Sign in to follow this  
71 auto

hydro trans slow.

71 auto

I have a 1971 Auto 800. Model # 1-0450 6 Serial# 779595 The tractor is very slow has problem climbing a slight grade. (Goes better when first started,not great but gets worse as it warms up) Was reading other posts about this problem and seen talk about changing the filter. Does any one know if this eaton hydro has a filter? I didn't see a filter on it any where. (internal maybe?) I know, It most likely needs a rebuild. Just thought I would try changing the fluid first. and filter if it has one.

Any help would be great. Thanks

can whlvr

i looked on parts tree and it doesnt appear to be one,is it a lawn tractor,they often dont have filters

kadetklapp

Is the fluid low? Is the fluid in poor condition? I see a filter on the Workhorse 800 but not on the 800 Automatic.

71 auto

can whlvr..... Thanks for looking, I didn't think there was one.

Kadetklapp..... The fluid is not low, but it resembles something close to muck. very dark, thick almost jelly substance. That's why I was going to change it. but when I was reading other post that were talking about filters. It got me wondering if the eaton #6 had a filter hiding some where on it. or in it.

71 auto

OK, One more question. I went to drain the hydro and successfully drained the rear end. "woops" oh well.... it needed it too. So my question is how do I drain the hydro. I do not see a plug. Do I half to crack the hydro unit from the rear end or ???

woodchuckfarmer

I got a 518 the same way had to pull the hydro unit from the transaxel , then drain the oil. it takes about 3/4 of a qt.

71 auto

Thanks woodchuckfarmer. That's what it was looking like. I did bleed it and it seemed a little better. maybe there's hope yet. And thanks for the 3/4 qt. Info.