rmaynard

Starter/Generator Rebuild

shorts

ok then, it's back to old school soap and water, lo temp oven and the class f red insulating paint

I can see where a laquer thinner based cleaner like carb cleaner would attack the varnish, but I would think that the electric cleaner would be formulated to not attack the varnish and other protective coatings used in the electronic industry

rmaynard

UPDATE:

I installed the regulator, cleaned the contacts and ground points.

First thing I tested was the starter motor action. The starter runs probably twice as fast as it did before the rebuild.

Generator is now putting out between 5 and 15 volts, depending on engine speed and of course whether or not the battery needs a charge.

The test will be to see if the battery now maintains a full charge.

MikesRJ

Love it when a plan comes together :woohoo:

Electro12WH

nice repair especially the wiring, the factory solders those wires with a transformer set up that is more of a spot welder than solder iron. an old time rebuilder should have the tools but your fix looks good, and if you have trouble with it you can always use silver solder :thumbs2:

edit you might want to use either brakekleen or electric kleener instead of kerosene

Warning! It has been found that cleaning a part with Brake Cleaner before welding creates a deadly toxic gas! I don't know what will happen when it is heated.

ce318

Great Job, I really enjoyed your process. thank God for people who will try things on there own and others who support them, I just love RS for this very reason. I never give money away but have made the decicion I am contributing to this site with my tax return.

AMC RULES

Please update Bob, did the battery hold the charge? :scratchead:

rmaynard

Please update Bob, did the battery hold the charge? :scratchead:

I hate it when someone starts and thread and never finishes it. :hide:

To answer your question, and to put this thread to bed, yes, the generator did charge the battery. So the rebuild was a success. :thumbs2: I have subsequently sold the 856.

stevasaurus

Great thread Bob..Amazing. can't use "amazing" after New Year's Eve...they took that word out of the dictionary for over-use this year. :) I will be doing the one on my 702 after this. Turns twice as fast is "amazing". Thanks

GeoThom

I am replying to a very old post, but I am wondering, what the values of resistence should be for the field coils?

Like you, I have a new stud kit, along with new brushes.

However, I only have 2 starter generators, one is for Wheel Horse Commando 8, and the other came off a Bolens 16hp Briggs.

The Bolens being noticably cheaper made, as it utilizes bushings on both ends, instead of a ball bearing on one end.

Field coils seem to be exact, at least by eyeballing them.

Both are Delco-Remy 12 volt series, and both seemingly use the same regulator. number tags are unreadable.

***Also, Great Thanks to the OP and all Commentors, for some really great information and diagrams.

Oh I Love This Channel...!***

neil

I am curious to see if this thread would sole the problem that I have with my starter gen .

When I press the starter button on my 701 the starter gen turns but is very laboured and does not have enough power to start the engine but does turn it over very slowly .

Does anyone have this same problem or does anyone know what this problem may be ?

specialwheelhorse

I've got everything packed up for moving but if I remember right

There is a long and short frame SG and can't remember what my

701s have . Long frame having more oomph I guess.

But never the less our 701s will not turn over nearly as well as other

SGs even under the best of conditions because the proper

Engine for a 701 does not have the compression release,

Double pulley does not make the engine turn any better, just keeps

A single belt from slipping. Mine both turn hard but well enough

To start.

• Like 1