Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

Explain this!

coldone

The threashers convention always brings out some "neat" stuff and people. This is just one of them. Some of the things I have seen there was the old "slingshot" guy, he could shoot pecans out of the air with his slingshot and he was doing it from the hip. Balancing 10, 16d nails, on one nail. Fruit in a bottle: pear, apple in an old glass pepsi bottle. Coins grown into a block of wood, wooden puzzles. These are usually older men that are just having fun with us younger guys. If you think hard enough you can usually find the answer. Some do get mad when you figure it out though, the guy with the pear in the bottle wouldnt pay up when i told him how he did it.

It could be using a small glow plug threaded deeper into the plug hole. I suppose there's a tiny pin hole or relief that provides the 'mystical' blow-by. That plug hole is certainly not wide open - the cylinder pressure is way too high and the engine didn't stumble when the plug was removed - that's because the vapor is choked flow through a reduced area opening. IC engines will run fine using only glow ignition on methanol, optionally with a small amount of nitromethane instead of spark and gas. I can't imagine how he did the wiring though to light the plug, but those who fly model airplanes know how small mini spark plugs are for the 50's era spark motors or how tiny miniature aircraft glow plugs are. You could easily hide one. I believe there are people reading this who could handily replicate it.

Also, I think if you removed the wire & pulled a plug (exposed to real ignition pressure) from a running multi cylinder engine it would become a projectile hit you in the face and burn your hands.

I hope no one gets any wise ideas from watching this that it's an okay thing to do on a normal engine - even at idle. :woohoo:

dkopp

I'll bet it's running on model airplane fuel. The nitro content will cause it to run like a diesel but without the black smoke and all. I have run a small briggs engine on model airplane fuel, just not without the plug.

T-Mo

Again, it IS running on gasoline, no diesel, no airplane fuel.

catman81056

Well if it were a normal 4 cycle engine, the show would be over when he pulled the plug. No compression, no fire, nothing to push the piston down. You can see the top end of that engine looks odd, I'm betting it's a shell over the real one. And the exhaust could be routed as normal.

Remember, if it looks to good to be true, it probably aint.

Just my .02

rmaynard

And I am assuming from your recent replies that you know how it works. :woohoo:

Are any of us even close to the correct answer?

T-Mo

And I am assuming from your recent replies that you know how it works. :woohoo:

Are any of us even close to the correct answer?

If you would reread all of the first post in this thread, you will realize that these are not my comments. The simple answer to your question is no. To find out more info, go to the original thread where the info is coming from which is HERE Notice that the original poster in that thread is the one who took the video. I'm sure he has told all he knows on it.

chazm

Here's another one for you to ponder :woohoo:

This guy removes the carb also.

All done with Mirrors & Smoke, All he's missing is the hot blond assistant :D

Chaz

jbumgarner

I am not sure of how this works, but I sure would like to have the extra time to figuire it out. Better yet maybe by the time I am his age I'll have enough time to sit around and fool the young bucks. :woohoo:

mavfreak

I agree with the others on here about the head... To me it looks as though it has a head on top of a head and the metal gruad wraped around the jug that is painted a differnt red just doesn't look right and seams to be hideing something. It also looks as though the exhaust port is lower than it seams it should be.

I think if I would mess around and try something like this thats were I would start :woohoo:

What if the spark wire is grounded to the head somehow and the gasket and head washers are made of insulating material? All you need then, is a small piece of wire wrapped from one of the head bolt shanks inwards towards the combustion chamber and pointed slightly towards the head to make a "gap". A shallow threaded insert deep in the plug hole completes the assembly. A tiny hole in the bolt might allow an insignificant amount of blow-by that could burn a paper hand towel if you exposed it like the rag in the video. I'm not that amazed by this anymore.

mavfreak

I had thought of that at first skinner but I think it would be hard to say that it would be completely isolated...but still a possibility

I know - you're right about that. There's lots of places the spark could jump instead, but I still think with some creative tweaking that's a straight forward way to do it. Plus, then the guy can argue with people all day long (like he does) that he didn't stuff another spark plug down the hole. S.O.I will have something to say about the feasibility of this if he ever decides to wander over here and read the thread.

chris11

There is a running engine under the blue tote, pull start has a belt going down to it, No piston of valves in the block is being used as a muffler. That why the rag got hot.

mavfreak

I saw this on OCC and thought it was interesting enough to post it here.

Watch this video first:

and then read below:

The man said its the original head. It still has the one and only original spark plug hole. Original block. Original Piston. New rings but factory ordered. Original Carb and stock air breather. I asked if the head bolts were original and he said he had to replace them due to the amount of times he removed the head, he stretched the bolts. I also picked the engine up off of the blue bin it was sitting on to make sure there was nothing under it. It was attached soley to the wood board it was sitting on. The blue tub was just a "table". He said it can run all day. Ready to go onto a go-cart or a tiller. Ready to do whatever you want. It just doesnt need the spark plug.

You can see in the video he has another head laying there strictly just for examination so you could see how it would be nearly impossible to add another plug through the side or top.

I believe he answered all of the questions honestly. There was only one thing he wouldn't let us do and that was look down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Obviously whatever he has inside the engine that makes the "spark" is visible through that hole but he wouldn't let us see it and he wouldn't tell us what it is.

The commentary above was from the original poster at OCC and are not my comments.

There is a running engine under the blue tote, pull start has a belt going down to it, No piston of valves in the block is being used as a muffler. That why the rag got hot

You can see the engine and board move on the tote in the video.

But here again we are going off what the person says.

HorseFixer

:D :ROTF: :woohoo:

Don1977

Let's put it this way you can't unscrew a spark plug from a running engine with 100 psi compression and hold on to it when it comes out. There has to be another head below

the one shown with a very small pin hole to set the rag on fire.

Zeek

Hmm . . . I'm not sure I care about the engine . . . the most fascinating thing to me was that you CAN wear cowboy boots WITH shorts and not be made fun of in a crowd . . .

mavfreak

Hmm . . . I'm not sure I care about the engine . . . the most fascinating thing to me was that you CAN wear cowboy boots WITH shorts and not be made fun of in a crowd . . .

:woohoo::D:ROTF::D:P:D:D

Now thats funny right there I don't care who you are!