Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

This heat wave...

CRE1992

Im just curious as to whether other members besides me are begging for snow :ROTF: at this point? I can't take the heat anymore lol. Working on a roof installing solar panels in this heat is ridiculous :D , the roof temp was 144 degrees :P:D and in the shade it was 111. I need some :woohoo:! Any one with me :D ?

Jim_M

I'm not thrilled with the heat but I'll take it over snow any time.

porkchop

:woohoo: No rain here in the southern part of my county since I don't know when. Had to water garden several times. My sweet corn will be ready by the end of this week and thats weird and way early.Give me rain. :D :ROTF:

Kelly

Inside the shop today was about 100 the rest of the week is going to be hotter, my son works in a heat treat factory, and is 150+ inside, they can only work 15 min. then take a break, good thing he's young it would kill me, but no I don't want snow yet.

puddlejumper

As bad as I hate to admit it, This fat boy is not handling it very well at all. Been working on the ground instead of sitting in a excavator for the last 2 weeks. Be glad when this project is done. Maybe I will get my machine back.

rmaynard

And when the snow is on the ground and piled 4 feet deep, we will all be saying, where's the heat? You can't win.

CRE1992

Im only 19 but I get one break and a lunch =[, I wish I could get a break every 15 minutes :D I have to move cement blocks on the roof with some cart that weighs a little over 850 pounds a crossed a roof the size of 4 football fields with one unload station which is all of the way across the roof! :ROTF::D. The foreman in charge is like a slave driver! Hes not very nice :P. Oh well have to pay some bills some how :woohoo: And no I love snow it is a treat to me, plus I make some serious cash plowing driveways on a JD790, which will change very shortly as I might get a 2 stage blower for my 416H and a dozer blade for my 520H. Though I am quite unsure what I am going to do with the 414-8 that I just picked up...

Martin

Inside the shop today was about 100 the rest of the week is going to be hotter, my son works in a heat treat factory, and is 150+ inside, they can only work 15 min. then take a break, good thing he's young it would kill me, but no I don't want snow yet.

yep, summer in the midwest. working in high heat factories suck. i know how your son feels kelly....... theres some areas of our shop that you just cant work in. some airflow helps to cool you abit, but its hot air moving and it just sucks the life out of you. i come home and when my clothes dry out there just covered in salt from the continual sweating all day. and that heat takes awhile to dissipate from your body overnight, which means even after cooling down at home you can still feel that heat coming out of you. i quite often loose 5 to 8 lbs of body weight a day and by the time youre back the next day its back on again.

but still, even though its almost unbearable, i enjoy my job, youve just got to keep at it and go in there mentally prepared to handle it. as the week goes on it gets worse, we run 24 hours a day through the week, so the temps inside just creep up slowly all week long.

i hear guys around me complain, especially newer employees, i just tell them to get away from me and get on with it. its amazing what the body can handle if you are sensible with the electrolyte replenishment and are mentally prepared to do your job, whatever it is.

i constantly see temps in our shop at 120 and up to 130 degrees. the lines you really dont want to be on are the batch oven ones where you are pulling parts from 400 degree ovens. you have to walk in up to 10-20 feet inside and drag parts out on a manual conveyor line when cured. this usually takes about 5 minutes or so of walking in and out and this is normally on a half hour cycle. the poor painter is on the other end of the oven and depending on the part is placing them one or more at a time, but he places them in the oven as fast as he paints. so if you have a good painter in the booth, hes usually on a 5-10 min cycle in and out of that heat box.

fun times :woohoo:

rydogg

I thought going to Vegas in July was going to be a bad idea with the temps but compared to Minnesota it's going to be nice to not have the humidity to deal with along with the 90-100 days we are having now, together they make the heat index around 120-130 degrees. Thank god I no longer work in the glass tempering/heat treating factory....I bet the temps are 140 or more.

rexman72

just hit 92 yesterday in maine.the first day it was over 90 and probably the last.

Daddy Don

Sure glad I am retired get to stay in when it is this hot. We have had 28 days of over 100deg. Everyone just be careful in this heat. Good luck stay cool.

Eriks Red horse herd

Try working in attics in this kind of heat! have to start real early in the morning and quit by 10a.m and blowing insulation on top of that after an 1/2 hour your soaked like you jumped into some ones pool and then you put insulation on top and you look like the missing link!! and at 45years old crawlin in tite attic i don't know how much more i can handle! Come home and it feels like a freight trains ran over you. hope this heat leaves soon can't get much work done! Its killin the pocket book. :woohoo:

HorseFixer

Being an HVAC Contractor for many years I battled the elements everyday. :D Like Erick, I ran Ductwork and found myself in plenty of Attics, and that was no fun. <_< Now day's I get out in this Crap Occasionally, but spend most of my days in the A/C, as the JAIL is Air Conditioned with a 350 Ton Train Chiller that keeps our 450 clients on ICE :D . I feel for you guys, cause I been there done that for many years, and I dont miss it one bit. :ROTF: You guys take it easy, and dont over do it, drink pleanty of fluids. On a side note my Sprinkler System is working as planned... :woohoo: My Grass is healthy and Green as Green can be, and my neighbors Grass is CRUNCHY Linen Beige :P

Cheers ~Duke

:D

shorts

it's amazing what your body can adapt to when it has to, in feburary 1984 I muved to Tampa Bay, Fl. it was shorts and t shirts right up untill Thanksgiving, then it got cold and I went to long pants and sweats, then like a fool I came home to Mi for christmas to below 0 temps and swore that that would never happen again, working outside in Fl was all about start @ 7 wring your shirt out @ 7:30 and go back to work, drink a gallon of Gatorade a day, run the air conditioner all day while you're at work to dry everything out and turn it off and open the house up after dinner so you could acclimate to outside for the next day.

I'm back in Mi and the heat/humidity kicks my butt, but I still like it better than being out all day in the cold, now I just work at my own pace and go where it's comfortable when conditions get extreme, the yardwork will still be there when it gets tolerable next week or whenever.

stevasaurus

Here is the ticket guys to beat the heat...I put this as my wallpaper...immediate relief. :woohoo:

2010_0205temp0006.jpg

Eriks Red horse herd

Steve thats not HELPING!!!!! Because usually when it looks like that out I'm looking out the window of my house and its 85 degress inside and the old wood stove is a roasting us out of the house. :ROTF: I'm getting hot just thing about it. Got to go get me an ICE COLD BEER :D and go stand in front of the open frezzer again just to cool off. :woohoo:

JimD

It hasn't been as beastly hot here as it has in some areas, but several days in the high 80's is enough for me. It'll be in the 90's this week here.

porkchop

:woohoo: I guess I'm lucky to work in a plant that's over 1 million square feet that is air conditioned. It cost over $800 million to build so I guess the air was figured in.

C-Series14

I work on the flightline and in the aircraft hangers at Wright Patt. Inside a metal airplane sitting on the white concrete ramp in 95 degree heat is not a fun time...Today, we were in the hanger working inside the airplane running the gear up and down trying to find a problem. I found the problem...it's hot! We run A/C through the aircraft's avionics bays to keep them cool but none of the A/C seems to reach where I am working! :woohoo:

can whlvr

its been really hot and dry up here in ontario,tomorow is going to break the all time temp,and we havnt had rain for 35 days and not much before that except for spring which was a washout,go figure too much in spring and none in summer

Brrly1

Well, I guess you could almost say that.When it gets warm or in this case just downright HOT it can become unbearable especially if your a concrete cutter-sawman. Concrete or even brick expand when it starts to warm up, the same as when it gets hot and 99.9% of the time when making a lateral cut you can expect slam city.This is why I love making the longitudanal cuts. Also when there is an asphalt topping all it does is act like an insulator so if it does cool down at night or what we think is cooler it doesn't help a whole lot. It hasn't been any fun the last week or two because thats all that happens. Sweat your butt off to get no where fast. I have in the past slammed as many as twelve blades trying to cut one out. When you finally make it thru without slamming another blade they all fall like dominoes. But until then a guy can totally reinvent the english language. Just no Fun at all. :D

:woohoo:

Rollerman

My two bigest gripes this year....

(1) The AC broke in my company truck last fall & won't be fixed.

(2) They "upper management?" removed the canopy from my roller....figured it was creating a clearance problem?

Other than that I'd still take a hot day working in the asphalt over a snowy, cold one.

Looks like it will be back down in the normal 80ies here in Northern IN next week.

I might have to wear a sweat shirt after this week to adjust for the cooler weather.