Sign in to follow this  
Dapper Dan

Lookin at a 520 H

Dapper Dan

First post here....NICE board!

Spotted a REALLY clean 520 H recently.

Gonna go look at it Saturday.

Few questions...if you all don't mind.

This tractor is a 1995 year model and comes with a 48" deck (two years old) and a 36" tiller as well as a 48" blade. It has 611 hours on the meter. Everything looks "as new". (At least in the pictures)

Price is $2000 (OK?)

Questions:

Is this the same Onan engine that was problematic in some of the John Deeres?

Are the hydro units in these strong?

The tractor does not have power steering.....my last two big mowers (JD 455's) have P.S. and it has kinda spoiled me. Does this model steer fairly easy with no assist?

What should I look for when I see the tractor, first hand?

I don't need this mower at all as I have both a JD 400 and a 455 (Is it OK to mention that here? :whistle: ) BUT I have always thought a Wheelhorse (especially the 520) just looked....MEAN and I could use the tiller and blade as I don't have these for my JD's.

Thanks in advance!

kj4kicks

:whistle: Dan. I saw that one on ebay, and asked about the hours on it. Price doesn't seem too bad for the shape it's in, and the goodies that come with it.

Even though it doesn't have power steering, it has the next best thing, the gear reduction steering.

Let me put it this way, if it was a little closer, it would be living here!

Dapper Dan

Tell me about this "gear reduction steering" (please)

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare. The Onan engines in these machines are good. There have been some folks who have had valve seat problems, but overall they are good engines. The Hydro is an Eaton 11, a good strong unit. The 95 520-H has reduced effort steering and although not power, it should be easy. I have only driven 1 520 and that one was very easy even with a FEL on it.

$2000 with that low hours and accessories isn't all that bad. Pictures will help though.

Again :whistle:

Nick

The reduction gearing is what it sounds like, it uses a reduction gearing setup to reduce steering effort but does require more turns of the wheel from lock to lock. It isnt power steering but like the others have said it does help.

I watch to much TV so I cant resist :whistle: "I dont want FOP, Im a Dapper Dan man" :WRS: