Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

71 W.H. Bronco 14... Help Me Out Please

71_Bronco

Hello everybody, This is my first post on here. I just picked up a Wheel Horse this weekend, and I need a little help.

The guy I bought it from said it was a 1971 Wheel Horse Bronco 14. Has the 14 Horse Kohler motor, electric ignition, hydraulic lift, tach-o-matic, original wheel horse tires, chrome hub-caps. The tractor is all there, the metal is all solid, very light surface ruse here and there, no holes or thin metal. It runs great, and drives fine.

The bads now. The ignition switch has some bad contacts, so I need to wiggle the key to get it to start. The lights are all there, but they don't turn on when I hit the switch. The metal looks like it had some tough-up painting done, as some of it doesn't match. It looks like there is holes to mount a rear light, but the light isn't there. The tires are a little rotted and cracked, but still hold air fine, so those are gonna be a later replace. Also, the decals on the side of the hood, and top of the hood were taken off. I plan on buying a repro set to replace them.

So here is the plan. I have a friend who does body-work for a living, so I am going to tear down the tractor and have him blast, prime, and paint the main pieces. I'm gonna clean up all the big parts, and replace the worn stuff as mentioned above. I want to find a 42" Rear Discharge deck to put on it (I have a Mule Drive en-route already). The plan is, that when I move out, I will have a cool old tractor to use for lawn use and mowing the lawn.

If anybody can help point me to the things I need, the help would be greatly appreciated. The little stuff I find on ebay for good prices, but the big stuff like a deck and new tires, I'm gonna need help for.

Thanks for looking, below are pics of the tractor when I brought it home, enjoy :woohoo:

IMG_2938.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

mr.pipes

That tractor looks very familiar

:woohoo:

Post a wanted ad here for the deck if you want.

Check the classifieds here, CL and ebay

tunahead72

Meaning ... ? :woohoo:

--------

71_Bronco,

First, :D

I just recently dealt with a couple of the same electrical problems you mentioned.

First, the ignition switch -- I simply removed mine and cleaned all the contacts with a sharp knife until they were shiny, and cleaned out all the dirt and grass clippings that had accumulated over the years in all the connectors, made a world of difference.

Likewise the light switch -- turned out my headlights were just DEAD, should have checked them first, but they work well now.

Make sure all the wiring and connectors are intact, and clean off and tighten all the connections to ground that you come across, all those things should help a lot. If you still have problems, ask again here, there's lots of help to be had.

About the tires: You said the tractor came with "original wheel horse tires". Do they actually have the Wheel Horse name on them? As long as they hold air and give you decent traction, I would be inclined to hold on to them as long as I could, maybe patch or replace the tube if it's necessary, depending on how much time and money you want to spend on them. New tires are pricey, I usually get mine from one of our local tire dealers, others here swear by Miller Tire.

mr.pipes has some good ideas for the deck. For parts generally, check out some of the links in this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=143

Do you have manuals for your machine? I recommend them highly, both for the tractor and the engine, and for any attachments you might pick up in the future. You'll find sources in the link I just posted.

By the way, I like the little "spider web" paint detail on the hood, nice touch!

Good luck, and have fun with your new toy!

Edjfleming

Hey, I know the 3 previous owners, Nice tractor, Welcome to redsquare!!

71_Bronco

Meaning ... ? :D

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=23594 :woohoo:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:ROTF: "71_Bronco"

Hey, thats my tractor :D

Thanks for the info so far. I can't wait to start working on it. I love this tractor so much, it was exactly what I wanted.

While I do agree the spider-web is pretty cool, and a little unique, it is coming off to make way for the original style "wheel horse" decal.

One other thing I noticed too, was that the top of the hood looks like it had 3 stripes going down it at one time. One big fat one in the middle and two thinner ones, one on each side. I am able to find reproduction decals for the sides, but not the top. I am also going to need one for the back, as that one is starting to get mangled as you can see from the pics.

I was also thinking about the exhaust. I know it is suppose to tuck inside of the hood / grill, but to me, that seems like a flawed design. Number 1, it makes the exhaust blow dirrectly onto the front axle, and I am not sure if that woul be good for the metal / paint to have that. Also, it puts the hot exhaust right next to the air cleaner. I would think that would be bad as the motor would then be sucking in hot air instead of cool air. I was thinking about coming straight out the side, do an elbow up, and do a mini-stack type deal on it. What do you guys think?

Also, on the back, i mentioned about the tail-light that is missing. Was there only one light or two there? Also seems that I cannot find an older light, just new ones. Would it be okay to use one of the new dual-bulb tail-lights?

Thanks again for the help so far. I will try to hunt down some manuals for it.

ETA: Tunahead72, Yes, the tires say "Wheel Horse" on them, as far as I can tell, they are the originals. They hold air fine, and aren't leaking, but they do have some cracks in them. My uncle suggested I use an inner-tube, and leave the originals on there. If I was to buy new tires, I would keep these though, as they are, from what I can tell, the original ones.

rmaynard

I will try to hunt down some manuals for it.

I have a manual for the 1972 Bronco 14. PM me with your email address and I will forward a copy to you.

fireman

Man that thing has made the rounds! You must be from the CT area.

