fsmallnp

engine overheating

fsmallnp

hi, new guy here. I've got a wheelhorse 522xi with an air cooled kohler pro motor that's overheating on me. I've checked all fluids and made sure all screens were clear. Just started this a couple of weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated

WH nut

You may have to pull the engine covers to male sure everything is good and clean. How do you know its overheating?

• Like 1

fsmallnp

the temp. guage pegs out in the red. as soon as it does that it scares me and i shut it down. it doesn't smell hot or anything but i don't want to chance it. a new kohler is a lot of money.

boovuc

I don't blame you!

As the Nut said :woohoo: .........pull the covers and shrouds off around that motor. Make sure the fins are not plugged up with clippings, oil or a mouse nest!

Also.........Check your oil and the proper weight of oil for summer operation.

Most Kohlers should run straight 30w in the summer. If your Xi has a gauge for the oil pressure, make sure it is where it should be. If it has an idiot light for oil pressure, make sure it lights on the self test before you start it.

Make sure you have the proper spark plugs in it. Use a high test gas since hi-test "ignites" at a lower temp your engine should run cooler. Check/clean the air filter also.

Next, make sure your drive belt is free and not binding. Make sure your mower deck and mule drive is free and not binding.

If all is OK there, check where that senser is on the engine to make sure it isn't blocked up.

If the gauge still goes into the red, check with the experts in the electrical section on guidance on checking the functionality of that gauge.

Good Luck!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

• Like 2

ARK

check the heat gauge and sender, may be miss-reading

shallowwatersailor

The 520xi that I bought this past summer has a gauge that moves way up (close to the red) compared to my 518xi (mid-point.) The 520xi was wearing quite a bit of grass clippings when I picked it up! The "tins' on the Kohler Command are very difficult to loosen with the engine in the tractor to clean the fins. Kohler in fact sells a kit of access panels for just this reason but require the engine to be pulled to install them. There is just not enough clearance from the firewall. I have removed or moved as much as I can and blown/vacuumed the inside but I was unable to gain much access to the left side. Comparing the airflow across the top with my 518xi, it seems as if there is still some blockage there. I will probably need to pull it to make sure. I also need to check part numbers for the sender and gauge. It may be easier swapping parts between the two tractors just to verify before I get in that far.

The Kohler Command uses 10W-30 by the way, and the sender is checking the oil temperature. I have used synthetic Amsoil Small Engine oil for the past two years for 10W-30 applications on all my equipment.  

Patrick Reese

I had this same issue on a Kohler Command mounted to a Gravely Promaster.. at the beginning of each season I would always blow out the fins and fan area with a compressor and hi pressure nozzle and every few years I would take it apart to make sure all was well since we live in front a dairy farm and are loaded with mice.. Well the one year I didn't take the covers off and visually inspect I blew a head gasket! Upon disassembly I found that the little rats (mice) had packed the inside of the blower shroud with nut shells and nesting that the compressor couldn't move out.. this blocked everything up and caused the overheating resulting in the blown head gasket..

Old CC

Have the same problem with my 27y/o toro 522xi..have done a good cleaning, changed oil and filter. Still overheats, (happened suddenly) with new gas from different station. Have been using low grade....will move to hi grade. New fuel filter and will look at carb cleaning before running again.  If still overheats will pull engine and check.  Does anybody know where I can get info on Kohler kit to give access to the shrouded fan area?

richmondred01

Not sure of your question old cc.

“Does anybody know where I can get info Kohler kit to give access to the shrouded fan area?”

953 nut
On 7/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, Old CC said:

overheats

With any air cooled engine it is good to remove the engine tins and use a small bottle brush to thoroughly clean the area between the cooling fins. They cost about $ 5.00 and will save you hundreds.

Forney 15-1/2 in. x 1-1/4 in. Nylon with Wire Loop Handled Tube Brush