Sign in to follow this  
Tee

trans question please

Tee

I just bot a hi/lo 8 speed out of a raider 10. its a 1970 model 1-6051 is this a 6 speed or 8 speed countin reverse. anyhow i need the seal numbers for the drive pulley shaft and the brake drum shaft. also do these hi/lo trans have different axle shaft sizes 1" or 1 1/8th. thanks for the help. oh and i busted somethin in my 4 speed pullin the 950 hot stock no governor 8 horse kohler pulled 134.57. then it broke hahahha. thanks for all the help fellers

kpinnc

6 and 8-speeds are the same thing, they were called one or the other based on what the year model of the tractor was. The following thread might help explain that:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30676

BUT- an 8-speed from a 1970 Raider 10 will more than likely have a 10-pinion differential. That differential is built to provide "limited slip" traction, but they tend to break under heavy loads.

I would definitely not use it for competitive pulling. You would be asking for trouble if you did.

The differential is quite easy to swap out to an 8-pinion though. Those are far more rugged.

It's also easy to determine which tranny you have. With the rear wheels up off the ground (or the transmission free to turn on both sides), simply rotate one wheel or hub. If the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction, you've got the 8-pinion (far stronger) differential. If it turns the same direction, only slower, it's the weaker 10-pinion.

Good luck!

Tee

6 and 8-speeds are the same thing, they were called one or the other based on what the year model of the tractor was. The following thread might help explain that:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30676

BUT- an 8-speed from a 1970 Raider 10 will more than likely have a 10-pinion differential. That differential is built to provide "limited slip" traction, but they tend to break under heavy loads.

I would definitely not use it for competitive pulling. You would be asking for trouble if you did.

The differential is quite easy to swap out to an 8-pinion though. Those are far more rugged.

It's also easy to determine which tranny you have. With the rear wheels up off the ground (or the transmission free to turn on both sides), simply rotate one wheel or hub. If the opposite wheel turns the opposite direction, you've got the 8-pinion (far stronger) differential. If it turns the same direction, only slower, it's the weaker 10-pinion.

Good luck!

looks like i got the the 10 pinyon . hubs goes same direction. oh well imma put it in and go from there. i reubild my old 3 on the tree. lol thanks so much for info.