Sign in to follow this  
Stigian

Harrow type Thingy

Stigian

But you are RS's resident mad scientist

Thank you Stephen, i shall take that as a compliment B):whistle:

Trial and error is the way to go JD Terry, the only way at times to see if something works is to build it and see B)

If something doesnt work then at least i know how not to do something again B)

No progress report today Im sorry to say guys, what little work i managed on the shift assist today wasnt enough to warrent even picking up the camera B)

Stigian

Sorry, sorry, sorry, its been so long since my last update :banghead::banghead:

So where did i get too Im asking myself B) Oh yes working out how to attach the "lift assist" to the lifting arm.

But first a bit of distruction of more unsuspecting bike parts :whistle:

The top shock mount carefully being removed.

PICT1029.jpg

The bottom of the shock not being carefully removed :banghead:

100_3568.jpg

Don't you just love the picture quality of Garry's camera B)

This must be one of those classic recycling pictures, the bit of stainless tube is from an old hoover, the flat bit of steel was cut from an old mower running board/step B)

and the bracket was a Kawasaki z200 rear shock mount :banghead:

PICT1036.jpg

Weld it all together and add a strengthening plate.

PICT1058.jpg

All will become clear in this next photo :)

With the strange bracket fitted to the lifting arm the top "lift assist" mount was soon worked out.

A big nut was welded onto the bottom shock mount that Garry cut from er... the bike shock, and then welded (not done in pic) to the top of the lift assist.

PICT1061.jpg

A quick rattle can paint job later and the lift assist looked much better B)

100_3575.jpg

Stigian

Speaking of paint, the harrow got a quick

100_3571.jpg

Very quick coat of paint B)

100_3573.jpg

And that's about it for this update B)

Other than a couple of quick vids of the "lift assist" in action :whistle:

Rear Lift Link Thingy

Front Lift Link Thingy

Nick

As usaul nice work and desctiption of the project. B) Looks like it might save your left arm. Now whats the cutting tool being used on the shock? I dont see a cord or gas engine anywhere and not even some nice sparks. :whistle:

linen beige

Now whats the cutting tool being used on the shock

I think that's what was called a kerf buffer. Very common in the old days I've heard.

T-Mo

Ian, it seems to work pretty good. I like the foot control, my JD has a foot controlled lift on it and it's really nice and comes in handy when I want to "change my cutting height of the deck" temporarily. B)

Stigian

As usaul nice work and desctiption of the project. :whistle: Looks like it might save your left arm. Now whats the cutting tool being used on the shock? I dont see a cord or gas engine anywhere and not even some nice sparks. :banghead:

Thanks Nick B) Yes the lift assist should give me a bit less arm ache. I just have to remember that the lift assist has its own working speed and no amount off pulling or pushing will get it to move any faster :banghead:

As for that strange tool that Garry is using, it was the only way to cut the shock top off without lots of heat that would of melted the rubber......................

Had to take the rubber out anyway to weld the shock top in place B)

Ian, it seems to work pretty good. I like the foot control, my JD has a foot controlled lift on it and it's really nice and comes in handy when I want to "change my cutting height of the deck" temporarily

Thanks Terry B) Yeah it works quite well though the Lift assist would be better if the chair part had more working travel.

I guess this is the final chapter in the harrow building book, as everything is bolted in place awaiting to be put to use.

If the weather is ok tomorrow it will be time to put the harrow and blade to the test, and start digging out the base for the workshack extension :)

To finish off, a couple more photo's B)

The second one is my wallpaper :banghead::banghead:

100_3643.jpg

100_3650.jpg