rustbucket

aluma weld

rustbucket

I,m not sure how many here are good welders or what not but i found a product for us not so great welders called aluma weld. it is a welding rod that you need no flux for and can be used with just simple propaine torch and they show them abuseing the remade and welded areas and the weld not breaking but everything else is.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/?src=google

take a look and tell me what you all think.

• Like 2

illinilefttackle

Rustbucket- I still have rods of that in my toolbox somewhere- I bought it a few years back to fix a pontoon on my boat. The complaint I had was it seems to melt quickly all at once, hard to control, hard to flow it into anywhere-probably would work with a lot of practice- I ended up using an aliminum flake mixture of epoxy to fix the boat-I even used the same thing to repair an alumimun transmission case.-Good Luck_AL :whistle:

Firpo701

Saw an infomercial on tv a couple of years back. Was not too impressed. In my opinion, you can't beat a good TIG set up for aluminum. Welded aluminum for 15 years that way, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I couldn't see myself investing in them.

Digger 66

Saw an infomercial on tv a couple of years back. Was not too impressed. In my opinion, you can't beat a good TIG set up for aluminum. Welded aluminum for 15 years that way, so maybe I'm a little biased, but I couldn't see myself investing in them.

Me too . Alumaloy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ5sD9hQTyw

• Like 1

doc724

Sounds to me like a brazing alloy or silver solder.  Because aluminum has a real tough oxide, it is difficult to get anything to stick to it.  The aluma weld must have some real active flux in it to break thru the oxide.  Of course, the problem with active flux is that it is corrosive so it needs to be cleaned off or else the flux will corrode the parent metal.

Tankman

Got to love TIG or MIG welding.

Never much faith in those infomercial products.

Can't find aluminum on any of my Horses. Am I missin' something?

Use a soldering iron to repair the PE tanks. Did use a pop rivet in a steel tank, then JB Weld over the rivet. Worked great.

Edited by Tankman

rickinmemphis

The console on my 75 C-120 appears to be made of Aluminum. It could be a Pot metal of some sorts. I have used this product in the past and it is great for filling small holes, scratches and gashes. Bondo works to.

DennisThornton

The console on my 75 C-120 appears to be made of Aluminum. It could be a Pot metal of some sorts. I have used this product in the past and it is great for filling small holes, scratches and gashes. Bondo works to.

Tricky to use but it does work.  Knowing how to solder and weld isn't helpful since it is very different and will fool those experienced.  I've seen a similar product used by a pro and I've have used that product, though the pro was better than I am now!  Stuff works!