Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Harrow type Thingy

Stigian

Howdo all, first of all sorry for the lack of build posts from me :D

Life has never been so busy, so finding WH time (apart from grass cutting) has been hard.

In other news i have been given the :WRS: from my landlord to extend my workshack :)

The bad news is lots of digging is needed to put a decent base down.

My snowplow/blade :dunno: will be handy for pushing earth about, but i need something

to loosen it all first.

HHmmm i feel a build coming on :D

Chapter 1 - Heavy metal and a big spring.

First job was to get the clevis hitch off the trans from whats left of my 1971 Raider 10.

Not a fun job due to many years of rust. In the end i had to cut the pin both sides

:P

Anyway, after lots of swearing/smoking/drinking coffee the clevis hitch moved to its new home :D

100_3147.jpg

After a bit of :whistle: ing about what to build the harrow out of, i noticed that the two bolts on the clevis hitch were almost in the right place for bolting on a tow bar :(

Ta-Daa a Mercedes C class tow bar :(

DSC00372.jpg

How to file and smile as demonstrated by Garry :D

100_3162.jpg

This chunk of metal is what the tow ball would bolt onto, but with quite a bit of file work to make the holes closer together it bolts onto the clevis hitch :D

It was at this point that we first noticed the big bit of box section was longer one side.

Oh well, time to buy some more cutting disc's.

100_3165.jpg

While attempting to set himself on fire with hot sparks, Garry also managed to make a start on cutting the tine/digging in the earth bits :D

100_3166.jpg

Thankfully Garry remained unburnt and cut all 9 of the tine :D 's, as shown on the WH display table :D

100_3171.jpg

Time for some serious metal cutting B)

First off was the very solid mounting plate's, closely followed by a trim to a couple of mounting brackets.

100_3173.jpg

100_3174.jpg

Thats looking better with all the junk removed, and a bit of trimming down one side to get both sides the same length.

Oh, you may of noticed the bar is mounted so the ends hang down now, and not point up.

100_3176.jpg

Pause to catch my breath

:D

Stigian

Breath back and smoke rolled, now where was i?

Oh yes, tine attachment time :D

A bit of :whistle: ing was called for as the main harrow bar/ bit of box section wasnt

straight, but at least it was bent evenly :WRS:

The center tine was welded on first after making sure it was in the right place and more importantly square.

With a straight edge clamped on the end of that tine, it was easy to work out the correct height for the rest :D

100_3179.jpg

Never being someone to miss a chance of taking a daft photo :)

Death Race 2000 anyone?

100_3186.jpg

I think it looks better as a harrow :dunno:

100_3187.jpg

As always safety was on my mind :D so i though some kind of trip spring would be a good idea, just in case the tines catch on anything big and solid buried underground.

Its only mocked up in this photo, but you get the idea.

The three bolt holes on the green bit will mean i can change the angle of the tines as well as the shock giving me adjustable spring tension :D

100_3194.jpg

Thats all for now, stay tuned for more of the same :D

Rollerman

Cheers Ian & thanks for shareing your :D harrow :D:dunno:

We've been waiting for the next Ian Buildup Fix.... :WRS:

Hope it works good for you as a harrow...but you may need to do some pulley/motor mods for the death race. :D

Do I see a dual hyd lift dozer,harrow,dualy tire, stacked tractor in the works now? :whistle:

Jim_M

Nice job Ian. You're like the Dr. Frankenstien of the Wheel Horse world, scrounging parts from dead equipment and combining it into a useable thing.

kj4kicks

Another great Fab job Ian & Garry !

Lookes like it will tear up some dirt.

Nick

The harrow thingy looks great and should do some damage on the dirt. Maybe ya should put a slip scoop on the build list to move dirt and building material. :WRS:

Might also want to make the harrow tines flip up straight for the death race. Some of Carradines finest work. :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Ian,

well done. Are you going to use this to open of some water flow out of your nasty swampy areas?

Nah, that would be no fun :whistle: :WRS:

KyBlue

Nice Construction Work!! Looks fantastic Cant wait to see it finished and in action

CasualObserver

Awesome and well narrated... as always!! :whistle:

TT

Ian, that's a :WRS: looking ripper :D you fabbed up! :whistle:

Kinda reminds me of ones used on dozers.

Liebherr.jpg

The shock damper is a great idea, and it will be nice to be able to increase or decrease the angle of the "teeth" by just changing the pin location. :D

kpinnc

Most impressive Ian! :whistle:

Great idea with the trip feature as well!

Keep us posted!

Kevin

Teddy da Bear

Interesting...and good concept.

But if I remember the photo correctly....you used square tubing for the tines and just angle-cut the ends of each tine? I think it would be more effective of "cutting" into the soil if you had more of a knife edge on the leading edge of those tines.

Thankfully Garry remained unburnt and cut all 9 of the tine whtractor/thingy.gif 's, as shown on the WH display table biggrin.gif

I've got one of those tables too! Doubles as a saw horse, work bench and tool holder. :whistle:

Mith

Looking good Ian.

