Sign in to follow this  
rydogg

Miller stick welder

rydogg

I have not welded since I was in school (20+ yrs ago) but I need a welder for the shop so when this little Miller came up for sale I picked it up. It is a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC stick welder that has only been used once or twice, it came with the TIG setup I don't believe this would be any good for TIG welding since it doesn't have a foot control and it would be scratch start only but honestly I know nothing about welding :thumbs2: . I really need a MIG welder but this was only $200 for everything so I will hang onto it for the thicker metal and possibly try to TIG until I find a reasonably priced MIG for the thin sheet metal. Anyone with TIG experience here? How easy is it to learn? Does it work well on thin sheet metal? I was offered a Century GL170 Pro (MIG) for my Miller but I can't find any information on it does anyone have any idea if this would be a good welder?

craigslist244.jpg

craigslist243.jpg

mavfreak

I tig welded at my last job.

It is pretty easy but your welder really isn't the easyest to learn with.

The centry brand has been around for a while and I know of a couple of people who have them. You can Google that and read about it. :thumbs2:

If you can have someone show you how to use your TIG i think you would like it.

It wiuld be hard to do in this thread.

But a mig would probly be a better choice.

Kelly

I say mig weld with gas all the way, I just a month or so ago bought a new mig. from TSC a Hobart 140 the big 110v if you where closer I'd sell you my old mig, still works I just steped up to a bigger one, I had a Century a long time ago it was a good cheap welder about like the Hobarts, see if you can play with the Century before you buy it.

bigd

arc welding and sheetmetal dont mix unless you are a good welder.century is a decent welder i doubt that they have built anything that would match that welder you bought that was a great deal by tthe way.

Don1977

I have a Miller Thunder Bolt that's 40 years older than that one still going strong. It takes some getting use to but I believe you can get done. The heat chart for the rods are on the front of your welder. Like they said it's not good for sheet metal. Start out with 3/16" or thicker with 714 rods, making the welds look good takes practice.

shorts

Looks like a good deal from here, Miller owns Hobart and they are both good machines. I have a Hobart 210 that I like a lot, but their are times when a AC/DC stick welder would be nice to have like for a portable package or to use outside where wind affects the shielding gas on the mig machine

bitten

I would keep the Miller. If you feel you really need a MIG save your money and add that to your shop. Remember you can never have to many tools.

6wheeler

I agree with the post before this one. I have an old Miller Thunderbolt 125, probably one of the oldest 240v's around and I wouldn't trade it for nothing PERIOD. Save your pennies and add the mig. You can't have enough tools and welders :D. ( Or tractors, Bows ,Guns, Baseball stuff and anything else that fits in your shop :thumbs2::banghead::banghead: . Pat

for $200 it was a good buy.

i agree , save your money and buy a mig. a friend of mine just bought the 140 Hobart from Northern Tools for less than $500. i was playing with last week and it worked great

as for tig , i suggest you give it a try...you have the stuff anyway. play with it , it's not hard but takes practice.i have had my L-tec tig (formerly Linde, now Esab) for about 20 years and i love it. i use it a lot on chassis work were you want the welds to look real nice , but i can't see myself using i on a lawn tractor. even after 20 years i still don't consider myself an expert tig welder