Sign in to follow this  
cham-ed

K241 oil pan question

cham-ed

I purchased an 857 that someone had mounted a K241 on. They had made a homemade mounting plate for the engine. I am now rebuilding the engine and I have taken it off the frame. The problem with the last person' s solution is that the engine sat too high and they had to bend the lower edges of the hood out to fit the engine, it also did not have an air filter on the carb (maybe that's why it needs a rebuild????). I am now wondering if poor fit was the reason for no air filter?

The Kohler parts look up calls for an oil pan #236265-S, which is a shallow pan. The pan I have is shallow. Another item of interest is that the oil drain faces the rear (opposite of the carb side). Now the real question, are there two shallow pans; one for rear drain and one for forward? Or a more nasty possibility that the block may be drilled and tapped differently??? I'm sure one of you KNOWS the answer. I sure would like to attach the engine at the right height on the frame.

The Kohler spec look up says that my spec was sold to Wheel Horse for a tractor. Thanks

Cham-Ed

kpinnc

Not sure on the pan spec, but the drain location is not a problem.

A couple of my Kohlers have the same drain location, and a couple short, standard iron pipes and elbow to direct the oil drain out to the right side of the tractor in front of the battery box.

Kevin

TT

:whistle:

The only "short frame" tractors that used the shallow pan big blocks directly mounted to the frame were 1965 models. (1045 was actually late '64)

If your tractor is an 857, it should have a K-181 8hp Kohler.

Is it possible that you could take pictures of what you're working with and post them here?

Kelly

I agre post pic's they are worth a thosand words.

I have one of each of the tractors that came with 10hp engines in the short frame tractors, not only the pan is diff. but the belt drive pulley's are diff. as is the main belt guard but that can be modified, also the clutch pulley set up.

I wonder if they mounted the pan backwards (front to rear) to set the engine over to the left of the frame (from the seat) to make the drive belt line up, the mounting pattern is off set, I will go take a peek at mine to see if that is a posabilty

I post back in a little bit, and get a pic.

Kelly

Ok went out to look at mine, the oil drains from the rear, has a 90deg. and a short straight with the cap on the end.

100_9444.jpg

here is a pic of the front of the pan it is about 1" tall, bolts go through the frame into the bottom of the pan.

100_9441.jpg

here is a pic of the belt guard, if cut to match this one you will need the belt guide that is bolted to the block just below the pulley at about 5:00 it helps the belt release when you push the clutch in, I think?

100_9443.jpg

and another of how much room to the hood

100_9445.jpg

any questions just ask, I'm sure we can set you in the right direction.

cham-ed

:WRS: I want to thank you for the information on my 857. My Dad had a 702 with a k161, so I am aware of the numbering system, but I don't have a K181 on hand but I do have a K241. The 702 had power enough to tow my 1972 Chevy Kingswood (this is what would usually be callled an Impala) about a mile when the Chevy's starter died. And Tim Taylor would happy for more power and so am I. so I would like the extra power of the K241.

Here are some pictures of the frame and the hood. I hope you can see the bent out edge of the hood. The frame seems to show where the K181 was, plus some other holes. Since I now know from you guys that the engine was not really an option for my 1967 frame, I will do what is needed to get a good fit of the engine. :whistle: One more question do any of you know what the piece of square tubing is doing hanging off the left side of the frame? I was planning to trim it off as I can't figure out what it was for.

A million thanks

Cham-Ed

P.S. I don't know how to include pictures in the body of the message so I attached a file with the pictures

cham-ed

:whistle: I read another post and found out about photobucket.

frontofframe.jpg

oldholesinframe.jpg

endviewofhood.jpg

sideviewofhood.jpg

Kelly

Post some pic's of the oil pan, and the plate they used to mount it.

cham-ed

Well here are some photos of the mounting and pan. First the plate:

plate-1.jpg

and the pan and plate:

plateandpan.jpg

I could only easily get three of four bolts in, but it did have four when I got it

undersideofpanandplate.jpg

The plate mounting bolts came up through the frame and nuts on the top side held it in place.framewithbolts.jpg

here is a side view, you can see the plate and the nuts raise the motor quite a bit.

0806150007.jpg

Again I ask the question, does ayone know a purpose for the piece of sq. tubing sticking out from the LH frame rail at the front?

thanks

Cham-ed

HorseFixer

Again I ask the question, does ayone know a purpose for the piece of sq. tubing sticking out from the LH frame rail at the front?

thanks

Cham-ed

I had an 857 and mine did not have that tubing. It looks like some kind of a bracket :WRS: take it off most likely you wont need it! :whistle:

Duke

cham-ed

:whistle: thanks Horsefixer for the reassurance I can cut that tube off.

Cham-Ed