Sign in to follow this  
BairleaFarm

Starter/gen vs. rectifier

BairleaFarm

Is the starter - Generator setup better than our rectifier setup?

Curmudgeon

Um, hard to say since they two are only vaguely related.

The starter/generator is just that, a combination starter and generator, whereas a rectifier both regulates and changes the AC current from an alternator to DC current.

Now is a bendix starter and internal stator better than a starter/generator? Well, since everyone has changed from the latter to the prior for many reasons, I'd have to say yes. Weight, efficiency, and no belts are some of the reasons why.

BairleaFarm

Seems the Starter.gen is the cheaper way to go. Ive thought of weight as being an issue with these tractors.

TT

Forgive me for asking, but why do you want to know? Are you having charging system issues?

If you currently have the A.C. alternator and the gear drive starter, it would be more logical to repair it (if something is not working properly) than convert to a S/G.

perry

i personaly like the S/G style better. all the ones i have had and have just seem to start a whole lot better than the noisy gear starters.

you can have a weak battery and just touch the key and the darn kohlers just come to life.

maybe its just because the 1960's style tractors are my favorites :whistle:

BairleaFarm

I might be havening problems but haven't gotten that far yet but I think I am. Its just that the parts hare higher for my system and the s/g systems seems to be alot simpler.

TT

I realize you have found other problems, but here's future food for thought....

A starter / generator has bearings, brushes, and an armature that all wear. If the engine is running, it's turning. The voltage regulator is mechanical with contacts that can burn, corrode, or stick. The S/G takes a V belt to run it which also stretches and wears. And you can ask anyone who has been trying to find a belt guard just exactly how hard they are to get and how much they can cost when you finally find one. :D

The 15 amp A.C. alternator system on your Kohler has no moving parts (unless you count the ring of magnets glued to the inside of the flywheel) and the R/R is a solid state part that requires little to no maintenance. A few simple tests with a volt meter will indicate any problems, and the hardest job of working on this system is usually removing the flywheel and/or getting the stator screws loose.

The gear starters are very dependable units, and unless someone sits there cranking an engine over continuously until the starter gets overheated, they will last a long time. (and it certainly doesn't hurt to put a little grease in them occasionally :whistle: )

Used parts are available and can be found relatively cheap. (ebay is not the only place to find used parts. :WRS: )

Both systems have their seperate merits AND faults, but I would have to say that the best one for "no-touch" care is the alternator/gear starter, and the COOLEST one is still the good old starter/generator. :D

Curmudgeon

More food.

Whatever the engine/tractor was designed with originally would be the most logical way to go. Given how many parts have to be changed to convert from one system to the other, including flywheels as well as all the starter and generator/alternator parts, not to mention the voltage regulation systems, right down to possible wiring changes, wire terminal changes, etc. To convert from one to the other, given both have advantages and disadvantages, simply doesn't seem like it would be worth the hassles involved.

PetesPonies

if the starter works fine, but there is a charging issue . . is there a problem within the starter/gen that can allow it work in starter mode but not in charging mode? I'm not talking about regulator or other possible charging system problems, I mean the starter/gen only. Thanks

KyBlue

Theres a good place to get stuff reman on Georgetown rd in lexington, follow 25 into town, cross New Circle Rd, it'll be about 3/4 mile on the Right..

perry

COOLEST one is still the good old starter/generator. :WRS:

:whistle:

HorseFixer

:whistle:

Ill second that motion my president! :D :WRS:

Curmudgeon

if the starter works fine, but there is a charging issue . . is there a problem within the starter/gen that can allow it work in starter mode but not in charging mode? I'm not talking about regulator or other possible charging system problems, I mean the starter/gen only. Thanks

I've been told if it works one way, it'll work the other. Stands to reason as it's all the same windings, magnets, etc. that makes them go no matter the function.