Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

put a tractor together for grandpa

JUSS10

a few months back i had gone over to my grandpas to turn over his driveway and pull some of the weeds with a make shift harrow i had built. ever since then any time i would go over he brings that up. He has quite a large barn and as my collection grows, a few of my tractors end up over there. every time i would bring one over to store, he asks if i have one for him. well one day i went over while they were gone and brought a 654 home. its pretty much all there, steering is decent, all original with very little "vandalism" to it. brought it home, rebuilt the carb and actually got that old techumseh running pretty good. checked the fluids, changed out the seat, found a set of AG tires, rewired it, loosened up the stuck cables and got it up and running pretty good! i also went and snagged his sprayer last week that i put together to put on the back of his lawn mower, he didn't like it much on the back cause he was a afraid he'd break off the sprayer boom not seeing where it is. That said, i made a quick attach bracket for the front of the tractor and mounted the sprayer up on the front. put the make shift rake on the back and now he has quite the machine to do driveway work with! I'm pretty excited to bring it over tomorrow. not to bad for getting thrown together in a few days, he should really like it :woohoo:

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0169.jpg

WheelHorse58

Thats pretty interesting nice job on the sprayer!

HorseFixer

Nice machine Justin :D he should be happy with that! :woohoo:

~Duke

Duff

That's quite a set up, Justin - nice work!

Out of curiousity, how much liquid can he put in that sprayer tank without the rear end coming off the ground? :woohoo:

Duff :D

Kelly

I like it, just watch what is used in the sprayer, as he will be driving right though the mist.

JUSS10

thanks everyone!

as for how much it can hold before it gets tipsy, i haven't tried yet, but if it becomes an issue i have a set of concrete wheel weights i cast a while back that i could bolt on.

Kelly, thats a great point, he uses it for weed killer, right now the mist really isn't bad at all, the nozzles pretty much shoot straight down, if it becomes an issue i can move the boom lower to the ground. worse case, it will get moved to the back like the sprayer i built for my 854

Justin

Gene_S

I like it, just watch what is used in the sprayer, as he will be driving right though the mist.

Very, very, very good point Kelly!!!

As for the tractor Justin your being a "great" grandson and memories are priceless... :woohoo:

stevebo

It is great to see you taking care of grampa. He will remember it !!

massey

Nice job helping out your grandfather like that.

ol550

Looks like it might work, but how well does it steer? Next how long can

it run the pump before the battery goes flat? :woohoo: Mike

JUSS10

steers just fine. battery charges with no problem, been running sprayers on my round hoods since I've had them with no issues. charging system seems to be working just fine to me.

shorts

:woohoo: sweet machine

from the info that I've seen on weed killers you want large droplets that fall instead of a fine mist that floats on the air so that you only apply chemical where you want it and not in the flower beds

JUSS10

the nozzle on here aren't misting nozzles, they offer a constant spray. it works quite well when he had it behind his old tractor, just wants to see where he is spraying so i mounted it on the front of this one.

Retired Wrencher

:woohoo: :D:ROTF: Justin nice job very nice R/hood . Every time I see a project like this when it involves Family and generations and hand down to the next it reminds me of this picture because this in my book is what it is all about. Gary B............... wheelhorse_pic1.jpg

JUSS10

well i think he liked it! brought it over this afternoon and at first he thought it was just another tractor that i needed him to store. it was once he saw his sprayer on the front that he put it all together. he just couldn't believe it was for him! he sat down and said it brought back memories of the old farmall A he used to own, just a lot smaller and more practical for the current house :woohoo: he hopped right on and started to rake up the driveway. I have a feeling he'll get a lot of seat time on this machine and find as many uses as possible to drive it

i didn't have my good camera so all i have is cell phone pics, but i figured these will do

Justin

IMAG0170.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

(and i did do a voltage check, the 3 Amp charging system can't quite keep up with the sprayer so he'll have to use it in moderation, at least the engine doesn't use a coil that requires the battery to run)

New-To-Red with C-195

Great job! I took a car battery and mounted on the back of my Kaw Mule that runs my sprayer. It will run the sprayer many times before it needs charged again too. Many times you can go to an auto parts store with a volt meter and they will let you purchase the ones people return as cores too! Then they only cost you about $7. :woohoo:

can whlvr

this is a great story,i would imagine your granpa is a very proud grandfather :woohoo:

shorts

looks like a happy man with a super grandson, :woohoo:

corn53

Awesome job and I love that Grandpa will be using it!!! Nothing better than taking care of family!!! :woohoo:

dkopp

That is a neat setup you did there.

Coadster32

Very nice!! :woohoo: Making Grampa happy is a wonderful thing.