Sign in to follow this  
kajamo240

36in Tiller Hookup

kajamo240

Hey guys, I recently picked up a tiller (1960's I believe) and the setup is almost complete. I have two pairs of pulley's but not entirely sure it will work around the transmission. I have the pulleys that will bring the belt down below the footrest but I dont see much clearance for it to fit around the axle. I've seen pics while searching and saw that there might be a pulley that would eliminate the belt from going over/under the transmission but the one I saw was mounted to the tiller. I'm not seeing any holes where one may have been mounted...

Any ideas how this would work? Or should I just fab up a pulley on the tiller to bring the belt under the axle? I'll try to get pics uploaded sometime tonight with all the parts that came with it...

Thanks!

• Like 1

Operator

Just in front of big pulley on tiller there should be another small pulley , flat faced that will get belt under axle. I'd have to look on mine to see if it was bolted through tiller frame or a welded on bracket.

kajamo240

I'll get some pictures uploaded today of everything I have with it... I dont have any problem fabbing something up if need be...

shorts

IIRC the early tillers had the small idler pully on the quick attach bracket on the rear axle, I don't think their is any functional difference but having the idler on the tiller is convent :thumbs2:

Operator

Matt on mine there is a bracket welded to the inside of tiller frame then a flat idler bolted to that.

kajamo240

Thanks guys for the help... I think that I might have to weld a pulley onto the tiller like Randy's. I think it might be easiest and only require 1 extra pulley... I know it was last August when I promised these but here are the pictures of it... The first picture is where I have my problem... as you can see, its slightly congested...

Okay, well apparently I need to read the "how to" section on uploading photos...

I'll read up on that after dinner and get the pictures uploaded..

kajamo240

Okay, I'm nice and full.

In the first picture, you can see its pretty tight in there and not much room for the belt.

IMAG0157.jpg

So you're saying that the idler pulley goes between the drive pulley for the tiller and the front of the tiller? Do you have any pictures of yours Randy?

Kelly

They made a special axle bracket for use with that tiller, it had the tiller idler on it, and it was made with round bar stock not the flat stock axle bracket like you have, I think another member here has the bracket you need he bought it a few months ago to use with his newer tiller and it didn't fit, if he don't chime in send me a PM I'll get with him.

kajamo240

Did it look like this one? Because the guy that I bought the tiller from, sold this with it...

IMAG0156.jpg

Kelly

That one goes in the mid attach matic, I'm taking about the rear axle bracket is special for the tiller, with a idler pulley on it, and is made of bar stock.

Paul D.

Kelly, correct me if I am wrong but I believe the bracket I've got is what is needed here. PM me if you want it. You would need to use the hooks from your existing brackets as I stole them for the axle bracket that I made.

Kelly

You are the person I was talking about Paul, does your bracket have the idler pulley on it or at least the bracket for it?

Paul D.

No. It doesnt have the pulley on it. Here is a pic of it. Let me know if it will help

Paul D.

No. It doesn't have the pulley on it. Here is a pic of it. Let me know if it will help

Paul D.

The one I have doesn't have the pulley bracket on it. I will post a pic of it later tonight.

Paul D.

Here are some pics of what I've got. Don't know if it would help but it's available if ya want it.

image-26.jpg

image-28.jpg

kajamo240

Interesting. I've never seen one like this! Where the bar the goes across, is right in front of where the tiller hooks into the slots to its not the fact that its in my way, just trying to rig something up to get it under the axle without hitting it.

Randy, do you have any pictures of your set up I could look at?

Kelly

Ok I knew there was a thread here about the old style brackets and tillers, read this thread it should help you out.

kajamo240

Thanks for the link Kelly! Now, looking at it, I think It should be pretty simple to get an idler welded onto the tiller to keep it under the axle.