Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Bright headlights

Sparky

So I put a new battery in the 418-A and took it for a spin......in the pitch black. I hit the light switch and nearly jumped outa the seat. The headlights are the brightest I have ever seen and seemed to shoot out forever into the night. Took a closer look and they say Halogen on the lens. Went out to the shed and checked the GT1142 and the 312-8 and all 3 of my black hoods which all have the sealed beam type headlights but they aint Halogens and I know they arent as bright. Dont know what the cost difference is yet (Halogen verses regular) but when the lights go out in my other tractors I'm thinkin Halogens the way to go.

Mike....brightest guy on the street :D

• Like 1

kj4kicks

Hey Mike, If I remember right, halogens are about 40% brighter than the old style. Nowadays, there's not much difference in price.

Guess you'll need your sunglasses at night!

Eldon.

• Like 1

nylyon

I didn't realize that there are 2 different bulbs, certainly something to check especially with snow plowing season coming up... I saw a pair of lights on eBay but they don't mention Halogen. Thanks!

• Like 1

Sparky

Yep I just went back and checked those on E-bay but they dont say Halogen.

Eldon...are they also a higher wattage lamp? I know that standards are 35 watts. I hope the charging circuit on the older "non-halogen" tractors can handle the extra draw.

Mike....

• Like 1

nylyon

I checked the parts viewer, and my 414 and 416 show the same part. When I look up the 418, it has a different part number for Halogen lights. Maybe you can get a night shot of the difference....

• Like 1

T-Mo

I do know on my Deeres the newer tractors have brighter lights than my older ones did, but I'm sure they're not halogens. Maybe I'll get a set of Halogens for the 314-8.

• Like 1

nylyon

From what I can find, the Halogen part numbers (Toro) are 110792 which supercedes to 99-7310. The bulbs are about $20 each which is quite high.

Mike, can you tell if there is a mfg number on the back of the bulb? There is probably a GE equiv. which would be about $10.

• Like 2

nylyon

Ok, here is a list of the PAR-36 lights which would fit. According to the eBay listing the std. bulb would be a 4406 which are line 3. These are 600 candle power. If we take the ones at 35 watts, that would leave #4, 6 and 7. My guess is #4, but I can't find if it is Halogen or not. FYI, I looked in the 1985 brochure and ONLY the 417's had Halogen, all others including the 416 were regular sealed beam. There is no mention of Halogen in the 1993 catalog, they all just list High Intensity.

• Like 1

kj4kicks

As you can see from Karl's chart, the wattage doesn't really change. So the halogens are a direct swap.

The driving lights that I'm putting on the C520 are 55w each. If you convert it over, they will use 3.9 amps. That circuit has a 10 amp fuse. The tail light draw is minimal. Technically, you could install about 200 watts worth of lights before you would need to rewire anything.

Hope that helps brighten things up !

Eldon.

• Like 1

nylyon

The one thing to keep in mind with this is more light = more heat regardless of the wattage, and there is a lot of plastic around those lights.

• Like 1

T-Mo

The part number for the headlight on my 314-8 is 102881. I wonder what that would equate to on Karl's chart?

• Like 1

Curmudgeon

If it can't be done during daylight hours, it doesn't need to be done. That's my motto.

And yes, I break that rule.

My original Wheel Horse, one of the few I no longer have, was used at night a lot. Hey, I was younger then, so I, YES drilled a couple of holes in the hood and mounted some automotive driving lights. Lit up the neighbors yard as well as my own. Wonder they never complained! Probably cause they are just cows. Literally. LOL

Dale

• Like 1

nylyon

Part number 102881 = 4411 on the chart that much we know for certain..... Hopefully Mike will be able to read a part number on the lights and we can find out what these mystery bulbs are?

• Like 1

T-Mo

Part number 102881 = 4211 on the chart that much we know for certain..... Hopefully Mike will be able to read a part number on the lights and we can find out what these mystery bulbs are?

4211 or 4411?

• Like 1

nylyon

4411, sorry corrected the post

• Like 1

Sparky

OK, I got the #s. The bulbs are GE H7610 Says 50 watt on em.

Mike.......

• Like 1

Sparky

Hey Treed. Part # 102881 is the same part # for my 418's halogen lights.

Mike....

• Like 1

Sparky

According to WWW.RPCW part# 102881 is $21.30. Ouch :D !

Mike......

• Like 1

nylyon

Mike, are you sure on the part number, your 418 should be part number 110792 which supercedes to 99-7310. Anyway, you can get the bulb for about $10

H7610 $10.20 PAR36 Tractor-Trapezoidal Beam 12.8V 50W Screw Terminals C-6 400 Hours from on-line stores. Just do a search for GE H7610.

• Like 1

Sparky

Karl....

I was wrong....I think.... :D . The parts breakdown gave 2 numbers for headlights and one was 102881 and the other is 110792. RCPW didnt come up with a match so I wasnt able to get a price from their website on the 110792 but your price of $10-$11 sounds good.

Mike.....

• Like 1

nylyon

Check out http://www.1000bulbs.com/ and in the search box put in H7610, no idea what the shipping will be though.

• Like 1

nylyon

I wonder if Tractor Supply would carry them?

• Like 1

kj4kicks

OK, here's what I found out. The 55 watt driving lights are now mounted in the C520 hood. (Pics will be posted tomorrow) After a few minutes, they get pretty hot. Now bear in mind, these are small oval driving lamps, with not much surface area. They would no doubt melt the original style 160 lense cover, since those tractors never came with a "high intensity" option. Now there is no doubt that I will make that lense removable.

The newer 300, 400, and 500 series use the larger bulbs (more surface area), and some of them came with halogens. To me, that means that the black plastic bezels should be able to tolerate the heat. A 55 watt car headlight does get a little warmer than a conventional style, but not by much.

I've got a not-so-good set of bezels off of the 520, if somebody with halogens wants to try them. If they melt, no loss!

Eldon.... smilin' , and you know why!

• Like 1

kj4kicks

Here's the "bright lights" on the C520:

h1.JPG

More pics on the other thread.

Eldon.

• Like 1

Rollerman

Eldon I'm in awe of your handy work with the hood!

Thats incredible....heck I'd be happy if I could spot weld in some tank straps on an RJ 58 I'm fixin up.

Thanks for shareing with us again Eldon...very nice!

Stephen in northern IN......"a rattle can amateur"

• Like 1