Sign in to follow this  
Rusty_Tractor

2 nice mower decks, which one to use on my 520H

Rusty_Tractor

Hello everyone. I have been using a B-100 with a really nice side discharge deck all summer. I recently bought a 520H that also has a 42" deck, and I want to keep the best deck on the 520.

The deck that came with the 520 is a little different than the other one. It has a bigger drive pulley, a slot along the back edge of the deck, and a heavy duty plate on top that the spindles mount to. It cuts well but has faded paint and some surface rust. In the photo, it is the one on top.

The other deck has a smaller drive pulley, no slot along the back, and no extra steel plate on top. It also has almost all of its original paint and cuts great. It is the shiny one on the bottom.

Both decks work well and the baffles underneath are intact. My question is if I keep the nicer looking deck with the smaller pulley, am I going to give up anything? I assume the blades will run faster due to the smaller drive pulley. Any opinions? I am going to sell the B-100 and the unused deck.

Thanks a lot,

Jamie

6089931489_b14d17f00a.jpg

6090478676_6c96b2e3c3.jpg

6089933349_fd20d25227.jpg

6090476054_bb79918d3e.jpg

6089934035_c51f41ed09.jpg

TT

The one with the reinforcement plate, larger pulley, and the height adjuster on the left side should be a 48" deck.

cheesegrader

Sell them both and get a 60" deck.

The real beauty of the 520 with the forward swept front axle

is the ability to mow with the 300-pound beast dragging from the belly!

cheesegrader

The older deck looks like one I used to have.

Look at 1542sc02 1990 42" side discharge.

Wet grass used to catch behind the baffle away from the discharge chute, causing rust-thru. Two of the three aluminum spindle housings had cracks. It cut fine, but looked like hell.

joedavis

The only problem I see with the 60 inch deck is you can't raise it high enough to keep from dragging it around and my yard isn't a green at the club so I switched to a 48 inch side discharge! If some knows a way to raise it to 3.5 to 4 inches please let me know!!!