Isnt big steel so much fun :WRS: Looks like 1/4" wall box on the frame?

BTW, that grinder photo made me cringe, I've got a bit of a grinder safety complex after the whole grinder finger slice thing.... :D (get a handle for it :whistle:)

Stigian

Wow... Cheers for all the great comments guys :D

It makes all the hard work worth while :D

We've been waiting for the next Ian Buildup Fix....

Glad to help you all with a build fix :D

I have missed having the time to build something, you cant beat being down the shack welding and grinding :D

Do I see a dual hyd lift dozer,harrow,dualy tire, stacked tractor in the works now?

You never know Stephen :D

Oh anyone know if the steel cable that lifts the clevis hitch on the Raider will fit my 312?

Nice job Ian. You're like the Dr. Frankenstien of the Wheel Horse world, scrounging parts from dead equipment and combining it into a useable thing.

Cheers Jim M, that really make me smile :dunno:

I like to use what i have around me and make it work.

Do you guys ever catch yourselves looking in skips (are they called small dumpsters in the US?) (oh, not idea why we call them skips by the way) in other people yards/gardens for usable junk?

My Wife and i found are selves doing just that while sitting in the back of a vintage Roll Royce on the way back from getting married :P:P

Another great Fab job Ian & Garry !

Looks like it will tear up some dirt.

Cheers Eldon, i hope it will tear up the dirt my back isnt upto loads of digging these days :(

Garry is one of those great guys thats alway willing to head over and help out of he isnt working. Building things would take so much longer without Garry's help, so cheers old chap for all your help and the mad moments you bring :D

The harrow thingy looks great and should do some damage on the dirt. Maybe ya should put a slip scoop on the build list to move dirt and building material.

Cheers Nick. Not quite sure what you mean by a Slip Scoop :whistle: ,but i am planning on building a blade type :) that will attach onto the harrow tines so i can drag dirt about and not just loosen it.

well done. Are you going to use this to open of some water flow out of your nasty swampy areas?

No nasty swampy area about at the moment, in fact my garden is slowly starting to turn into a dust bowl. So maybe i need to dig something for getting water into the garden :(

TT That dozer in the photo looks like it would be great fun to have a "play" with :(:P

Im not sure my Landlord would be too happy if i cut a 8 lane highway through one of his fields though :WRS:

Most impressive Ian!

Great idea with the trip feature as well!

Cheers Kevin, as for the trip feature... well i had to build in a bike part somewhere :(B)

Interesting...and good concept.

But if I remember the photo correctly....you used square tubing for the tines and just angle-cut the ends of each tine? I think it would be more effective of "cutting" into the soil if you had more of a knife edge on the leading edge of those tines.

You did remember the photo correctly Mike :D

Putting knife edge cutting :D 's on the tines is one of the jobs on the list to do.

Also by "blanking" off the bottom of the tines, means i can fill the tines with something hard and heavy.

A bit of extra weight is always handy, and as the tines are quite thin walled a bit of extra strength in them cant be a bad idea B)

Looking good Ian.

Isnt big steel so much fun Looks like 1/4" wall box on the frame?

BTW, that grinder photo made me cringe, I've got a bit of a grinder safety complex after the whole grinder finger slice thing.... (get a handle for it

Cheers Jim :D

Yeah this "heavy metal" is quite fun to play with... I must add a plasma cutter to my wish list though B):o

Dont worry Jim, ive no plans to cut any of my fingers off with the grinder :)

I do have the handles for my grinders somewhere, but i find i have much more control over the grinder without one. Also more comfortable to use.

I should wear gloves when grinding as well, but i never do.

Its like driving with boxing gloves on, you cant "feel" whats happening.

Catch you all later with an update, the workshack is calling B) :D

Stigian

HHmmmm looking at my last post ive no got the "quote" button lark worked out yet.

:dunno: Oh well im sure i will get loads more practice :D

Chapter 2 - That big spring and some lighter metal.

Its been one of those days where despite the best layed plans, things didnt go quite according to plan so its a bit of a small update im afraid :(

Continuing where i left off yesterday, i got the mounts welded on for the trip shock :D For those of you that are wondering what its from, it came off of a kawasaki Z200.

For someone who is more used to welding panels made from computer case's, welding this thick steel is a bit of a challenge even with the MIG turned right up!

Got there in the end though :whistle:

Angled back

100_3234.jpg

Angled forward :D

Oh, i added some extra holes for more adjustment.

100_3235.jpg

And now onto the slightly lighter metal :(

As recommended by Mike :WRS: the cutting tines would work better with a knife edges on the leading edge of the tine.

Ta-Daa 9 cutting pointy :D 's :D

100_3237.jpg

Here they are partly welded in place.

