Sign in to follow this  
lotus

I've killed my red horse

lotus

Because of ignition problems with my red steed, I improvised the wire conections to the ignition, and it worked, i got my horse started and mowed the lawn.

At the end my Wheel Horse died, like completely, it seems that in my futile attempts to fix the ignition, i have managed to keep the DC starter motor running all the time it took to mowe the lawn.

So im standing here trying to figure out what part failed, from a quick DC motor test, i think that at least its okay.

But what else could have failed and killed my horse?

smoreau

:woohoo: and it would help if you told us what model tractor you have we can help you figure out whats wrong with your tractor.

lotus

helloooo

Its a Wheel Horse 108.

HorseFixer

:D

On yer tractor... :woohoo: Uhh no such thing as a :P model 108 :D

Cheers ~Duke

:ROTF:

lotus

A model 108 it is :woohoo:

If in doubt google Wheel Horse 108.

I must warn you, its kinda old.

But I think we can get along even if you dont know my model.

The electrical components must be (relatively) the same, on this kind of lawn mowers...the ones you sit on.

I would like to know what parts usually could be responsible for why the DC starter motor wont get any current?

Stator? regulator? etc.

And how to test if they are broken.

rmaynard

Yup, a rear engine rider. Let me take a look in the files, I may have a manual. At least that's a starting point.

:woohoo:

VinsRJ

And good luck with the fix, lots of good people here willing to help. :woohoo:

rmaynard

Take a look and see if you can find the ID tag. Should be one of the following numbers:

33-08B301

33-08B303

23-08B304

33-08B401

33-08B402

33-08B501

33-08B502

33-08B503

33-08B504

33-08X301

33-08X303

B3-08B302

B3-08B303

B3-08B391

rmaynard

I searched Toro Master parts viewer and came up with all those numbers listed above. :woohoo:

However, having checked my manuals, the closest thing I have is a 110-4 owners manual.

Duff

Duke-ster, I have to disagree with you, buddy - 108 was indeed a :D model number. Back in the '90's I had a 108R, 8 hp. vertical engine (can't remember who made the motor)and it was a :ROTF: for sure. Rear engine rider, built better than anything comparable I've seen before or since in the rear-engine rider department.

Duff :woohoo:

M151A1

I just did a search on Google Images for "108 Wheel Horse rear engine" and came across a Toro Wheel horse 108-3 for sale. It is a 8hp B&S rear engine rider, with bagger, 30" deck 3-speed for $299

There is a picture with the model number visiable that reads 108-3.

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/homeowner/deal.../used-products/

Hope this helps.

Tyson

HorseFixer

Duke-ster, I have to disagree with you, buddy - 108 was indeed a :D model number. Back in the '90's I had a 108R, 8 hp. vertical engine (can't remember who made the motor)and it was a :D for sure. Rear engine rider, built better than anything comparable I've seen before or since in the rear-engine rider department.

Duff :D

Well allrighty then :woohoo: 108 it is..... :ROTF: Now let's have a :P:D

Cheers ~Duke :D

MikesRJ

There were, in fact, 14 models in the 108 Rear Engine Rider line, built between 1981 and 1988. Maynard had it right all along, and the other bob was talking out his backside. Go figure? :woohoo:

B3-08B302 1981 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B301 1985 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B501 1985 108-5 Rear Engine Rider

33-08X301 1985 108-R Rear Engine Rider

33-08B303 1986 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B502 1986 108-5 Rear Engine Rider

33-08X303 1986 108-R Rear Engine Rider

B3-08B303 1986 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B304 1987 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B401 1987 108-4 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B503 1987 108-5 Rear Engine Rider

B3-08B391 1987 108-3 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B402 1988 108-4 Rear Engine Rider

33-08B504 1988 108-5 Rear Engine Rider

lotus

Now that we have established that my Wheel horse really do exist, i hope that we are ready to move on and face the real problems :D

As I stated earlier, the DC motor works, so something that is supposed to supply the DC motor with power obviously does not work.

So my red horse team mates, fire away what could be the cause! :woohoo:

rmaynard

Hang in there Lotus, if someone can locate a wiring diagram it would be a lot easier. The 108 series is not as collectible as the tractors, therefore little is know by most of us.

Hopefully someone will come along with the answer you need.

WH nut

Now that we have established that my Wheel horse really do exist, i hope that we are ready to move on and face the real problems :ROTF:

As I stated earlier, the DC motor works, so something that is supposed to supply the DC motor with power obviously does not work.

So my red horse team mates, fire away what could be the cause! :woohoo:

Battery maybe? :D

bigd

it sounds like you managed to run a hot wire to energize the solenoid or your solenoid is stuck.

HorseFixer
There were, in fact, 14 models in the 108 Rear Engine Rider line, built between 1981 and 1988. Maynard had it right all along, and the other bob was talking out his backside. Go figure?

lotus

If I bypass the ignition system and connect my car battery to the DC starter motor, which in turn would make the main motor turn(i dont know its technical term for that motor)

Would it be enough to power the spark plug? through the ignition coil or magneto circuit ofcourse.

Or is it likely that the spark plug circuit cant be bypassed around the ignition circuit?

farmer

Forget the Bat Signal, RS needs a Squirrel signal :woohoo:

HorseFixer

If I bypass the ignition system and connect my car battery to the DC starter motor, which in turn would make the main motor turn(i dont know its technical term for that motor)

Would it be enough to power the spark plug? through the ignition coil or magneto circuit ofcourse.

Or is it likely that the spark plug circuit cant be bypassed around the ignition circuit?

Lotus can you help us out, and can you find your Model # :woohoo: it will help us determine what model and year you have. We know what the Product name or type of tractor you have :D but it may help, as I possibly can call My Toro Dealer and have him Fax Me a wireing diagram for your specific Tractor. :ROTF: There are many different Models withing the 108 catergory. My dealer is going to ask me for that model # information when I call him. :D

Lotus, yes you can turn over the tractor that way with car battery by having the ground to the engine and touch hot lead to your starter. (use long leads as to keep sparks away from yer battery) But you will also need to energize the coil in order to get spark (that is if you have a coil type setup). I would rather see you start that engine through a solenoid the correct & safe way. :D

Cheers ~Duke

:P

MikesRJ

flap, flap, flap ... :woohoo:

Somebody out there has to have a Wiring Diagram for one of these. Let me check the archives and I'll see what I can locate.

rmaynard

The 108's had an 8HP Briggs & Stratton engine.

According to Toro, there were two different engines. A 109707-2154-01 and a 193707-0148-01. The latter is the only one that comes up at the B&S web site.

You can go to the Briggs & Stratton web site and download a parts manual, and an owners manual. I looked at them, but they did not offer too much help for your situation. Maybe you can contact B&S and see if they have a wiring diagram for the engine.

From what I did glean from the parts pictures, there are several different stators. So you are working with an alternator type engine. That means that somewhere on the engine or the tractor is a rectifier to convert the AC to DC for charging the battery,

lotus

My Horse id numbers are more or less worn off,

but i have the demystification guide and i have found some schematics in it, now i just have to understand what it. :woohoo:

HorseFixer

My Horse id numbers are more or less worn off,

but i have the demystification guide and i have found some schematics in it, now i just have to understand what it. :D

Awe crap, :ROTF: figured thats why ya never posted the model in the first place! :P Do you have a scanner to scan the schematics. I have a rear engine 1982 WH Rider RR832 type Model # A3-083201 does have a briggs I think I have the manual I can ck and scan & post if schematics are in there if ya cant scan & post yers. Lemme know. :woohoo:

Cheers ~Duke