Sign in to follow this  
mhirst121

Engine paint colour

mhirst121

I am just about to start restoration on my 1979 C-81. All the tinwork is red and the wheels are off-white and the engine is black. I would like to know if the engine being black is the correct colour for it. You see alot of them painted red to match the rest of the tractor and my Commando 800 has a red engine, so is black the supplied colour when new?

Cheers,

MartinH

rmaynard

All C-81's I have seen in the U.S. have had red engines. Don't take this as gospel, but I have been told that when Kohler supplies a replacement engine, it is black.

meadowfield

I've only seen black engines on the newer Toro tractors. Every tractor I've ever seen thats pre 80' has always been sprayed red.

mark

mhirst121

Thanks both, looks like red it will be.

My commando also has the clutch missing, can you retrofit a manual clutch assembly in place of the electronic one?

Cheers again,

MartinH

meadowfield

I think if you can get the parts from another C series, then providing the shaft on the K-181 is the right size, it should convert no issues. (I'm assuming they are the same as the 10hp up)

There are two variants of PTO control rod, but the clutch linkage and brake are the same.

You should alerady have the holes in the chassis, etc to bolt the parts back in. Sounds like you just need a willing donor !

mark

mhirst121

Thanks Mark, I will be doing the C-81 first, started the stripdown tonight :woohoo: Takes a little more time than anticipated due to all the bolts being siezed solid, had to cut most of them off or drill them out !!!

Cheers,

MartinH