Sign in to follow this  
james

look what I scored for 40 bucks!

james

so, I happened to check out kijiji local to me and 15-20 minute drive down the road, a guy was selling a very good condition brinly 10" plow for 40 bucks! he had it listed as a ford hoe. I called and told them i was coming to get it as soon as my wife got back (a few hours later) and prayed they didn't sell it to someone else before i got there. it came with the sleeve to clevis hitch also. the main frame is blue (it came off a ford tractor apparently)

I've been looking for one cheap for a few years off and on. I have a few questions though

My 1961 402 with a 6.5 hp stuffed into it will pull it i heard (i heard someone had a dad who used a 3.5 or 4hp back in the day)

doyou guys think that's enough power (i have ag tires on it) and will i need wheel weights? also, it's quite heavy, i'm guessing my non existant steel cable won't lift it will it? and how do i mount a new cable i'm going to make for it? what is the path of the rear lift cable?

thanks so much guys! I don't know how to post pics!

CasualObserver

Pictures would help a lot. I'll give a go with what you said though.

First, there is no 402. You said 1961, so perhaps you meant 401? If so, I wouldn't try using a 10" plow on it. Maybe an 8", but not a 10". If it's a 401, you'll probably have another problem. A Sleeve hitch and a Clevis hitch are the same thing. Those are the two common names for the the popular Brinly style hitch. I'm going to assume you meant slot to sleeve hitch adapter. Those were not made to fit in the welded steel slot hitch of the 401. They were made to fit in the later cast iron slot hitch. (the slots in the hitches are different sizes.)

Posting pictures is easy once you get the hang of it. you just need to join an internet picture hosting site like photobucket. upload your pictures and copy and paste the "IMG" code into your post. It will look like this...

[img=http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family1/redsquare/newlogo.jpg]

which in this case gives you this picture...

newlogo.jpg

Follow along instructions are in this post... how to post pictures

Jake Kuhn

I plow with my 401 duallie without weights,that has a 5hp in it.

SNYFIX

Does it have the coulter wheel ??

W9JAB

:woohoo:

james

i imagine some people (collectors or picky folk) might not like what I did to it today.

I repainted it black and red lol

it looks not bad, better than ford blue. I'm going to try to use it and it only cost me 40 bucks with the hitch so i'm doing good i think, i'm sure i could resell it for more anyway. I was told my tractor was a 401. did i put 402? i dunno anymore lol, too many numbers, i can't remember anything anymore! this us just what someone from the site told me a long time ago but i haven't been on here in forever. i'll try to do the photobucket deal and see if i can figure it out. it does have the coulter wheel and all parts, all original including the brinly 10" plow sticker with lousville, kentucky on it. i don't care that it no longer is blue or has original paint, i'm going to use it on this tractor or another lol.

james

it also came with a cast slot hitch. maybe its not a 401, i dunno. i havent seen a hood like it to be honest. the cast slot hitch attaches to the back of the gearbox and then you slide the other hitch into it. from there, the brinly plow mounts onto it.

james

i don't know how to post pics, the only thing i could figure out was adding pics to photobucket then clicking on direct link then putting them on here. is that what i do? can someone explain, i searched for how to post pics and nothing showed up?

HorseFixer

Well James at least its now Red! :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke

:D