I must remember to be careful not to kick them as i walk past :D:D

100_3238.jpg

A view from the top :)

100_3240.jpg

And thats about it for this update, i didnt get as much done as i wanted too today,but there's always tomorrow :D :D

Nick

The cutting pointy thingys give it a :WRS: look. :whistle:

Slip scoop buckets have come to be more often called Johnny buckets and Im sure you have another term for them over the pond. This is what I made with scrap metal. It can lift 100 to 200 pounds without to much pain in the lift arm. :D

th_scoop003.jpgth_scoop2.jpgth_scoop1-1.jpg

Stigian

Evening all :dunno:

Cheers for posting your pic's Nick :WRS:

Nice work by the way :D

A slip scoop/johnny bucket would be a very handy thing to have, just added it to the "must build one day" list :D

Today has been a fun and testing day, well the testing has been fun :D

Chapter 3 - A bit of welding, a bit of fun, and some bent bits.

Start the day the welding way :D

Im sure a doctor would recommend a nice healthy no fat breakfast and a jog around the park, but i prefer welding :D

Dont you just love it when a plan, (sorry) weld come together :D

Im not sure if you guys are the same but some days my weldings rubbish and others its very good

Today was one of those good days :D

Bit of a blured photo, but im proud of the welding.

100_3295.jpg

The tines have always worried me a bit, only welded onto the main bar and maybe prone to bending if i hit something hard in the ground.

More bit of box section welded from the bottom of the tines to the bottom of the main bar will do the trick, but i didnt fancy cutting 9 bits of box section all with different angle at one end <_<

So i took the easy way out and welded a bit of angle iron across the bottom of the main bar. Now all the tine strengthening bits of box will all be the same :)

100_3297.jpg

For some strange reason thoughts then turned to mounting the harrow on the back of my 312-8. Swapping the clevis hitch over was easy, but a bit of :whistle: ing was

needed on the lifting cable front... or is it back :D

The cable was sorted by using an old bike lock cable, one of those plastic coated steel cables you wrap around a lamp post, having remembered to loop it through the bike first :D

By the time i thought about taking a photo of it, it was hung under the 312-8 so here's a photo of the off cut.

100_3302.jpg

One end of the new lift cable had a loop on it which was soon fixed to the bottom of the lifting handle the correct WH way, the other end was a bit more fun as it needs to attach onto the clevis hitch.

Here's my solution, just feed the cable through and tighten the screws.

100_3298.jpg

And for now a few photo's :(

100_3308.jpg

100_3312.jpg

100_3317.jpg

More to come tomorrow morning with some testing photo's.

Sorry to keep you all waiting, but my bed is calling.

Stigian

Good morning guys, I feel so much better after some much needed kip :WRS:

er... Chapter 3, Part 2 - Some fun and some bent bits :D

As you might of guessed, with the harrow hanging on the 312-8 the tempation to give the harrow a test (even though its not finished) was to much to resist :D

Test 1 was done on quite light dirt, not bad :D

100_3320.jpg

A lot more weight was needed to get the harrow to dig in well and not try and skip along the surface.

Its very hard to take photo's while acting the part of the extra weight (Garry was driving), this is the best pic i managed :dunno:

100_3325.jpg

The extra weight did wonders for the cutting depth so a harder challenge for the harrow was quickly thought up :D

HHmmm.. loads of stones and rubble :whistle:

100_3327.jpg

Of course something had to give seeing that i have not put all the strengthening on the harrow that i plan too.

The good news is that it was only 3 of the cutting blade :D 's that got bent :D

100_3328.jpg

Right, wheres the big hammer? :D :)

T-Mo

Ian,

Always excellent narration. I was wondering about those knife tips bending or dulling over time. Maybe you need to also add a weight box to the mix? :WRS:

Looks good, though. Another great job and looking great. :whistle:

linen beige

Just a thought, What about adding a strip of narrow steel that runs vertically along the front of each "tooth"? Say, 1/4 inch thick x 1 inch ( insert metric equivalents.) :whistle: or so wide. These would act as cutting adges AND reinforcing ribs.

nylyon

I need to get a new smiley for "We Want Video" just for you Ian! Seriously though, it looks great you may need your triangle thingies a little more stout though.

KyBlue

I think Jims idea of adding a verticle Rib from the center of each 'point' back to hte main arm, to act as a reenforcement

Weight box...how about welding up a seat or two..haha

linen beige

Weight box...how about welding up a seat or two..haha

Or at least some foot rests for the photographer. :whistle:

CasualObserver

Ian, instead of added on tips, what about cutting an inverted v in the bottom of each tine, and hammering/welding/grinding them into a blade at the bottom? I would think you wouldn't have to go very high, maybe an inch and a half? Any taller and you might start to get unstable. I'll see if I can come up with a picture of what I mean.

CasualObserver

Ok, I suck at drawing on the computer so don't laugh (too hard)...

here's what I mean. What you're missing is the skinny knife-like edge to cut into the soil like a coulter does for a plow.

Attached Image

post-4-1213803257.jpg