Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Weekend work

Mith

I'm having a day off today, and its sunny (and hot, whew!), so out come the tractors. Started off the day with a bit of mowing that I didnt finish last night.

It wasa small orchard with grass about hood height, while I was at it I thought I would do the road verges, and before I knew it I had mowed the long grass up the tracks.

40 years old and it still works just as hard. The orchard was real hard on it in particular.

C8longgrass.jpg

Next up was a bit of logging. Had to get a couple tons of wood out from the far side of a neigbouring property. Its pretty overgrown, and on the side of a hill.

I just drove in, had to reverse out a few times when I was blocked by a stump or so, but got to the wood in the end. By the 3rd time in, a path was emerging (just as well, I got lost a couple times)

Image007.jpg

Not too bad on the slope, I was piling the trailer up pretty tall so rolling over was still a worry.

Image008.jpg

Oh, and some mud, naturally....

Image011.jpg

Nearly out

Image012.jpg

Quite a pile coming on

Image013.jpg

Got a new bucket for the backhoe too. My 9" digging bucket is to the side. I'll probably take the teeth off the new bucket and use it for loading.

Image005.jpg

Image006.jpg

rustbucket

SWEEEET!!!

Sparky

I love those pics lookin over the front of your Black-Hood tractor. Those are my favorite tractors.

Mike...........

TT

Excellent pics, Mith! :WRS: Looks like the Horses are getting a good workout!

And since you're on here looking around......

Have any of you guys "over there" heard from Wes lately? :whistle:

mailman

Thanks for sharing!

I love seeing our 'horses working!

HorseFixer

Mith looks like you have been a busy hombre' :D Nice seat on that tractor looks comfy :WRS: You defiantly have putting that horse to work! :whistle:

Cheers Duke

MaineDad

Nice pics Mith. You love the mud :whistle:

Mith

Cheers guys

Mike, its a view that I wasnt getting tired of, I really enjoy it when its working hard and going well. Each trailer load probably weighed over what the tractor does. I had a few issues keeping it straight on the side hills, but kicking the throttle soon got it all in line again.

TT, not heard from Wes, Ian said something about him but I've forgotten what. Maybe its time to send out the search party?

Duke, life is too short to not be comfortable. I cant sit in a seat with no back for long so I generally upgrade all the tractors seats.

T-Mo

Jim,

I agree with Mike, the view over a black hood is cool. Looks like you put those horses to work some. :whistle:

dgjks6

Hey Mith, what kind of tractor is that in the first picture? It looks like the one I hrew up using before we got the 312-8 in the 80's. Is that a headlight? I think the old tractor had one, but it was just a piece of plastic with a bulb behind it.

Greg

Mith

Greg, the first tractor is a '68 commando 8. No headlights, its just a blank bit of plastic.

dgjks6

Does it have a cigarette lighter? That would be about the same yearas our old one. The first wheel horse lasted 20 years (with no maintainence - my father and brother never believed in it). The decals on the side look the same, but I swaer it had a headlight.

Mith

I think it used to have a lighter, the hole for it (although blanked off) is there, and the wiring is there for it.

I put rings in mine last winter, its been mowing my lawn all summer so far, and various other bits of long grass, so far so good.

KyBlue

Thats Awesome!! Lots of work got done looks like.. makes me feel bad I didnt even get to use mine this weekend :whistle:

Stigian

Nice pics Jim :whistle:

Its always good to see WH's in their natural working enviroment :WRS:

Do you find the weights on the front help with mowing?

Were you digging your workshop floor up in the photo's?

Makes a change from the lawn :D

Its been a while since ive heard from Wes, i might give him a ring this evening.

I think he may well be having a very busy few months.

perry

luv seeing these old horse's getting worked hard. thats what they where built for :whistle:

good pics mith

bo dawg

Now thats the kind of work I enjoy :whistle: I wish I still had a wooded lot to go in and work with the horse's. Nice pic's :WRS:

Bo

T-Mo

Hmm, wooded lot? I have about 2-3 acres wooded, I wonder if I should take one of my horses in there? :whistle:

Mith

Ian, the weights help with steering when mowing up the hill. They save the grill on the front too. I took them off to do a bit of mowing on the flat and I've gone and forgotten where I put them, if you see 'em let me know where...

And yup, thats the workshop floor you see in the bucket. :whistle:

Working in the woods is my favourite too, much more interesting than out in the open. I like moving wood about too, something satisfying about it.

The last lot I moved out wasnt cut, just in trunks. Skidded them out and cut them here.

09-08-07_0937.jpg

Cheers guys

Nick

Mith, Now thats a backhoe bucket! :whistle: Around 24" to 30" I would guess? :WRS:

Mith

Nick, think its a 24". I really must measure it some time. Its made from 1/4 and 1/2" plate so its very heavy.