Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

How do you test an Electric pto?

hounddoghundzsa

I'm having some issues with the electric clutch on my GT14. If I put a continuity tester on the two wires coming out of the pto and it is showing good (continuity) - does that mean it is still good? Or, am I going about this the wrong way??

rmaynard

A continuity checker will not tell you much. The wires could be shorted inside and a continuity checker will still read continuity. Or everything could be good and you get the same indication. You need to check it with an ohm meter. If it is shorted, you will get a reading of 0 ohms. If it is open, you will get no reading. If it is okay, you will get a reading of a couple of ohms.

This only tests the electrical portion. If the electro-magnet is good, but the clutch plate is not moving, then you have a mechanical problem.

If you apply 12 volts to the clutch with the engine off, can you hear it click?

hounddoghundzsa

A continuity checker will not tell you much. The wires could be shorted inside and a continuity checker will still read continuity. Or everything could be good and you get the same indication. You need to check it with an ohm meter. If it is shorted, you will get a reading of 0 ohms. If it is open, you will get no reading. If it is okay, you will get a reading of a couple of ohms.

This only tests the electrical portion. If the electro-magnet is good, but the clutch plate is not moving, then you have a mechanical problem.

If you apply 12 volts to the clutch with the engine off, can you hear it click?

I got going on the Clutch today - It did have the "click" you speak of. I could also see the plate moving in and out. I put everything back together and it worked :thumbs2: . I'm thinking there's a loose connection somewhere, but haven't found it yet as I got sidetracked by another issue. The parking brake lever was cracked in half, so I had to take the tensioner pulley off and weld the lever back up - Wifey was even impressed with my weld job! :banghead: .

So, for now, I think the clutch problem is fixed.

What would cause an engine to sort of "belch" when you try and start it up. It's almost like theres too much compression. :banghead:

Thanks!

rmaynard

What would cause an engine to sort of "belch" when you try and start it up. It's almost like theres too much compression. :thumbs2:

Other than a "belch", does the engine seem difficult to start?

hounddoghundzsa

What would cause an engine to sort of "belch" when you try and start it up. It's almost like theres too much compression. :thumbs2:

Other than a "belch", does the engine seem difficult to start?

It'll start, and runs good.

rmaynard

That engine has a compression release system. It slightly lifts the exhaust valve during the starting cycle to make it easier to turn over the engine. After 300 RPM is kicks out. If that is not working, you will be trying to start under full compression, but I don't know that it would cause the engine to "belch".