Sign in to follow this  
scv85

GT14 metal on metal noise from pto area

scv85

So I recently adapted a Johnson loader to my 70 GT14. I was using it this weekend when I noticed a bit of metal on metal noise from the pto area. It has not gotten worse, but it almost seems like a bearing. I did notice a while back that it looked like some grease was thrown out of the front of the pto where it bolts on. Am I looking at a pto bearing failure and is it at all common?

smoreau

I think I herd the same noise on my 417A this last weekend :woohoo: I haven't been able to check it out yet as it over to my parents house for the summer and I only get over there on the weekends. But as for your ? yes the bearings do go bad.

can whlvr

the bearings are easy to swap out and when you redo them dont overdo the grease,it will just spill out on the disk,check that your fristion disk is in good shape,if its worn you can hear metal to metal,you can take the pto off and then start up the tractor to see if you still hear it

scv85

For haha's before pulling the entire pto pulley off, I took out the clip and pin, undid the electrical connector and spun the outermost part of the pulley setup. About halfway around I get a little grind/scrap type noise. I'm not sure what kind of clutch this uses but it definitely is rubbing at one point internally. Now my next question is... is this going to cause a problem, self destruct or should it be okay. The clutch engages wonderfully and does not slip or anything.

pfrederi

From your description sounds like you have the electric PTO (previous replies are about manual ones. The electric PTOs are more difficult to work on. There is no way to grease them short of disassembling the unit and packing the bearings which are sealed. If you can get it apart you would be best to replace the bearings as opposed to unsealing repacking and then trying to reseal them.

I tried to take one apart once but never got past the snap ring which was firmly corroded into place :woohoo:

scv85

Correct, it is an electric clutch. So by the sounds of it, if the sealed bearing flung grease everywhere, it's not so sealed anymore and should be replaced. Does anyone know a bearing number, online showed that clutch as an entire unit. Is that bearing even serviceable?