Sign in to follow this  
mhirst121

BS or RAL paint codes

mhirst121

Does anyone know what the best match is in either BS colour or RAL colour for WH red. Only ask as I have just ordered some International Harvester red and it is absolutely nothing like the red on my horse, it seems to have a very pink tint to it. The original is like fire engine red.

Cheers,

MartinH

wheeledhorseman

Hi Martin

I've just completed my first restoration (C-120 auto) and as a relative newbie myself I spent ages trying to work out what :woohoo: red actually was. The paint they used does not appear to fair well in sunlight which tends to give it an orange hew. One of my 200 series workers is so orange that it is hard to believe it was once red. Even paint not directly affected by sunlight seems to change colour with age.

I opted in the end for IH red which having found some good examples of the original colour on my latest horse project, a D-200 , is a pretty close but not exact match and the IH red I used certainly didn't have a pink hew. When I researched IH red I found that IH used several different reds, one supplier had three different IH red colours in stock. The other issue is that the same colour by different manufacturers is not necessarily the same whether a BS colour or not. Magnolia is a BS colour but B&Q magnolia is quite yellow compared with Crown and always has been.

What I did discover is that for the wheels Land Rover 'Limestone' is a close a match to the original as you are ever likely to find (assuming you have the off-white wheels) though I know that many just paint them white.

Good luck

WH Raider10

Hi,

I used RAL 3003 on mine and I like it very much.

Pieter-Jan :D :woohoo: