71_Bronco

Throttle & Choke Cable's

71_Bronco

I am redoing my Bronco, and I would like to get a new set of Throttle & Choke cables. They are the round style, not the "T" shaped handles.

I have seen a few on ebay, but am not sure if they are "universal", or if they are tractor specific.

If anybody can either tell me a part number to look for, or if they are indeed universal, that would be great!

Thanks allot!

rmaynard

I can't speak to the specifics of the ones you are looking at, but I purchased a set from eBay and they were too long for my 856. Although they were not marked as such, I think they were Stens. I ended up selling them because I didn't want to have to cut and Z bend the choke cable. I ended up purchasing some good used cables at the Wheel Horse show.

71_Bronco

The ones I found were indeed from a company called "Stens". They give the conduit length as well as the cable length for both the throttle and choke cables.

If I measure mine up, they match, and don't mind bending the "Z" for the choke, I take it these would work well?

Thanks!

rmaynard

They were very nice quality. Mine had the twist lock on the throttle.

As long as the mounting threads are the same as yours, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. I was going to cut mine to size, but after I found what I needed at the show, I decided to just resell them and go with the old stock.

71_Bronco

Thanks!

I will order them tonight. I think they were like 30 bucks for the pair and another like 7 bucks shipping.

My Bronco is going to be a worker, but a pretty worker at that, so I don't mind if it doesn't have all factory N.O.S. parts put on etc etc.

Thanks for the help!

TT

Unless the quality has drastically changed, the throttle knob on the Stens cable will last for about 8 or 10 twist-to-lock cycles and then it will come off in your hand. :woohoo:

The way things are being built these days, I doubt that the new OEM cables are much better.

If you are seriously going to work your tractor, install the '72 to '79 (and a few newer exceptions) dash and "T" handle controls.

Kelly

I agree with TT, I am very disappointed with the last two sets of cables I bought, I cut them to size and had then working good, both the throttle cables the knobs just turn around and around, the one on my daughters tractor lasted about 5 twist, I'm going to try to pin it, and by the way cutting them is no big deal, but I would put the new style on a worker.

71_Bronco

Well, looks like I am S.O.L.

I took some measurements off the ones I have, and are as follows.

Choke Cable: Conduit: 45", Wire: 47"

Throttle Cable: Conduit: 33", Wire: 38 1/2"

Both 9/16" Mounting Holes

Looking at the ebay auctions for the Stens cables, they list the lengths as follows.

Choke Cable: Conduit: 40", Wire: 42 3/4"

Throttle Cable: Conduit: 47 1/4", Wire: 53 1/2"

Both 9/16" Mounting Holes

With this in mind, it looks like in order for them to work, I would have to swap the throttle & choke cables, trim both conduit tubes, and both wires, and then have to live with them being labeled wrong, choke will have a "T" and the throttle will have a "C".

I talked to a co-worker, and he said just spray some WD-40 down the conduit and work the wire in and out to get it cleaned and lubed up. I will try this trick and hopefully they free up nicely. They still function fine as they are, just a little stiff.

rmaynard

Any chance that you could reroute the choke cable to pick up a couple of inches?

TT

I talked to a co-worker, and he said just spray some WD-40 down the conduit and work the wire in and out to get it cleaned and lubed up. I will try this trick and hopefully they free up nicely. They still function fine as they are, just a little stiff.

WD-40 is basically worthless as a penetrant but it might help if they're just "gummed up".

You will have better luck if you soak them in something like a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel & automatic transmission fluid, working them periodically over a period of a few days.

Rinse them out with solvent so the oil residue will not attract dust & dirt.

If all else fails, you can try electrolysis. (search the forum for "e tank")

71_Bronco

WD-40 is basically worthless as a penetrant but it might help if they're just "gummed up".

You will have better luck if you soak them in something like a 50/50 mix of diesel fuel & automatic transmission fluid, working them periodically over a period of a few days.

Rinse them out with solvent so the oil residue will not attract dust & dirt.

If all else fails, you can try electrolysis. (search the forum for "e tank")

I am hoping they are just a little gummed up. I tried working them when they were mounted in the correct spot (before I took them off), but disconnected from the carb. They moved freely, but were a little... stiff. Not un-usable by any means, just a little stiffer then I would like to see. I am hoping just a little lube and it will free up fine.

The outside of the conduit has no rust what-so-ever, and neither does the rest of the Tractor, so I highly doubt it is rust inside causing it, just metal on metal.

1991ysr50

I have used cable lubers for motorcycle cables before and its worked pretty well on gummed up cables. If they are kinked at all the lube will stop at the kink. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Jeremy

Edjfleming

Use Knock er loose by CRC, Best penatrating oil on the market!!!

Aussie

I have had good luck with holding mine knob up in a vise and spraying PB Blaster down the inner wire, then working them up and down. They free up really well, I use some light oil afterwards to lube the wire, they come up as good as new.

zanepetty

My new cables are very stiff. I don't know why. They are run neatly and not kinked. I just took them out of the package. I guess the new ones aren't as good as the old one. I'll just have to live with it I guess

Wishin4a416

I get mine at Auto Zone and cut to fit if you have one nearby.

zanepetty

I ordered mine off the internet. They're just like what came off my tractor and supposed to be for wheel horses

Desko

Not related to the bronco but are the holes where the cables go through the same shape in the work horses, 300, and 400 series as I don't have a cable in my dash for my work horse and don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the cable its off a 308 because the dash on my GT-1142 cracked up the sides. Thanks

Edited by Desko

TT

Search the web (particularly eBay) for "universal choke cable".

If you don't feel like looking long, search specifically for a Dorman 55103.