Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

homemade hydrailic lift idea

rustyoldjunk

i put one of my snow plows on my C160 to do a little light leveling sometime soon.i gotta tell you im getting soft in my old age or this stuff keeps getting heavier :WRS: anyhow i have a cylinder and control vavle from an old case and i have a control vavle from i think a 317 john deere.what im wondering is,if i were to use a power steering pump driven off the kolhers crank would it work? oh btw i also have the hydrailic tank from the case i would find somewhere to mount.if it would work would it be strong enough? any comments,ideas or help from the hydro lift experts would be greatly appreated.not sure whether i want to try it or not,just looking for thoughts.i really like the clean looks of the c series and it would have to tuck in nicely.come to think of it i do have an electric lift off a john deere 112 :whistle: :D

refracman

Ive heard of power steering pumps used like this before, either Joe or Nick can help on the specifics. I do know they have to rotate the correct way but which way I dont know. :whistle:

kpinnc

Pop used one on a Sears Suburban, and it's VERY strong.

Don't know what car the pump came from, but it's one with the resevoir on top. He uses a starter/ generator pulley setup on the pump.

In short, they do work.

Good luck,

Kevin

rustyoldjunk

hmm.....i may have to look into this more.......

Nick

For a clean intsall an electric lift setup installed like the factory system might be best. But for me electric actuators while strong are just too slow. Your idea for a hydraulic lift might be the harder of the two systems to complete but in the end it could be more usefull. WIth the addition of a 2 spool valve you could even add a 2nd hydraulic circuit for a 3pt hitch, power angle plow/grader blade or even a small loader or slip scoop. :whistle: My brother used a remote reservoir power steering pump to lift and angle the 8' plow on his truck. He had no problems with it after years of use.

I'm no hydraulic expert but like to search around www.surpluscenter.com for hydraulic ideas.