Sign in to follow this  
jbumgarner

702 Lift Hitch

jbumgarner

I purchased a clevis hitch last week and went to install. I had to free up the pin hitch and this wasn't a problem. Got of the retainers and tried to get the pin to slide, and it wouldn't budge. I have soaked it for two day with penetrating oil and still it will not move. I know it has been many years since this pin was removed, but I wanted to A) make sure I wasn't missing anything, ie a retainer and :D see if I can add some heat to the mix. I don't want to add to much heat and destroy anything in the trans. Anyone have any suggestions. I think I will break out the porta-power tonight, but don't really have anything to push against, but it's worth a shot. :woohoo:

Thanks

mr.pipes

I haven't had a stuck one yet myself. There have been a few discussions on this before. Here are the most common methods.

Lots of penetrating oil.

Heat it and put candle wax on it and the heat draws it in.

Drill it out and then cut it lengthwise from the inside.

Sawsall between case and hitch.

A ball joint press.

Indy w h

An air hammer with a blunt bit is my choice of tool

Indy

CasualObserver

Surprisingly I don't think that this has come up for a while. I had to go to the basement steps to retrieve this one. nosearch.gif

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11747

bigd

be careful if you use heat i warped a slot hitch trying to get it off.

jbumgarner

Well started out last night and used the porta-power and more penetrating oil. 4 tons of pressure did not budge the pin. Brought the torch home from work earlier heated to cherry red used wax and beat the heck out of it and only got it to move maybe 1/2 inch. So I guess when I get off this afternoon I will cut the pin and go from there. I hate the idea of drilling it out, but at this point I will have to do what is needed. Thanks for the advise. Wish me luck

SousaKerry

I had one that gave me fits this winter took an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and sliced it off flush with the sides of the tranny and then was able to drive it out with a sledge and punch. it seems it more stuck in the clevis then the tranny

jbumgarner

Well I finally got it out. Kerry you were absolutely correct, it was more stuck in the hitch than in the tranny. Once I had cut the pin and got the hitch out of the way the remaining pin slid out with no problem. I think some of this was my fault, I had mushroomed the end of the pin when I first started. I ground it to what I thought was flush on each side, but must not of gotten the backside as well as everywhere else. I used a porta-band to cut the pin. Took all of 5 minutes to cut both sides. If you all don't have a porta-band you should put it on your shopping list. They are great. Well thanks for the advise and now its time to get started making a new pin.

:woohoo:

shorts

just get a 3/4 inch hitch pin at tractoe supply it will make changing the hitch/implements easier in the long run

jbumgarner

I didn't think about that, but I had a 3/4" piece of bar stock on hand so I drilled two holes in the end to add two clevis pins and away we go. Thanks for all the advise.

:woohoo: