Sign in to follow this  
Tim S.

B-100 brakes

Tim S.

The brakes work facing downhill but facing uphill and start to coast backwards they don't grab tires turn, are they wearing out or is it the design. Are there specs on the brakes to check for wear?

Thanks, Tim

rmaynard

What's the model number on your B-100?

There is an adjustment nut on the brake. As the pad wears, the nut can be tightened to compensate for the wear. The adjustment procedure is in the manual. If you don't have a manual, one can be downloaded from any number of sources. If you PM me with your email address, I can email a copy to you.

• Excellent 1

Tim S.

I think the model is 71-10k801. How do you tell how far it is worn without something to compare it to is that in the manual.

Thanks,Tim

rmaynard

A physical inspection should reveal whether or not you have any lining left. They start out about 3/16" thick. Also, if the seal is leaking behind the brake drum, the pad could be getting oil soaked.

shorts

Part of it is in the design, the anchor pin doesn't move, as you apply the brake in forward the rotation of the drum and friction helps the linkage to pull the band tight, in reverse the drum turns towards the anchor pin and tries to release the tension on the brakes.

keep the brakes properly adjusted and the drum clean and dry.