Sign in to follow this  
02sierra

regulator rectifier

02sierra

can someone tell me a simple way to test the regulator rectifier. and if its screwed where do i get one

rmaynard

Generally, a regulator/rectifier can be tested by using a multi-meter.

The two AC leads coming from the engine supply about 30 volts AC at 3600 RPM. When properly connected to the R/R, and with the R/R properly grounded to the chassis of the tractor, +/- 14.5 volts DC should be present between the third terminal and ground.

The most important things to check are clean connections on the regulator/rectifier, and that the regulator/rectifier is properly grounded. Take it off and clean the surfaces where it mounts.

If after that, you don't have proper voltage, replace it with a known good used one for about $20 from eBay or other source, or you can buy a new aftermarket one for about $38. A new Toro brand is still available, but it is pricey.

02sierra

where can i buy new aftermarket parts for these id there a site just for future reference. and thanks alot for the reply.

rmaynard

I just do a Google search for Kohler regulator/rectifiers. Here is one link that I found.

http://www.milfordpower.com/R10297-Kohler-...or-p/r10297.htm

Also, search the number R10297 and see if you get a better deal somewhere else.

I saw one on eBay for about $38.00 last week.

02sierra

awesome thanks milford power equipment is about an hour from my house

02sierra

i put the new one on and i am getting 14,5 volts ac instead of dc why is that

rmaynard

Are you sure you are on the correct meter setting? Are you sure that the stator leads are connected to the 2 AC or input lugs? Are you checking the output voltage between the (+) lug and ground?

02sierra

im putting my meter between the orange wire that goes to key to ground. on dx i get 8 volts on ac im geting 14,6 volts

rmaynard

Did you check to see what your stator voltage is at 3600 RPM?

02sierra

rite around 30

02sierra

im gonna try doing a real ground with connectors and wire and if that doesnt work i dont know whatll happen if i hotwire the orange coming off the rectifier rite to the positive side of the battery

rmaynard

At what RPM are you reading your output voltages? Because of the way that regulator functions, you will also get a reading on the AC scale. The AC reading will be higher than the DC. At idle, a lower than normal voltage will be present. The readings should be taken at full throttle (34-3600 RPM).

02sierra

yup it was at wot now im thinking its the key switch cause its charging but when i shut it odd it loses charge