Sign in to follow this  
cushionartist

310-8 No Head Lights

cushionartist

So, I recently aquired my first WH. I've been doing some minor maintenance ( oil changes, gear oil change, etc). My next task is to fix the head lamps. I have replaced the fuses in the electrical system. My problem is that I do not seem to have DC power to the lamps. I have 19.25VAC to the head lamps. I have checked the grounds and they seem fine. The lamps themselves have resistance across them, so I'm thinking they should be good, but I'm not sure. I'm out of ideas on this one.

MikesRJ

Start with the simple things first ... your lights are powered by alternating AC, not DC.

1) To get the lights to turn on, the starter switch needs to be in position 2. (Position 1 is Off, Position 2 is Accessory Power, Position 3 is Run, and Position 4 is Start.)

2) Once the engine is running and the starter switch is backed off from Position 3 to Position 2, the light switch needs to be switched to the ON position.

First Question: Have you performed the above, if so and you still don't have lights (or AC voltage at the lamp sockets, continue below.

3) Do you have AC on both sides of the switch (using the engine as ground) when the switch is in the ON position? Yes, continue: Only one side, flick the switch and try again or replace the switch if it still doesn't show voltage on both sides; No voltage on either side, trace the wiring back to the engine, may be a bad wire.

4) Using the engine as ground, do you have AC at the Lamp Sockets? Yes, fix the ground at the light housing: No, check the AC power wiring.

Here's the schematic:

Lights.png

can whlvr

do you have 12or so volts at the switch?you can run a wire direct from the battery to the bulbs just to see if they work,if you have voltage at the switch you need to trace the feed wire to the bulbs,as i said in the other post you need to check all the connections once you test the bulbs,see if you have power to the switch,i just recently got a 414 that the lights didnt work,it was the fuse holder,the wire had pulled out inside the fuse holder not letting power to the switch,i wiggled it and saw my lights go on a bit,put a new fuse holder in and shes good to go,start with bulbs,connections,power to switch and then if nothing you need to check the wire coming from the motor that powers the lights,usually a bad wire or connection though