Sign in to follow this  
doomjr

Can you make the UNIDRIVE go faster?

doomjr

:WRS: I wanted to know because i wanted to bring my Raider 12 into a pulling tractor or just make it faster tomow grass with. Overall i want to drive it on the road when i am 16. :whistle: I think its a 6 speed.

WH_Hobie

for one thing yes you can but if i were you i would let the stock gearing and pulleys for pulling grass mowing the gearing in third high is ok i wouldn't even mess with the gearing if i were you

CasualObserver

I agree with Nick... your just as well off with your stock gears to start learning with. and if you break a gear.... there's plenty of spares out there and you get to learn how to rebuild the Uni-Drive!!

You can change the speed by adjusting your pulley size though...., larger engine pulley and/or smaller tranny input pulley. If you change them though, make sure you use quality pieces.... those cheap little electric motor pulleys at the hardware store are usually only pot metal or cast aluminum and won't stand up to the load shock that clutching will put on them and they'll shatter. If you're lucky... you won't get one embedded in your leg when it goes! I can't stress enough.... quality steel or iron pulley!! :whistle: :WRS:

Curmudgeon

According the manual, and my own experience backs this up, the top recommended mowing speed for Wheel Horse mowing decks (the ones I have at least) is 3.5MPH. That's second high. Third high is more of a road gear, and really doesn't do a very good job of mowing. Maybe it would if you were only trimming half an inch off, but who mows that often?

Or maybe I shouldn't ask.............

I think it was the 700 Series that was designed for faster mowing speeds, but then, who has a lawn smooth enough to go that fast?

Or maybe I shouldn't ask..................

Teddy da Bear

I mow that fast!

I normally mow in third gear or at least I did when mowing just with a deck.

I juiced up the mowing deck. I flipped over the double drive pulley on the deck to increase blade speed. That was quite a while ago and I do not remember if I had to modify the bolt or anything.

Now a days I still mow in third gear, but with a 9 1/2 foot reel mower.

Curmudgeon

On many decks, the center pulley is an evenly sized double pulley, top pulley same size as bottom pulley. So there is no "souping" them up unless you change out to a different set of pulleys.

I always run double blades, which increases quality of mow, so in theory, I could go faster too, just lose that increased quality in the process.

Some people like seat time, going slow, getting quality, others like to fast and get it done. Plenty of room for both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rollerman

Dale for what it's worth I'm working on a 42" rear discharge now that has 2 differant sized center pullies?

I supose there are all kinds of configurations?

Oh & I'm all for seat time...I really enjoy takeing a saturday afternoon to mow my 2000 square foot yard. :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

All three of my decks (36" rd) came with the double pulley of

different sizes. I do believe they were original because

they had been mated to the spindle shaft with corresponding

"flats" on each side of the pulley. Most generic pulleys I

have ever seen in the tractor supplies just have a round

hole in the center.

If they are not original....it sure is a big coincidence that

I have had three....not sure about the 42" deck...I will

look at that tomarow.

Curmudgeon

Obviously it's the PUNY decks with offset sized pulleys. Mine are mostly all the same top and bottom. But I'll admit to not spending much time with babies, I prefer my decks grown up. LOL

HorseFixer

Obviously it's the PUNY decks with offset sized pulleys. Mine are mostly all the same top and bottom. But I'll admit to not spending much time with babies, I prefer my decks grown up. LOL

I guess the guy with the biggest stacked deck WINS! :whistle:

Duke

Curmudgeon
70indeck.jpg

Curmudgeon
76indeck.jpg

Curmudgeon

One or the other SHOULD win.

Even though the first one appears larger, the second one is actually bigger with a 76" cut.

Teddy da Bear

Hey....that second one looks kind of Wheel horsish....

But a 76" cut??? I thought the biggest wheel horse made

was 60". What did that come off of??

Curmudgeon

Hey....that second one looks kind of Wheel horsish....

But a 76" cut??? I thought the biggest wheel horse made

was 60". What did that come off of??

Would you believe a 416-8? Well you better, cause one ran it for several years.

And WHO said Wheel Horse made it? :whistle:

Stigian

76indeck.jpg

:D A 76" cut :whistle::WRS: Id be hard pushed to get that through my workshack door :D

HorseFixer

B) A 76" cut :whistle:B) Id be hard pushed to get that through my workshack door B)

Better have a Hydro to lift that baby! WoW Be alot of work just to shapen the bl;ades on that puppy! B)

Duke

Curmudgeon

Nope, manual lift.

That particular deck I ran single blades, but check out the other with the doubled up blades. THOSE took a while to sharpen. Throw in the fact a 48" deck with doubled blades was also used, that meant SIXTEEN blades, THIRTY-TWO ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!