Sign in to follow this  
kadetklapp

Adding an ATV electric winch on a WH

kadetklapp

So here is what I'm mowing- :woohoo:

yardissue2.jpg

This is my backyard. As you can see, something is "not right" with it. :D

It's a huge mess. Since that pic was taken, I had several tiles installed to drain my yard. Anyway, it's still a God-awful chore to mow, and it's what caused the demise of my little box-store Troy Bilt.

So, in addition to possibly Ag tires or chains, I'm considering installing an electric ATV winch on my :D in order to facilitate an easier recovery should I get hung up again. It was a weekly occurrence with my last two tractors, and I don't want a repeat of that with the Horse. So I'm wondering if a winch plate can be made to fit on the front of a :ROTF: while the deck is still in-place. Any thoughts?

71_Bronco

I'm sure anything can be done if you really want to.

It might be a little difficult to do it with an attach-a-matic, as the belt and all goes in the front. If you had an older tractor with the drive belt BEHIND the front axle, something would be easily made to bolt to the frame, and then bolt the winch on.

ETA: You will also have to watch out for the draw if you are going to go with an electric winch. I was just looking at them, and looking at the draw. I only have a 15 amp alternator on my Bronco 14, and some draw 25 or 30 amps. I did find a 2000 pound rated one that only draws 10 amps. Either way, you have to be carefull of too much draw.

• Like 1

shorts

anything is possible with enuff time and $, the easy/cheap way out would be to attach a pull point to the left front of the frame, use the front attach matic bolt holes with longer bolts to install a tow hook or an eye to put a shackle in.

if you install a winch on the tractor it will be extra weight to help you get more stuck sooner :woohoo: and you will also need a place to hook it up to pull yourself out :D

if it was my money I'd spend it on a tow strap or good piece of rope long enough to reach hard ground and use the wifes car to pull it out

CRE1992

By looking at that, more or less you need some sort of floatation tire, I have carsile 23x10.5 ags on my 520H with a 60, and It floats over ground that looks like that, meanwhile my 416H with a 42 and 23x9.5 turfs just spins and sinks... Maybe put duals on the rear and it may help.. Just a though, and I second the thought about too much amp draw for a winch.

kadetklapp

Thanks for the input. As far as amp draw, it is a concern, however, I've found that my grampa's ChiCom Linhai ATV w/electric winch can barely manage with a weak factory ATV battery (very small battery). I'm thinking with a good-sized lawn and garden battery, it ought to do alright if I wire it direct.

I'm no metal fabricator, and I don't have the tools anyway, so it looks like mounting to the front is out. Something I'm kicking around is mounting it where the fuel tank is, but that would mean a tank relocation, which I don't really want to mess with until I do the diesel conversion.

chazm

I got a portable winch from Harbor Freight Co for like $40.00 or so.

Comes with a bracket to hook on a hitch ball and then you just hook up to a batt. and pull :D

I use mine to winch dead tractors on to my trailer.

Works great, cheap and portable :D

2nd option would be a dump truck load of top soil and a plow blade :woohoo:

Chaz :ROTF:

can whlvr

man i hope that the weeping tiles help out,thats alot of mud for this time of year,it must be a lake in the spring

Forest Road

I use a 4 pulley block and tackle for a lot of stuff. 100' of rope and it opens up to about 25'. It's light and works anywhere. If you mount a winch just for you're yard you'd better be facing the right direction when you get stuck. Good luck.

catman81056

That is a mess, I think which ever way you go you're going to leave ruts if you mow to close to the mud. I'd creat a buffer zone and use a push mower for the soft sections.

pfrederi

Mounting a winch on the rear might make more sense. After all if you get stuck it is usually safer to go back out the way you came in rather than pulling yourself deeper into the mud.

Winches were mounted on the front of trucks in the old days because it was easier to get the necessary PTO drive shafts there.

Army vehicles (3/4 ton and up had front mounted winches, but they were designed to recover other vehicles... not optimal for self recovery).

kadetklapp

Yep, the yard is a debacle. I've been battling the town board for all the time I've lived here. Basically they allow storm water to runoff into my property unabated and then it pools there, dammed up by the paved driveway in the picture. The driveway is on the town easement and they refuse to do anything about it. The tiles have helped immensely, it's just horribly rough back there. The project is not finished. I have grass and weeds six feet tall-no joke, as of right now. Last night my contractor dumped the first of many tri-axle loads of top soil to backfill and swale the yard with.

Anyway, I'm thinking the winch will be handy for other chores as well. I know on my gramps four-wheeler, in addition to self-recovery (LOL) it's been used to pull stones, logs, stumps, and other things around that are too big to move by hand, and too small to drag out his big tractor for.

HorseFixer

Well one thing about it.. :woohoo: Ya dont need a sprinkler System :ROTF:

Cheers ~Duke

:D

Don1977

As for mounting on the front, you can do it if you add spacers each side of the frame and the mule drive will still work.

2009-06-06003.jpg

2009-06-06004.jpg

I use the holes that were already in the frame.

kadetklapp

As for mounting on the front, you can do it if you add spacers each side of the frame and the mule drive will still work.

2009-06-06003.jpg

2009-06-06004.jpg

I use the holes that were already in the frame.

Just saw your reply, this looks great. Will keep this in mind.

Here's the yard as of yesterday-

IMAG0528.jpg

However the work isn't done, just off camera to the left we've got water leeching from an illegal discharging tile or something. What a pain.