Sign in to follow this  
Wheel Horse Kid

How to get paint off decals and plastic parts?

Wheel Horse Kid

Hi,

I purchased a Wheel Horse tractor a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to fix some minor issues on it.

One of my next task is to get the white spray paint spots off of the decals and some of the plastic parts (like the areas around the headlights and the plastic transmission shift board. The previous owner must have been painting something else and accidentally got some white spray paint on the tractor.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anybody has any ideas on how to get the paint off the decals and plastic parts without having to replace them?

Thanks!

fourwheels0

i've used mcquires wheel cleaner (in the red bottle)with great success.

it removed rust and paint spots from my stickers.

i guess gas could work also if your careful.

flyovrcntry

I have had real success with oven cleaner.Just spray it on and let it set for a few minutes,not too long. You will have to experiment with the time.After the paint is removed then wash it with soap and water because the cleaner will coninue to work.

312Hydro

Try using "Goof Off" it is pretty safe . I think it's in the paint section of Home Depot.

boovuc

Goof off or other citrus cleaners work well with water based paints and some oil and acrylics. Otherwise, any alcohol like isopropyl or even acetone may work. More aggressive solvents may discolor or even delaminate the label.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

gd.pudge

i have used polishing compound with success just be careful not to go too far and rub the ink off the decal

whfan74

Taylor,

Though it still may be paint, the first thing that popped in my head is that it is wax. If the PO was a little careless while applying wax to the tractor and it made it to those areas it could look like white paint.

I agree with the opinions above. :thumbs2:

COMMANDO1

When i did my commando the entire decal was covered, i used spray paint stripper and waited until the paint bubbled, then wiped off. took a few times but finally got it.