71_Bronco

One other thing. I know this is gonna sound retarded, but this is my first "old" tractor. What should I run for fuel in it? Is regular okay? Or should I put the higher grade gas in it?

Thanks

71_Bronco

Man that thing has made the rounds! You must from the CT area.

hahaha, Yes, I am located in CT

fireman

Regular is fine. Go to the local auto store and pick up the special enzyme additive that counteracts the effect of the ethanol. Otherwise it will eat all the older rubber and gaskets and cause you problems.

jasoncracer

Im one of the previous owners its all original why would you tear it down? Do the wrist pin or rod in the motor first! Other than that it is a great tractor orinal is way I like them.

71_Bronco

Im one of the previous owners its all original why would you tear it down? Do the wrist pin or rod in the motor first! Other than that it is a great tractor orinal is way I like them.

Well, I was going to tear it down and do a resto on it, although I am kinda second-guessing that to be honest. I want to use this tractor, not have it sit and look pretty.

The biggest reason why I was going to tear it down was to clean and repaint it. It looks like someone tried to paint parts of it at one time, but didnt use the correct color, and you can see where the "blends" are, if thats what you wanna call it. The biggest thing I wanted to do was to stop the rust, give it a solid color, and put the correct decals on it.

I am guessing by your post, that you think it would be better to just leave it as it is and use it?

dennist

The previous owners are EXACTLY that. This is your tractor now and if you want to do something with it, then go ahead. :woohoo:

jasoncracer

Do what youd like ! Just a opinion worry about that motor first no offense

71_Bronco

Do what youd like ! Just a opinion worry about that motor first no offense

No offense taken, just trying to see your reasoning. If I didnt want any opinions on it, I wouldnt have posted it and have just done what I wanted.

I can see your side, that it is an original tractor and to leave it. But seeing as it already has had some "repairs" done to it cosmeticly, I would think that re-painting and re-decaling it would only make it a nicer ride.

And please excuse my lack of knowlege, but what do you mean by "do the wrist pin or rod"? Are these problem parts that need to be replaced or something?

71_Bronco

One other thing I am curious about, is that "peg" thing on the end of the foot-plate. What is that used for?

IMG_2934.jpg

jasoncracer

The discolor is from owner before me used straight purple power it took paint off by accident!

520HC

I don't care how many owners have had it, but PLEASE, someone do something with that exhaust!!!! :woohoo:

71_Bronco

I don't care how many owners have had it, but PLEASE, someone do something with that exhaust!!!! :woohoo:

Believe me, it will be changed by me, probably before the year is over lol.

"I was also thinking about the exhaust. I know it is suppose to tuck inside of the hood / grill, but to me, that seems like a flawed design. Number 1, it makes the exhaust blow dirrectly onto the front axle, and I am not sure if that woul be good for the metal / paint to have that. Also, it puts the hot exhaust right next to the air cleaner. I would think that would be bad as the motor would then be sucking in hot air instead of cool air. I was thinking about coming straight out the side, do an elbow up, and do a mini-stack type deal on it. What do you guys think?"

That was from a previous post of mine, I'm not sure if I want to do the "stack" style or do it back to factory. I'm prolly gonna decide when it is all togather and I can see what it will look like both ways.

wheelhorsec85

wow :D i am the second owner . there is a total of 4 owners before you . that tractor is a very nice machine . and fairly rare , due to the fact its got all the pieces it came with from the factory . which are never there . sold it because it was to nice to just use. it is really more a collector piece . and i use these machines . good luck with her . and i hope she gives you many more years of service and loads of fun :D:D:ROTF::D:P:D p.s. i had my pinstripper buddy free hand the cobb webs on the hood . it just gave it a very unique look and thought it was cool . also gave it a mark that everytime she popped up here everybody would recognize her . :woohoo:

wheelhorsec85

o and to answer a question you have . to get the lights and electric clutch to work . start the tractor .after it is running turn the key back one notch only and then your lights and electric pto will work it is a unique ign switch . and somebody on here should have one for you :woohoo: .

71_Bronco

o and to answer a question you have . to get the lights and electric clutch to work . start the tractor .after it is running turn the key back one notch only and then your lights and electric pto will work it is a unique ign switch . and somebody on here should have one for you :D .

Very interesting. I will have to try that. Maybe that is why the lights didn't work. I will try that before I start messing with the wiring.

I located a 42" side discharge deck from another member on here, and will be picking it up in a week or two. I am hoping to have it all done by the time next summer rolls around.

I will keep you guys posted on any progress I make with it.

As to the spider-webs, as much as I like them, they are gonna be replaced with the wheel horse decal. Maybe after the tractor is done, I can hook up with your friend and have some webs put on in a different place, maybe on the big plain fenders, so it can still be a one-off, and people will know its the same one :woohoo:

546cowboy

There was racing stripe down the center of the hood originally. I had a Bronco 14 that had been painted green. You may have seen it here on Red Square a couple months ago. Anyway I had the stripe made by a local sign maker. Here are some pics one with the stripe.

RightSide2.jpg

Dash.jpg

:woohoo:

71_Bronco

looks good 546cowboy! I hope mine looks as good when I'm done. Thanks for the motivation!