Sign in to follow this  
Mykol610

New tractor questions...

Mykol610

I'm a new wheel horse owner.

I got one about a month ago for winter to plow my driveway. It's a 1057. Well, about a couple weeks ago it would crank over but not start. So I took it to a nearby shop and had them check it out. They said the connecting rod was broke and would need replaced. I'm thinking instead of spending 200+ to get it fixed, I would just get a new motor and bolt it in so I would have extra parts if needed. Or maybe getting a little bigger engine to swap to it.

My main question is would the engine in this (http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/grd/2523004048.html) be able to be bolted in it's place? Or if not, what decent engine could be bolted in place in mine. Possibly something that would mount up to the 3 speed transaxel and work in the space it has. and be able to use most (if not all) the exiting electronics. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JimD

:woohoo: The engine you are looking at is a vertical shaft engine. The 1057 has a horizontal shaft engine, so it wouldn't work in your tractor.

rmaynard

:woohoo:

MikesRJ

How about replacing it with an original K241 short block. They go for about $600.00 and you wouldn't have to modify anything. Besides, more horsepower on that machine is wasted money. 10hp is plenty big enough for what you are likely to use it .

Searh ebay for the likes of 130559822397

Raider12

:woohoo: :D

how about fixing the existing motor yourself? a new connecting rod isn't very expensive. if you have some mechanical skills you would save some $$$ , if you don't maybe someone could help you

JUSS10

your best bet would be to bolt another 10hp kohler in there. but those fetch can a pretty high price even used. 2 to 300 dollars. at that price i would replace the connecting rod.

if you are set on not replacing the rod, then start looking for a comparable motor such as a larger briggs and straton, tecumseh, or even a Wisconsin (those they are harder to find) of course, bolting in any motor besides the one you have will require some modification. you will probably need to make a motor plat or drill new holes in the frame. you also want to make sure you find one with electric start or at least a charging circuit so you can run electrical items off it. if you dont find any need for electric you can just get a pull start and use a kill switch and the wiring is done. you also want to make sure the shaft size is the same so you can re use your existing drive pulley.

Kind of a lot to think about. unless you got a killer deal on another motor, i would just go and replace the connecting rod.

Justin

can whlvr

:woohoo: so as you can see you have lots of options,rebuilding the motor is ab option but dont forget if the rod broke,she more than likely will need piston ,rings,bore,gasket set,valves?,bearings,which is rare but is a possibility,head shaved,this adds up if you cant do it yourself,yes if you are mecanically inclined its a possibility but its also a fair challange,i did a 10 hp earlier this year and it was not as easy as i had expected,with help from the good members here i was able to get her done but i had to open it up more than once,the more rebuilds you do the easier it gets,but i would recommend that you try and put a kohler back in(if thats what was in it,)because the wiring stays the same,the crank location remains the same,and you can run the pto,yes you can put others in its just a little more work and fabbing

Road-Track

:D It seems funny that the connecting rod just broke.... Did it make any strange sounds before you shut it off last? When you turn it over now does it make the normal puff puff sounds, but nor start? If you take your spark plug out and hold your thumb over the hole while trying to start the engine. Do you feel pressure in and out?

Just checking to see if you really have a broken connecting rod. :woohoo:

JUSS10

good point! not that i dont trust your local small engine guy but that does seem rather odd that one day it was just broke, it would have had to be moving to break so you would have heard it go....

chazm

Hello & :ROTF:

Good luck with your tractor :woohoo:

Chaz :D

shorts

:woohoo: If you put your location in your signature the members that are close to you could better point you to parts and quality help.

since it supposedly has a broken connecting rod and doesn't run , you have nothing to lose by taking it apart and seeing for yourself how much damage it has. it may be an easy fix and parts are are easy to come by...you can get Primeline parts at O'Reillys

if it was mine i'd have it apart already , it's not hard to do. i had a K181 apart yesterday and my neighbor mowed with it today

SAM58

:D

Do it youself.... :woohoo:

Daddy Don

boovuc

I tend to agree with the others later in this post. If the connecting rod is broken, your engine wouldn't have much if any compression when you turn it over. When you turn it over, does it "sound" as though it has some exhaust out of the muffler. Pull the plug and feel for any "pressure" out the hole. Use a small flashlight and with the plug out, turn the motor by hand while looking down it and observe the top of the piston. (Is it moving)? While your there, rest the plug threads on the top of the engine on bare metal and see if you see any spark. Do you smell gas when you crank it? Is it flooding?

Try to "see" what the shop saw in determining that the connecting rod went south.

If this is the case.......I personally would have it rebuilt. Then you know what you have for an engine. Buying a used one with the same oil pan and more importantly, the same diameter and length shaft may cost you near as much and you don't know how well taken care of a used motor had.

Let us know what you observed.

Good Luck and :woohoo:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

can whlvr

in my post earlier i hope it wasnt taken the wrong way,i agree with some of the posts to rebuild it but its gonna cost,if you want an engine you can trust if the rod broke(which you really need to pull the head)i would recommend a full rebuild,if the rod broke then its a good chance everything else will have wear,i woulnt crank it too much in case it can contack the cylinder wall or push the wrecked piston into the walls,i would pull the head and see whats in there,then you will see if the shop is ripping you off or not

buckrancher

If you broke a concecting rod you would have known it

aloud nasty metal munching sound

it sounds to me it could be a stuck open exhaust valve you should take the head off

and check it out first before you buy anything

Brian

71 auto

where are you located? maybe some one will offer to take a look at it with you. if your close by one of us. I'm in mid michigan about half way between Battle creek and Lansing. If your close to me I'd be glad to take a look at it, even help you wrench it. :woohoo:

Mykol610

I just put my Area as a signature. I'm brand new with this site so give me a little leeway :woohoo: I am not really familiar with tractors so I don't know the "regular" sound of the motor. The shop I took it too pulled the head off to check it out and the piston moves pretty freely, I was able to push it down with my finger if that accounts for anything. Anyway, I'm browsing on a few different options so I'll let everyone know what ends up happening...

can whlvr

well it sounds like a rod,so now the decision time,new motor,rebuild existing motor,find a used motor,find another tractor and use that one for parts,its all up to you now

tmix

:D Good luck with the motor :woohoo: blo my 12 hp last summer a member here set me up with a new rebuild 500.00 .horses are not cheap but you don't have to feed them hay :ROTF: t mix

mavfreak

Rooster

You could let me fix it ....I bet you'll like the added power you have from it!

My labor is cheap too, lol!