Sign in to follow this  
Redbirdman

INCIDENT on the runway today

Redbirdman

Well, a little excitement this morning. Thankfully nobody was hurt at all..

But the quiet whoosh of a beautiful older airplane coming over the fence to touchdown was interrupted by the terrible sound of a buzz saw hitting a metal spike followed by the short screech of aluminum and fiberglass sliding down pavement.

:thumbs2:

A photo taken a week before the accident

MooneyGear001ssss.jpg

And about 0ne minute after the crunch

JimD

Dang Ed, that could have been disastrous. Must have been some fine piloting going on to bring her in safely. :thumbs2:

chesbaycruiser

Ed,

I thought a full tear-down was required after a prop strike...is that not true? :banghead:

Required or not, I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to fly that bird until it's had one!!!

Guess it's true what they say about ground-looping tail-wheels and people landing retracts gear-up: "There's those that have, and those that will!" :thumbs2:

Glad to hear no one was hurt.

KC9KAS

A local pilot friend had the landing gear fail on landing....he kept it flying pretty level as he landed in the grass. The prop hit the ground and was damaged and he said FAA rules state the engine must be dismantled and inspected. He was upset that FAA wouldn't let him do it as he is a mechanic....I guess not FAA certified.

dclarke

Thanks for the pics Ed, glad no one was hurt. Seems to me there's never a dull moment at your place... :thumbs2: I sure enjoy your posts, keep them coming.

MikesRJ

Glad everyone is safe. A good landing is one you walk away from. :thumbs2:

Redbirdman

FAA rules state the engine must be dismantled and inspected

Yes..true (and I'm not sure of the exact rules) But a Lycoming with a gear reducing front end only has to be rebuilt in the gear reduction section and inspected beyond. A Continental has an easily cracked crank so the crank has to be replaced and engine rebuilt completely. One way or the other I think I would want everything done!

Last summer a guy in an older low wing twin let one wheel drop off the edge of the taxiway.... he did not even notice it but people at the gas pump heard the prop go zzzzzzzing..... Total cost prop and engine rebuild: $50.000.00

ed :thumbs2: