Sign in to follow this  
jleemoore17

Turn key but nothing happens

jleemoore17

I've been trying to help get a 1980 300 series working we've had an issue trying to figure out where our problem is. When you turn the key nothings happens we had thought maybe it was the starter solenoid so we replaced it. We've also bypassed the seat switch and clutch switch and still nothing. When we run a wire from the positive on the battery to the starter it rolls over any ideas?

bigd

pto switch or ignition switch.i am assuming that you checked out the fuse first

jleemoore17

We checked the ignition switch,fuse and that seems to be working properly but the PTO switch we were a little unsure of because of so many wires going in and out of there. Is there a redundincy of n.o. and n.c. switches is there an easy way to by pass that to just test it?

rmaynard

:woohoo:

What is the ID number on the tractor? In order to look up the correct wiring diagram, that would be helpful. Some models not only have safety switches, but a relay that is also in the solenoid circuit.

tunahead72

Bob's right, an ID number or some other way to identify your tractor would help a lot. I don't believe the 300 series came out until 1985, the 1980 models were all A/B/C/D/E series. Can you find a VIN plate somewhere, maybe on the rear fender near the seat, or on one of the dash or gearshift lever cover plates? What do the decals on the machine look like? How about the engine itself? A photo or two would probably help.

A couple of basic questions:

• [*:1pr2preu]How's the battery?[*:1pr2preu]Are all the connections clean and tight?

And :D

Keep working with us, you'll get this baby going! :woohoo:

jleemoore17

Ok I will get a couple of pictures, I believe i've bypassed the keyswitch,pto switch,seat switch, and clutch switch. One thing I did find is that if I put 12V + to the solenoid on the small terminal post it will try and fire. Here is a picture of my manual wiring. Thanks

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-96-1313611952.jpg

rmaynard

Does your engine have an oil level switch?

Also, you never stated what the ID number is on your 310. That will help in looking up the correct wiring diagram. A picture taken of the page of a book is a bit hard to see.

jleemoore17

Here is the latest picture, I believe I found the fix there was an alternative switch that someone had added probably because of a bad switch in the first place. They put a relay in to pull in two contacts one for the start and one for the run switch. I got it wired right and rolling over it seems but now it seems i'm not getting a spark off from the spark plug. Do you think my solenoid may be bad.

Attached Image

post-96-1313703533.jpg

rmaynard

The solenoid should have nothing to do with spark.

First you say you have a 300 series, then you show a picture of a wiring diagram from a 310. Now you show a picture of a C-105.

What is it? :thumbs2:

jleemoore17

The solenoid should have nothing to do with spark.

First you say you have a 300 series, then you show a picture of a wiring diagram from a 310. Now you show a picture of a C-105.

What is it? :thumbs2:

Can you tell I'm a newbie here. Well it's the tractor that is shown C-105. This tractor was bought with the house and this guy gave us this manual so I was assuming it was the right one. Do you have access to a C-105 manual?

jleemoore17

Thank you very much!