff it yet?

sorekiwi

Looks good Mike!! How does the paint feel? Can you buff it yet?

I think I could, but I'm not gonna!

I'm actually reasonably pleased with it. You know there is a "line of acceptability" - if its on the lower side of the line, you go ahead and try to improve it. If its above the line you leave it alone, as there's a chance you might fu@& up and make it worse. Thats where I am!

Also when I look at the whole tractor now, I am less happy with the rear fenders and toolbox, so if I do anything I'll attack those instead.

What did you decide on paint?

Butch

Mike I'm still undecided on the paint. I'm thinking of Kirkers Acrylic

Urethane. I need to find their MSDS for the hardener. Isocyanates

is a chemical I'm worried about. I don't know if all the hardners or

paints have it or not. If Kirkers has it I'll probably go with the Valspar

unless that has it also. By what I've read Kirkers seems to be pretty

good and the prices are pretty cheap. I did order 2 more Devilbiss

guns today.

What's wrong with the fenders? It's been about 3 weeks so I thought

the paint would be cured if you used the hardener. I guess if they

are kept in a cold location that would delay the curing process. I

heated my garage to about 75 degrees to apply the Por15 and primer.

Then after about 4 hours I moved the parts into the TV room so

I could turn the heat off in the garage. It really drives my wife nuts

when my projects end up in the family room!! :hide:

bell

You know, I also love the way the 36" and 32" gear driven decks mow.... Just something about them... :D

I have a spare room now... I've been thinking about doing the paint out in the garage (on the 1045) and bringing it in to cure..... Then, why not do the final assembly in the comfort of home? If I mount a set of 6-12 rear wheels/ tires... it will fit through the 32" doorways! :hide: Then, I can mount the proper rear wheels outside in the spring!!! :hide:

Just seems like it would be nice to work on it in my underwear, once in a while... :omg: :omg:

kpinnc

Just seems like it would be nice to work on it in my underwear, once in a while...

That'd be like putting toys together at Christmas! :horseplay: :horseplay:

Love that battery box, nice job! Is that a motorcycle battery?

What did you do to hold the gas tank up there? or does that model mount the tank to the hood?

It's a "sport battery" Mike, whatever that means... Got it at Advance Auto a while back. It'll turn an engine no problems, but I have concerns as to how long. If the engine doesn't crank in the first couple tries, I'm thinking I'll be in trouble...

There was a bracket on the K181 for a fuel tank mount. I've got to "correct" a part of it, but it will be a perfect fit. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Kevin

sorekiwi

What's wrong with the fenders? It's been about 3 weeks so I thought the paint would be cured if you used the hardener.

The fenders and toolbox were painted in my first attempt with the gun back in July. They're plenty hard enough, they just didnt turn out as well as the later stuff. I think my technique improved or I got better used to the gun, or the mix of paint/hardener/thinner wasnt as good... :hide: , there's also some pits in the toolbox that really need a bit more attention.

sorekiwi

Just seems like it would be nice to work on it in my underwear, once in a while... :D:hide:

Be very careful when welding! :hide:

Duff

......after about 4 hours I moved the parts into the TV room so

I could turn the heat off in the garage. It really drives my wife nuts when my projects end up in the family room!!

Tell the wife to get a grip! :hide:

When I was a kid, my dad, my brother and I rebuilt a walk-behind snowblower on my mom's kitchen table. Now THAT takes some patience in a woman! :hide:

I used to remind my wife of this story whenever she started to get a bit owly about me dragging something into the house to work on it...then I put a TV out in the workshop and now I don't mind hanging out there for hours on end! :horseplay:

Duff :D

Brian1045

I think with your garage set up, tools , and your talent shown to us thus far....it all looks really awesome! :hide: :D

Michael Bullington

I still build my horses in the house :D

heres a project resting in the living room!! :hide:

Attached Image

post-67-1226956631.jpg

Butch

I still build my horses in the house :hide:

heres a project resting in the living room!! :D

You're to be commended for that. What better way to find loose parts and oil leaks

than on white carpet. :hide:

KyBlue

I still build my horses in the house :D

heres a project resting in the living room!! :hide:

Better than a lazy boy!!

linen beige

Mike I'm still undecided on the paint. I'm thinking of Kirkers Acrylic

Urethane. I need to find their MSDS for the hardener. Isocyanates

is a chemical I'm worried about. I don't know if all the hardners or

paints have it or not. If Kirkers has it I'll probably go with the Valspar

unless that has it also.

Valspar hardener does have them. In fact, I know of no hardeners that don't use them. No need to be afraid of them, just make sure you have plenty of fresh air when you're spraying.

tasmi01

:hide: :D Mike that looks great nice fabrication work and paint

Michael Bullington

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to see if you ever got the ranger done...I been working on mine some this week Ill post some pics, when my wife gets back from vacation...(Now you see why I got something done..LOL)

sorekiwi

Hey Mike,

Just wanted to see if you ever got the ranger done...I been working on mine some this week Ill post some pics, when my wife gets back from vacation...(Now you see why I got something done..LOL)

Still not finished Michael!

Its sitting there engineless right now. I had a mystery K181 that I put on it, and it ran really well, started great, not a puff of smoke, but when you ran it hard it would puke oil out of the breather (so much oil that you would swear it was a Tecumseh!! :thumbs2: )

After unsuccessfully screwing with the breather for a while (with no results) I finally did a vacuum test on the crankcase, and sure enough at higher RPM's it was pressurising the crankcase

I have the motor apart right now, and just waiting for some spare $$ to buy a rebuild kit. There's .007 wear in the bore, so I'll go .020 over and put it back together. P1sses me off though, as it didnt puff any smoke at all, and really ran well. I would've thought that it would smoke if the motor had blowby, but it didnt.

Another option that I'm toying with is taking my H55 that came off my 502, converting it to electric start, and using that.

I've been looking forward to more pictures of yours, its looking nice!

sorekiwi

I recently dragged this one out from the back of the shed and made a few tweaks:

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

• Like 1

littleredrider

Now that is cool.......

modracer

that thing is sweet :D