Sign in to follow this  
bigben

agricultural tires

bigben

I have a stock 418-8 and have a very hilly back yard. Sometimes when I'm cutting the grass the tires slip coming up the hill, especially when I hit pine needles or if there is dew.

Can I just swap my rear tires for more aggressive tires?

If there a down side.

I assume that because my tractor doesn't have a posi rear it won't tear the place up.

Ben

rustbucket

you might want to try wheel weights first then go to a more agressive ag type tred. Carlise makes a decent ag tire and i have dualies with their ag's wrapped around them but not on a horse of course. oter thing to look at is if you like turf tires and the look then try finding a style where the tread is a hair more agressive but still turff tred.

TT

Make sure you're only running 8 to 10 psi in the rear tires too. If you have the tires pumped up too solid, they can't flex and conform to the contours of the ground, which also results in less traction.

As previously mentioned, any kind of ballast weight on the rear of the tractor will help.

rustyoldjunk

but if you want the ag tires (like me,i want ags on everything,whether i need em or not.i like the looks) i believe 23 8.50 12's will work just fine on your tractor.jim

Teddy da Bear

I run ag tires on my IH lo boy. And it likely weighs 3 times what a wheel horse does. It does not normally leave any marks in the soil when mowing. It will leave tread marks in the spring when the ground is soft.

kpinnc

Ben,

Ag tires are great, and no, under normal use they will not tear up the ground. Your 418 has a good differential in it.

That said, if you do slip a bit, those ags will dig a hole faster than you can get your foot on the clutch. You'll have to be careful....

Just my $.02. :whistle:

Kevin

T-Mo

Ben,

Ag tires do work great for those areas where you need more traction. Some people shy away from them thinking they will damage your yard, but I find that spinning the turfs do more damage than a gripping ag tire. :whistle:

Jim_M

Ben,

Ag tires do work great for those areas where you need more traction. Some people shy away from them thinking they will damage your yard, but I find that spinning the turfs do more damage than a gripping ag tire. :whistle:

My sentiments exactly. I have a fairly hilly yard and was constantly spinning my turf tires and ripping up grass, since going to ag tires I have no problem at all.

MaineDad

I have Ag tires on mine and the lawn is fine. I actually like the fact that the Ag tires don't collect grass clipping and carry them into the garage :whistle:

LowAngle.jpg

Curmudgeon

What everyone already said! LOL

Air pressure, wheel weights, and ag tires in that order.

Why that order?

Cheapest to most expensive!

bigben

O.K...I'm sold! Not only will ag tires do a beter job...they look real cool also.

Next question, should I visit my local dealer or is there a place I can order online?

HorseFixer

I have Ag tires on mine and the lawn is fine. I actually like the fact that the Ag tires don't collect grass clipping and carry them into the garage :whistle:

LowAngle.jpg

Besides that they look cool :D and make yer tractor look meaner than a junk yard dog! :WRS:

Duke

Curmudgeon

O.K...I'm sold! Not only will ag tires do a beter job...they look real cool also.

Next question, should I visit my local dealer or is there a place I can order online?

There are several places online. I use http://shop.cedarrapidstire.com

Check them out, then head to your tire dealer. Quite often your local tire shop will have, or can get, garden tractor tires. I've often found them to be cheaper as well as keeping the money in the local economy. I don't do large chains though, I prefer the local guy.

T-Mo

Ben,

You can get them online, ebay, or a tire dealer. Wherever you can find the best deal. I know a few here used ebay as their source. The Cedar Rapid tire link Dale provided is a good source. So is Miller Tire and a few others.

rustbucket

someone say meaner lookin??

Attached Image

post-3-1213236173.jpg

hodge

I just put a pair of 23x12.5x12's on my 520, and I already had a pair on the 1600. I have banks to mow, and they are fantastic. I don't use weights. I paid $144 for the tires and mounting, at a local shop. That was less than I could find online, or at Tractor Supply, just for the tires.

rustbucket

anuther more horrid pic. the wheel horse you see in the back ground left is the parts tractor for the GT-14 that now lives in the garage between a dead cherokee jeep and a 76 datsun pickup.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1213236402.jpg

Curmudgeon

As long as you don't need to fit chains on there, a set of 24x12x12's look pretty cool too!!!!!!!!!

linen beige

If you anticipate also plowing any snow you may consider trying chains. That's after low air pressure and weights, even loading your back tires with fluid, but before paying for a set of good ag lugs. That gives you some chains for ice.

I, on the other hand have dual ag lugs with chains on the inner set of ag lugs on my 702. It will push a foot and a half pile of dirt or snow all day. It will slip now and then under heavy load, but the duals don't dig holes as fast as singles. I would like to add a set of original weights, just haven't really looked for any.

Robbie C.

you may want to take a look at western auto if you have one close Ben i bought mine(2) for 105.50 mounted carlisle 23x8.50-12.

Duff

I have Ag tires on mine and the lawn is fine. I actually like the fact that the Ag tires don't collect grass clipping and carry them into the garage :WRS:

Micah,

Could you please give me the specs. for the make, model and size of your Ag's as pictured? I think they'd go well on my '89 312-8!

Thanks! :whistle:

[your neighbor] Deereman :D

MaineDad

Will send info tonight from home...

T-Mo

Micah,

I will say that you have one mean looking tractor there. Nice. :whistle:

MaineDad

Thanks! Here she is all dirty :whistle:

WheelHorseDirty.jpg

GlenPettit

We have a DISOUNT Auto Tire store, there they can order garden tractor tires and install them the next day or two, prices were the lowest I could find plus no shipping charges. They have a special catalog you can sit and look at with dozens of tire treads to fit your Wheel Horse, had five different 23:12" bar-lugs treads, all with free installation.

Glen