Sign in to follow this  
HorseFixer

Kohler Soft Coil Exterior

HorseFixer

I Experienced A situation the other day when I was working on my RJ-57 that was running rough uppon removal of the flywheel and removing the Ignition coil that it felt soft, I mean to the point where it felt like a Gel Pad Armrest on a computer work station..... :D Well maybe not quite that bad :WRS: I was told by a friend of mine that has a small engine shop that Briggs and stratton years ago was experiencing a similar problem that they could not duplicate in their test facilities.

They then went back to the customers that had the problem and found that all of them had done recent welding on their tractors. Briggs then was sucessfull in the duplication and found that under certain conditions this caused the coil to heat up and melt the exterior plastic coil shell and many coils were ruined. :whistle:

Have any of you ever heard of this or had a coil on a Kohler that has had this problem? I may see this happening if you were welding on one end of the tractor and the welder was grounded on the opposite end and maybe the ground wasn't good. but I dont know :D whats your opinions?

Duke

WheelHorse_of_course

Well, I do know the manual for my Kohler warns about welding.

I would think that the soft exterior function would be related to the specific design of the coil (plastic outer covering VS painted metal can but that the heat caused by the welding would be constant.

Welding uses a high amount of current which can magnetically couple to other things, a multi-turn bundle of wires (e.g. coil) is optimal for such coupling.

Sounds believable but probably rare.

TT

The electric welding warning is consistent with any machine with an alternator containing diodes. (or other similar electronic devices)

When welding is performed on anything with electrics/electronics of any sophisticated nature, it is recommended that all power sources be disconnected (batteries - which is irrelevant to an RJ, of course) and that the ground lead be located as close as possible to the area where the welding must be done. (and preferably clamped to the same piece on an area that has been sanded or ground to bare metal to ensure adequate contact.)

I have welded many Briggs powered push mower decks and never had an issue with ignition coils. It almost sounds as though the welding was done on the chassis, and the ground cable clamp was placed on the engine. (like a head bolt -- or maybe even the spark plug. :whistle: )

I guess anything's possible, but I have yet to see a "soft" coil with my own four eyes. :WRS:

HorseFixer

I guess anything's possible, but I have yet to see a "soft" coil with my own four eyes.

TT I hear ya bro! And would not have believed it myself, Was in advance electronics program in the Navy Am an HVAC Contractor And have welded for many years. I agree with the improper grounding to the engine theory! Electricity will take the path of least resistance!

See Pics Below

Duke

SoftCoil001.jpg

SoftCoil002.jpg

SoftCoil003.jpg