mhirst121

1979 C-81 Restoration

mhirst121

Well I have finally got it to pieces. All looked ok and straightforward till I got the hood stand off. As you can see from the following pics it is a bit of a mess, I dont think it will be salvageable so it is a case of either find another in better condition or fabricate a new one from scratch. I do not think I will find another in good condition so it looks like I will be doing a bit of fabrication work in the very near future.

Heres a few pics of what I have

SAM_0220-1.jpg

SAM_0307.jpg

SAM_0309.jpg

SAM_0327.jpg

SAM_0328.jpg

SAM_0329.jpg

SAM_0326.jpg

Well I will try and keep you updated as and when anything happens.

Cheers,

MartinH

mhirst121

Finally managed to get a bit more done on the Horse. I have manufactured a new deck stand centre section to replace the badly corroded one. New seals were fit in the transmition and everything bottomed, primed and given a nice coat of shiny red paint.

A few items have been replaced on the chassis ready for the deck stand to be painted and mounted. So a little progress has been made.

On another note I went with my friend yesterday to pick up another WH for him, it has a number of attachments to go with it, these being a rototiller, two cutting decks, a snow plough and a single furrow plough, all WH items. Some of them may be for sale if they are of interest.

Cheers for now,

MartinH

SAM_0357.jpg

SAM_0356.jpg

SAM_0355.jpg

SAM_0359.jpg

SAM_0358.jpg

• Like 2

neil

looking good so far Martin, & the fabrication work look top notch.

It amazes me the talent that people have on this site

I would be interested in the snow plough for sale that you mension

where about do you live?

meadowfield

looking good!

I managed to patch both mine up !

c101rust3.jpg

thats a neat job for a fabrication.

I'm also interested in ploughs...

the single furrow, and snow - if it is for sale and Neil doesn't take it :woohoo:

mark

meadowfield

Neil....

I was a bit slow, we've had the intro and conversations before! :woohoo:

Martin is in Carlisle - 100miles north of me.

darren

Hi Martin,

I've only just found this thread but I'll be watching it with interest now; that's some project! The fabrication looks to be the way to go, you've made a fantastic job of the fab'd parts...Keep the pics coming!

I appreciate I may have missed the boat slightly, but if either of the ploughs or the rototiller are still unclaimed, I'd be extremely interested. :woohoo:

mhirst121

Thanks all. I will get some pics of the attachments tomorrow, the ones that he wants to part with that is. Do you want me just to put them in this post and deal with it from there. He, and for that matter I, do not have any idea of prices for these attachments, could anyone please pm me with some ball park figures for them, don`t worry he will not hold you to them, he said it would help in deciding what to part with.

Cheers,

MartinH

meadowfield

hehe, now thats open to some abuse!!!

I hear attachments have hit an all time low......... :woohoo:

I guess to stop half the UK horse club spamming this thread, maybe a PM first??

mark

darren

:woohoo:

Hey Mark, just bought some deck decals from you on 'that auction site' if you have any 312-8 decals, please let me know as I'll be after some.

Martin: PM sent

fordsonmajortom

Excellent fabrication on the hoodstand Martin. I have got a very rusty c121 which if i took off the covers it would be as rusty as yours was. As it's running so well mowing it's going to stay as it is.

Michael.

meadowfield

dropped by to see Martin today and look at the restoration...

the work so far looks fantastic, if I hadn't seen the pictures I wouldn't even have known the hoodstand was bespoke!!!!

Also picked up a few items from his neighbour and came home with a full load...

:woohoo:

mhirst121

Thanks Mark, glad you got home ok and thanks for the tips for my restoration.

cheers.

martinh

Anglo Traction

Excellent work Martin :woohoo: !. You must have a very well equipped Workshop!.

Interesting Steering Wheel you have on that (in 1st Pic), plenty of Knee Room.

Regards.

wheeledhorseman

That is indeed excellent work Martin :woohoo: . Out of interest what are you using to bend the steel sheet? I need to get something that will do this for my workshop but nothing too industrial.

Mark - I'm a little envious and living in hope that some attachments will come up at a reasonable price down here in my neck of the woods.

mhirst121

The bends were done at a friends workshop, there is only one bend on each side and the rest were welded joints.

Well I have been busy with painting a few more parts to fit back on the Horse. The brake band has been relined so thats another job out the way, still have a couple of bars to make for the front bracket. Engine block is painted and I am currently on with the covers then this can be refit. I have just recieved the new set of tyres, I tried various local depots and online sites. It surprises me that in these lean times just how many of the online retailers of tyres cannot even be bothered to answer an email to get a sale, won`t mention any names but they are supposed to be big retailers of our type of tyres.

I eventually bought the tyres from a company called Bigtyres.co.uk, they were excellent to deal with and by far the best prices I could find with next day delivery. Usual diclaimer, have no interest in this company just pleased with the service offered, if you need tyres give them a ring.

Anyway heres a few pictures of the work so far, a few bits to touch up but looks ok.

Cheers,

MartinH

SAM_0393.jpg

SAM_0394.jpg

SAM_0395.jpg

SAM_0396.jpg

SAM_0398.jpg

SAM_0399.jpg

SAM_0397.jpg

meadowfield

looking good - not long before it's on all fours now....

darren

How's the progress going Martin? I'd imagine it's close to finished now.. I sent you a Pm and an email but not sure if you got them (does anyone have any contact with Martin)

calibear2003

Wow, this C-81 is looking amazing. Do you have any updated information on your progress along with recent photo's??

I wish that mine looked like yours lol....Great Job!!!

meadowfield

Martin has rejoined the forum !

hopefully he will share an update with us all.

mhirst121

Well sorry it`s been so long, but I have finally got back to the tractor. Over the winter I sent all the tinwork away to be shotblasted and it has come up very good, quite a bit of work to do to the parts but nothing time will not sort out. The tractor is now up on it`s wheels, so this gives me more impetus to get going with it. The brake band and the PTO clutch have been re-lined. The trouble is I have several projects on the go at any one time including model stationary engines, motorbikes, full size stationary engines etc.

Anyway heres a few pictures of where I am at, hope you enjoy and shout at me if there are too many pictures in the posts, I tend to get carried away !!!

Cheers for now,

MartinH

SAM_0440.jpg

SAM_0441.jpg

SAM_0442.jpg

SAM_0443.jpg

SAM_0444.jpg

meadowfield

Looking great Martin,

good to see you back !

Lars

looks good keep up whit the work and pict.

bowtiebutler956

Looks great! There is no such thing as "to many pictures". Keep them coming. Matt

Stigian

Great work there Martin, keep the updates and photo's coming :handgestures-thumbup:

mhirst121

Hello again all, I have had no time at all to do anything with the tractor, in fact I am seriously thinking of parting with it or if nobody was interested breaking it. I think that it is too good and complete to break and part out but I will see how it goes. If anyones interested PM me. The tractor is up to where the pics show but all the rest of it is there, blasted and primed. New decals for everything(tractor and engine) new seat(aftermarket not horse), new drive belt, brake and clutch have been relined. I have a garage full of motorbikes and cannot get on with painting the remaining parts of the tractor, so it is really getting in my way at the moment !!!!

Cheers,

MartinH