Sign in to follow this  
John T

Paint shop costs

John T

I have selected a reputable paint shop in the area for my C-120 restoration project. They have recommended a local sandblasting shop for prepping all parts which sounds sensible to me, and it will cost me less than the paint shop stripping, and also all the rust will get removed. The paint shop is giving me a rough estimate of $2500 +/- for this job which includes 2 part urethane finish and metalwork / bending / welding where necessary (fender mostly, a small bit on the hood grille). The story is that it is hard to setup (takes a lot of time) for prime and paint to get at all surfaces. The shop was recommended to me by a big lawn equipment dealer in the area.

Out of the ballpark? Thoughts?

rmaynard

After the restoration is finished, the C-120 won't be worth the price of the paint job in my opinion. :thumbs2:

Ever thought of trying to do it all yourself? You can buy the urethane paint, an HVLP sprayer, a decent compressor, plus have it sandblasted all for way under $1000.

Martin

i agree with what bob says. you could buy all the equipment and learn to do it yourself. start on some of the easy stuff like small brackets, frame etc. stuff thats not really seen that doesnt need to be perfect. leave the tins till last, until you have practiced enough on the rest of it and have built up some confidence to tackle the high cosmetic stuff.

you could make a bunch of mistakes and be able to fix them many times and still be way ahead on the cost quoted. take the parts to the blaster and get that done, but try to do the rest yourself. nothing feels better than finishing something off like a tractor and being able to say you did it yourself....... :thumbs2:

and learned something new as well.

something that will benefit you on another project, should you get bitten by the :banghead: bug.

can whlvr

that does seem to be alot of money to put into a small tractor even though it is a wheel horse,im sure it will be really nice but i think i agree with the others,but if you are not interested in restoring this machine,and you can afford it go for it,but as bob says it wont fetch near that even when done

Forest Road

Doesn't sound like you shopped much? Just last month I got a price if $1250 to sand blast prime and paint a 2-stage snow blower. There was no way I was going to spend that kind of money. I just started talking to people and found a painter who knew a blaster. Its running about $500 - 600 including primer. I went with Valspar restoration paint to save about $100. The painter recommend a fleet paint for $180. Although I would have liked to have used his paint. Its a snowblower!!!! My goal is to preserve it as a rust free tool. I won't be going to the county fair.

Ask some if your friends if they know anyone who does body workon the side.

HorseFixer

YIKES! :D Thats way too much money to spend even for a turn key job IMHO. A C-120 is a nice tractor (I have one) and there is no way I would put that kind of money in a C-120 tractors paint Job. You will find for that kind of money like RMaynard said by doing yerself, you can get a urethane job, Mtr rebuilt, all new rubber around, and plus have some tools that can be used for many more years to come. :thumbs2: Of course all of this depends on your mechanical ability :banghead: If you donot have the abilities then maybe you are forced to spend the long dollar?

Cheers ~Duke

:banghead:

buckrancher

:thumbs2: $2500.00 + did you tell them you not buying a new tractor.

that's as much as the c 120 was brand new

jbumgarner

I would have to agree with everyone, $2500 seem much to high. I had my '64 Chevy II done a couple years ago with a lot of body work being done and only paid $1800. I thought that was high, but it turned out really nice. I think you should shop around or try to do it yourself like others have pointed out. Painting isn't that hard, but my warning would be to take your time and do the prep work right. The prep work generally will make or break the paint job. Just my .02

m2424j

:DPainting is easy. The hard part is the prep work. 90% prep work for a good paint job. You can purchase all the tools, including a compressor and all the materials for the price of that quote. The good side to doing it your self is the next time you'll be more efficient and turn out better work. You'll also have the tools to do it again. You can get a sand blaster at your local tool rental shop or the tractor supply store. Try it you might like it. :thumbs2:

DrabHorse

I'd say that sounds about right for a restoration shop charging an hourly rate, and making every thing straight and nice top and bottom with high quality automotive paint.

If it was just going to be a blast and paint with an industrial line paint, I would guess you'd still be looking at about 1000 for the blast, setup and spray time, and materials at a restoration shop.

Now I think it is too much to spend, see if you can do at least some of the work yourself.

Just curious, was this a regular autobody type shop or a restoration / custom shop?