Sign in to follow this  
Old Ways

The Commando

Old Ways

I have decided to use my Commando 8 as a puller, and was wondering if anyone had any tips for a new puller, pulling stock. I am 14, and am just shy of 100 lbs, and I have the ability to get custom lead weights poured. Thanks.

TT

The first thing you should do is contact your local "host" association/club and get a copy of their rules.

Once you know what they allow/don't allow, then you can begin to set your tractor up for pulling.

Edjfleming

I went last week to the pulls in Terryville, Ct and a commando 8 won the stock class.

Wheel Horse Kid

I second what TT said! You really need to have a rule manual from your local pulling club before you start getting your tractor ready for pulling. Also, take your time and don't get discouraged if things do not go right the first time, pulling tractors can be tricky with weight distribution and other things like that. My dad, grandpa, and I started restoring a Wheel Horse tractor about 4 years when I was 11 for pulling. It took A LOT of figuring and testing, but it was a really fun project. After about a year we had to stop pulling, due to my dad's work change. I still have the pulling tractor in our garage and get it out from time to time to drive around.:woohoo:

Good luck with your project!

Old Ways

This is their site: AMTP

I am stuck though... You guys know the rod on the back of the trans that holds the hitch on? Well, I can't get it off, so any tips? I tried tons of Kroil and hit it with a hammer, but just succeeded in flattening one side. Also my brake band fell off, so can I Epoxy it back on? So far I have tuned it up, converted it to hand clutch, and have designed my undercarriage, that my weights, wheelie bar, etc... will all be held onto. And more input would be great. Thanks!

tunahead72

Patience my son, you're going WAY too fast here. :banghead:

If you flattened the end of your hitch shaft, you were hitting it too hard, and if you keep it up you'll damage your transmission as well. Take your time, try something else, maybe a little heat, maybe grab the end with a pair of vise grips and try to rotate it, or try GENTLY tapping it first at one end then the other. Keep up the Kroil treatment, it will help immensely, but give it time to work.

These are just a few things I came up with off the top of my head just now, I'm no expert on these machines and I know next to nothing about pullers. The important thing is to slow down and let the answers come to you. Other guys here have run across this same problem, it's been addressed in other threads. Here's a few I've run across recently, maybe they'll help you:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30511

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27297

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11747

Likewise with the brake band, that's been discussed here also, try a search to see what's possible.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, but you don't have to rush on my account! :thumbs2:

Old Ways

Have it torn down, Still don't have the pin out of the back of the trans, I am building a new, longer frame for it.

tunahead72

Good to hear you're still working on this project. Did you get the brake band fixed? Got any photos?

I noticed that the three links I gave you back in October are pointing to the wrong threads, probably got new numbers during the conversion to this latest edition of RedSquare. I found a couple of them here, these are the correct links:

• Old topic 30511:
  • Old topic 11747:

I couldn't find old topic 27297, it was called "Looking for a rear pin for the lift", maybe somebody else knows what happened to it? :dunno:

Old Ways

I'm probably going to have a friend of mine press it out.