Sign in to follow this  
145Automatic

Varments Nest

145Automatic

A few weeks ago I went to look at horse parts in my area. In the bundle of goodies I brought home was a Locked up but complete K-161. Earlier this week my main mowing machine, 264H, left me stranded at the far end of yard when It would not start. I had finnished mowing and did some garden chores, when I went to start it to put it up nothing. After some cussing and pushing back to the garage I started trouble shooting. I had about come to the point of new starter after extensive testing and swapping when I pushed her to to a parking spot and started tinkering with the K161. I dismantled it down to the main shroud and low and behold I found the largest nest I've seen in a Kolher. The vermin was obviouly quite comfortable in there. I cleaned out the mess and tinkered with her until she became free spinning. Before I called it a night I desided to try the 264 one more time...varoom, she fired right up. :woohoo: Well I thought, that old K is going to be a keeper even if I don't currently have a rolling chassis for her.

dh6-11002.jpg

TT

Yep - I hate it when that happens........ but I'll take a mouse nest over a bee's nest any day! :woohoo:

145Automatic

Amen to that. No stingers on them mice.

rydogg

WOW that is definitely the larges nest I have seen in a kohler, last week I was looking at an old cushman motor my friend has he was going to load it up for me but when he started moving it about a dozen hornets came out and they weren't happy needless to say I left it for now i'll go back next week with some spray.

chazm

TT Posted on Yesterday at 09:29 pm

Yep - I hate it when that happens........ but I'll take a mouse nest over a bee's nest any day!

I don't know TT , :woohoo:

I found out last week that when I found a mouse in the dog food bin that I make the exact same sound as a 4yr old girl makes screaming for her mommy :D

Talk about a " change yo draws moment" :ROTF:

Chaz :D

rmaynard

Those mice have good taste. They could have move into a Briggs or a Techy, but chose to bring up their children in a better neighborhood. :woohoo:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Be careful cleaning that up. Rodent droppings can have Hantavirus which sometimes isn't compatible with life.

From CDC website:

Spray mouse nests and droppings with a 10% solution of chlorine bleach or similar disinfectant. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Using rubber gloves, place the materials in plastic bags. Seal the bags and throw them in the trash or an incinerator. Dispose of gloves and cleaning materials in the same way.

Wash all potentially contaminated hard surfaces with a bleach or disinfectant solution. Avoid vacuuming until the area has been thoroughly decontaminated. Then, vacuum the first few times with enough ventilation. Surgical masks may provide some protection.

rmaynard

Be careful cleaning that up. Rodent droppings can have Hantavirus which sometimes isn't compatible with life.

From CDC website:

Spray mouse nests and droppings with a 10% solution of chlorine bleach or similar disinfectant. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Using rubber gloves, place the materials in plastic bags. Seal the bags and throw them in the trash or an incinerator. Dispose of gloves and cleaning materials in the same way.

Wash all potentially contaminated hard surfaces with a bleach or disinfectant solution. Avoid vacuuming until the area has been thoroughly decontaminated. Then, vacuum the first few times with enough ventilation. Surgical masks may provide some protection.

Sound like the instructions for cleaning up a broken CFL light bulb. :woohoo:

Retired Wrencher

Those mice have good taste. They could have move into a Briggs or a Techy, but chose to bring up their children in a better neighborhood. :ROTF:

:woohoo::D:D Very well said Bob Nothing like a KOHLER POWER Gary B......

145Automatic

Not sure if the rent was to high in the Kolher appartment, but for some reason the rodents were gone (thankfully) when I removed the shroud. Thay were likely left at the P.O.s barn and are wandering what happened to thier home. I did handle the nest with care and protection.

DavidD

I don't know TT , :woohoo:

I found out last week that when I found a mouse in the dog food bin that I make the exact same sound as a 4yr old girl makes screaming for her mommy :D

Talk about a " change yo draws moment" :D

Chaz :P

:D:D:ROTF::D

Been there!!!

tunahead72

From CDC website:

I'm in trouble. :woohoo:

boovuc

My God! Based on this:

From CDC website:

Before I clean my camp, I'll have to burn it to the ground! :woohoo:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

smoreau

Before I clean my camp, I'll have to burn it to the ground! :woohoo:

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Looks like its time to get some barn cats!

DoctorHfuhruhurr
Be careful cleaning that up.

mr.pipes

My God! Based on this:

Before I clean my camp, I'll have to burn it to the ground! :D

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Hantavirus cases have been reported in 31 states in the south and western parts of the country. Not sure where you camp but would guess you are not in a area where you are likely to find it.

The good news is once the virus is released from the critter it only lasts a few days.

Bad news is there is a 38% mortality rate.

I did a little research because not only have I found nests in engines, but while plumbing and opening ceilings and walls I always find the chocolate jimmies. :woohoo: